- Text Size +

Noelle stepped off the plane with a huge sigh of relief.  She’d made it.  Now she just needed to find a place to stay and lay low for a while, at least until she could figure out how to break the news to Howie.

 

She made her way through the terminal to the food court where she found a little shop that sold newspapers.  After making her purchase she found an empty table and sat down, flipping the paper open and finding the ads. 

 

There were plenty of ads for vacation rentals, and after circling a few that looked promising she found a phone and began to call.

 At first luck was against her.  Every place she called was already rented.  Finally she decided to make one last call.  Amazingly enough, the place was available and perfect for her.  Just a small two-bedroom cottage steps from the beach with a big porch to sit on and watch the sun set.  She made all the arrangements and jotted down the directions, and then she grabbed her bags and headed out to find a taxi. 

 

 

He sat at a table close by and listened as she made her calls.  She was renting a place for the week.  Well, a week wasn’t so bad.  He hoped all this would be over by then, but if not, he hoped that she wouldn’t stumble across the truth.

 

He picked up his phone, dialing a number and placing the receiver to his ear.

 

“We’re here.  She’s rented a place for a week.  I’ll keep an eye on her.  How are things in Florida?  You got everything we need yet?  Well, you call as soon as you get it.  And call Jenn.  Tell her to book a flight to come down in a few days.  I want her here in case something happens.  Look she’s heading out.  I’ve got to go.”

 He disconnected the call and began to follow her out, keeping his distance. 

 

 

Howie stood suddenly, sending his chair crashing to the floor.

 

“That’s it!  We’ve been searching for hours.  We’re not going to find her without more help.”

 

Brian looked at Howie and sighed.  He was right, but who could they call.  Yes, they could call the police, but for some reason Howie was dead set against it.  Plus, it hadn’t been 24 hours since she had gone missing, so they wouldn’t touch it.  And was she missing?  She left on her own accord, although no one seemed to know why.

 

Then it hit him.  What had Leighanne said that morning?

 

"He’s going to need help, Brian.  You have no idea what he’s going to have to face.”

 

As if reading Brian’s thoughts, Leighanne turned to find him watching her intently.  His eyes felt like they were burning through her.  He knew she was hiding something from him.

 

Brian stood and stretched, then turned to Howie.

 

“I think I’m going to go get some more coffee.  I’ll be right back.”

 

Then he turned to Leighanne and motioned with his head for her to follow him.  As soon as they were out the door of the security office he placed his hand on her elbow, causing her to turn and look at him.

 

“You want to tell me what’s going on?”

 

“What are you talking about?”

 

Brian sighed and ran his through his tousled hair.

 

“You know something.  Why did she run?”

 

Finally the pressure was too much and a single tear found its way down her cheek.

 

“She’s scared, but I don’t know why she ran.  Brian, we have to find her.  She’s…  well, we just have to find her.”

 

Brian wrapped his arms around his wife, holding her close to him and rubbing her back comfortingly.

 

“Leigh,” he whispered, “you have to tell me what you know.  We need all the help we can get to find her.”

 

Leighanne looked up at her husband and nodded.

 

“I’ll tell you, but have to promise me that you won’t tell Howie.”

 

Brian began to protest, but Leighanne put her finger to his lips to silence him.

 

“It’s not our place to tell him, Brian.  Promise me.  I’m not sure it will help you find her, but I’ll tell you what I know.”

 

He nodded his head.  Keeping secrets from Howie right now didn’t seem the best way to go, but he had to hear what she knew.  Maybe it would help. 

 

“Um…”  Leighanne took a deep breath and then sighed.  “She’s pregnant, and she’s scare to tell Howie.”

 

Shocked, Brian took a step back and looked at his wife.

 

“Why would she be scared to tell Howie?  I know they just got married, but Howie loves kids.  He’d be ecstatic.”

 

“I’m not so sure.”

 

“Why is that?”

 

A tear ran down Leighanne’s face again, and she brushed it away quickly.

 “Because the baby isn’t Howie’s, its Nick’s.” 

 

 

Jenn hung up the phone and stared at it for a moment. 

 

So it’s really going to happen this week huh? she thought to herself.  She wasn’t sure if she was glad this part was almost over, or dreading what would happen next, but she would be there through it all.  Noelle would need her.

 

Sitting down at her desk, she turned her computer on and began to search for a flight.  She’d fly out tomorrow.  Sure they’d said a few days, but she’d rather be early than too late.

 After booking the flight she went to her room to pack.  She just needed a couple of outfits.  They wouldn’t be there long. 

