- Text Size +
As the elevator went up to the 17th floor, it seemed like hours before it even reached there. Leighanne and Brian were the only ones in the elevator and they avoided contact with each other, fearing what the other will say.
Finally, after a moment of silence, Brian stretched out his arm and lay his hand on Leighanne’s shoulder. Leighanne looked at Brian, her brown eyes revealing something which she wasn’t saying.
“Baylee’s going to be okay.” Brian comforted as the elevator doors finally opened in the 17th floor.

“He’s in a critical condition.” Leighanne told Brian quietly as they entered Baylee’s room. Brian was pierced by the sight of Baylee. There were several doctors inside and they were trying to raise up Baylee’s heart rate, which was dangerously low. Many tubes were connected to him, and at the sight of it, it seemed like he was dependent on it to live, but truly, Brian knew that Baylee’s life was entirely on God’s hands. He then remembered the time they were doing that to him 25 years ago. He remembered the power of prayer that healed him miracously. Leighanne was horrified by the sight, and was in tears on his arms.
After sometime, a doctor approached them, clearly with bad news by the look on his eyes.
“We believe that Baylee’s heart rate is decreasing and we are effortless to increase his heart rate. We advise you to prepare for funeral arrangements.”
“Let me go to him.” Brian replied firmly.
“Okay.” the doctor said letting him pass through.
Brian held his son’s pale and limp hand and felt his pulse grow weaker and weaker…
He finally laid his hand on Baylee’s small body and began to pray.
He kissed his son in the forehead with compassion and went back to Leighanne. The doctors went back to their positions and did their best to revive him. His heart stopped momentarily and everyone thought that he was dead. Leighanne cried and Brian could feel tears build up in his eyes. But then Baylee’s heart beat again, and they said a prayer of thanks because of that. His heart rate increased until it came to a normal boy’s heart rate.
One of the doctors approached him and told him, “We’ve never seen a miracle like that before. That’s amazing.”
“Don’t thank me,” Brian replied looking up, “thank God.”.
The doctor nodded and went back to his work.
Leighanne hugged Brian and apologized, “I’m so sorry, Brian.”
“It’s okay, Leighanne.” Brian replied, smiling, a thought in his mind.