- Text Size +

The waiting had to be the worst part. Howie desperately wanted to know what was going on in that room, but Brian had insisted that they go to the kitchen for some coffee.

Coffee was the last thing Howie wanted, but he knew Brian was right. Standing outside that door was not going to make it open. So finally he resigned his position at the door and headed to the kitchen.

For half an hour Howie just stared at his coffee cup, every once in a while taking a small sip. Brian watched him, trying to figure out exactly how to ask the question he’d wanted to ask for the last eight months. Finally he decided to skip all the formalities and just ask.

“Uh, Howie, I need to know something. I mean it sorta took all of us by surprise, but we accepted it because Nick seemed to accept it, but how did you and Noelle get to be you and Noelle? All we knew was that she and Nick fought and next thing we know you and Noelle are living together.”

Howie took a deep breath and settled further down into his seat. He’d been waiting for someone to ask this question. He should have known it would be Brian. He was always watching out for Nick.

“Well, it all started the night that Nick broke up with her. I got a phone call that night from Nick. I could tell he was crying, even though he was trying to hide it. He told me about the fight and how she’d stormed out upset. He was worried about her and he wanted me to go look for her.

“See, he was sure that she was down by the lake downtown, you know the one just east of the club. So I went down there, and sure enough there she sat at the amphitheater, just staring out over the lake. Tears were slowly rolling down her cheeks. There was such an eerie beauty to it, the way the moon illuminated her pale face.

“I whispered her name and she didn’t seem startled. She just slowly turned around and faced me. We stood there for what seemed like forever, but couldn’t have been more than just a few minutes. Finally she just walked towards my car, and I followed her. We got in and I drove to my house.”

Brian just sat there with his mouth slightly agape. There had to be more to this story than that.

“That’s it? You found her, drove her to your home, and… and… and what Howie? She just decided that you were the one she was meant to be with, screw Nick?”

The tone in Brian’s voice made Howie cringe slightly. He knew it would be hard for everyone to understand, but it was said and done now. There was no way to change any of it.

“No Brian, it was nothing like that. After Nick just threw her away like that she was devastated. She stayed here, in that same spare room, and just as she was coming to terms with what had happened the bomb was dropped on her. She had no idea about the girl and the baby until she read it in the newspaper. Do you know how hard that was on her?

“After that she couldn’t stand the thought of Nick. She asked to stay here until she could get on her feet and get her own place, and of course I said yes. It was strictly platonic until about a week after the baby news.”

Howie picked up his coffee cup and motioned to Brian’s. Brian nodded and Howie went over to the counter to top off their now luke warm coffee. Howie brought the cups back and sat them on the table. He folded his right leg under him as he sat down, and then took a sip of his coffee.

He looked at Brian and said, “I know what you’re thinking. You’re thinking I took advantage of her in her time of need, but you couldn’t be more wrong. It was her who took the situation further.

“I woke up one night to find her sneaking in my room. I asked her what was wrong, thinking she’d had a bad dream or something spooked her, but she just laid a finger over my lips and told me to be quiet. I knew what she was doing, and I knew I should have stopped her, but I couldn’t. There was just something about the way she looked at me.

“We made love for hours, and then she fell asleep in my arms. She slept the entire night, which was the first time she’d done that since she’d moved in here. The next day she said that she felt so safe with me that she didn’t want to leave, and I told her she didn’t have to.

“Looking at it now, I know she married me for the safety and security. She knows I’ll never hurt her. Unfortunately, I married her for love. I love that woman more than anything, and I’m just a safety net for her, keeping the big, bad world at bay.”

A tear slipped down Howie’s cheek, and he brushed it away quickly, but not before Brian saw it.

Brian took a deep breath, and let out a heavy sigh. Just as he was about to say something else to Howie he saw Leighanne appear in the doorway.
     Howie followed Brian’s gaze, and as soon as he saw Leighanne he stood. Leighanne put her hand up and shook her head.

“She’s not ready to come out yet. She’s resting. I got her to eat a little bit though. I think I’ll have better luck tomorrow.”

Brian just nodded and said, “Well we should get going. We need to get a hotel room before they all get booked up.”

“Nonsense.”

Brian and Leighanne both looked at Howie.

“I mean, there is plenty of room here. There’s no need for you to get a hotel room. Stay here. I think it might be better that way, just in case.”

Leighanne saw the look in Howie’s eyes, so she simply nodded her head.


After getting their luggage in and getting settled in their room, Leighanne sat on the bed and watched as Brian set about the room putting things in their place.

“What?”

Leighanne just smiled. “I’m just thinking of how great we have it. I mean, doesn’t all this make you realize that?”

Brian walked over and sat down next to his wife. “I do have the most amazing wife in the world.”

Leighanne giggled, and Brian leaned in placing a gentle kiss on her lips.

“Come on, let’s get to bed. It’s been a long day.”


Noelle waited until well after three am. She wanted to make sure everyone was asleep. She picked up the phone and dialed the number.

A groggy voice answered the phone. “Hello?”

“Jenn? Its Noelle. I’m headed your way.”

“Wait. What? Why?”

“It’s a long story. I’ll explain when I get there.”

Jenn rolled over and looked at the clock. 3:19am.

“Geez Elle, its almost three thirty. Is it so important that you couldn’t wait until in the morning?”

“Yes Jenn. I want to get out of here before anyone sees me.”

“Wait why?” Before Jenn could get an answer she heard the phone click.


Noelle slowly opened the door, careful not to make a sound. She walked down the hall, through the kitchen, and over to the front door. She turned off the alarm, as quietly as possible, and headed out the door. She could see the taxi she had called waiting by the curb.

As she walked down the drive she glanced back one more time. Her heart was breaking all over again.

“Maybe one day you’ll understand.”