 

 

The air in the bar was hazy, but he didn’t mind it.  He found solace in watching the tourist come in and out of his bar.  No worries, no cares.  They laughed and drank, never a second thought about life.  He use to be that way.

 

He made his way to the back and into his office.  He slumped down into his chair and took a look around. 

 

“So this is my life?  How did it get to this?”

 

He sighed and leaned back in this chair, flopping his arm over his eyes.

 “This sucks!” 

 

 

Noelle paid the cab driver then made her way up the path to the little cottage.  Just as she stepped onto the porch the front door opened.

 

“Ah, you must be Noelle.  Please, come in.”

 

It was an older lady, barely five-foot, but she had a spunk about her.  She walked Noelle through the cottage familiarizing her with everything.  As she handed her the key she motioned for Noelle to follow her into the kitchen.

 

“I’ve left a list of emergency numbers here by the phone just in case. My number is on the bottom of the list too in case you have any problems here.  Also, in this drawer are some take out menus.  Most of them will deliver here.”

 

Noelle just nodded, and the older lady grabbed her purse and headed for the door.  Just as she reached the door she turned to look at Noelle.  There was a slight frown on her face.  She watched Noelle for a moment, then nodded and left.

 Breathing a sigh of relief Noelle eased herself onto the couch.  She leaned her head back and closed her eyes.  She would rest for just a moment. 

 

 

Brian made his way back into the security office. Howie glanced up and noticed that Leighanne wasn’t with him.

“Where’s Leigh?”

Brian sighed and dropped down into the chair across from him.

“She was tired, so I told her to get a room at a hotel nearby and lie down for a bit.”

“Good idea. I was thinking, maybe I should call a private investigator. It would be less public than calling the cops, and we could be involved in the search.”

Brian nodded. It sounded like a good plan. He motioned Howie towards the door.

“Let’s head to the hotel. We can start making calls.”

Howie and Brian left the security office heading off to the hotel, with a sense of renewed hope.

 


 

           

Noelle sat up and stretched a bit, then noticed that the room seemed darker. 

 

"Hmm… I must have dozed off.”

 

She walked over to the back door and glanced out the window.  The sun was almost gone, setting in a beautiful array of oranges, pinks and purples over the ocean.  She sighed at the sight before her.  She felt peaceful here.

 

It was then that her stomach growled loudly.  She giggled and placed her hand on her abdomen.

 

“Yes, ok, I hear you.  Maybe dinner would be a good idea.”

 

She walked into the kitchen and began to go through the menus in the drawer.  Maybe she’d actually get out and go to dinner.  With the make over she knew that she wouldn’t be spotted, and she hadn’t been able to go out to dinner in public for years without someone recognizing her.

 

“Ok little one, this place looks promising.  According to the map it’s not far from here.  The Local Bar.”  She giggled to herself and replied sarcastically, “What a unique name.”

 

She grabbed the house keys and headed out.  It was just a couple of blocks away, so she’d decided to walk and enjoy the evening.

 

When she got to the bar she smiled.  It was perfect.  There was a porch wrapping around the west side of the building peppered with tables.  The windows were open and music was filtering out into the dusk. 

 

She situated herself at a table overlooking the ocean.  Although the sun had set, the sky was still a blend of pinks and purples, and the breeze was warm and comforting.

 

“Can I get you something Miss?”

 

Noelle had been so lost in the view that she hadn’t noticed the young waitress approach the table. 

 

“Oh, um, yes.  A sweet tea and a club sandwich please.  Oh, and can you have them put some extra pickles on the side please?”

 

The waitress looked at Noelle’s pregnant figure and just grinned.

 

“Absolutely Miss.”  Then she disappeared back into the bar, leaving Noelle with the view and her thoughts.

 

Staring out over the water her thoughts once again drifted back to Nick.  Could she raise this child without him?  How would she explain why its father wasn’t around?  Should she tell Howie the truth?  There would be so many questions.  She wasn’t ready for any of it.

 

She glanced inside towards the bar and noticed a man behind the bar.  He was fairly good looking with brown hair and a goatee, and even though she knew she couldn’t know him there was something familiar about him.  She stared at him and suddenly felt at ease.

 

Just then she felt something and froze.  There it was again, a feeling in the pit of her stomach.  Not a pain, but almost a fluttering.  She placed a hand on her stomach and waited.  Again it came, very faint, but there.  It took her a minute to realize what it was, and she smiled.

 

 Their baby was kicking.