- Text Size +

Noelle gasped and looked at Dan more closely.

“Who are you? What do you want? A bit of fame? Everyone knows Nick killed himself. It was all over the news. He even left a note. This is unbelievable. How did you get Jenn involved in this?”

Noelle hadn’t noticed the tears begin to stream down her face, but Dan did. He knew this would happen. She didn’t need to get all worked up. He hadn’t really told her anything yet, and she was already distraught.

“Please listen to me Noelle. I work as a PI in Florida. I was hired by the DA there to get more information on this case. When I came on Jenn was already involved. The team they have working on this has finally gotten all the information they need to get a warrant issued. We need to get you back where we can keep you safe when everything starts to happen. Trust me when I say this, you are going to be completely safe.”

As she listened to the explanation, Noelle watched as he pulled out items to prove he was who he said he was. She looked closely at them, and then back at him. He seems sincere, and he had Jenn on his side. She couldn’t imagine Jenn would put her in harms way.

She nodded her head once.

“Lets go then. I want to hear more about this. You said a warrant is being issued. So that means you know who did this, right?”

Dan took in a deep breath and nodded.

“I’ll tell you more in the plane. We need to get back. They want you there before the arrest takes place. Its going to be very public and they want to make sure you are where they can keep you safe.”


Howie was still pacing back and forth in the hotel room waiting. Brian watched his friend. It was strange. He didn’t seem worried or concerned, he seemed mad. Brian was sure he was wrong. Howie had to be worried about Noelle. Maybe he was just frustrated with the PI.

As if on cue the cell phone on the table began to ring. Howie dashed across the room to pick it up.

“Anything?”

Brian listened to Howie’s side of the conversation. It seemed cryptic but apparently he was getting some information. A smile spread across Howie’s face and Brian began to feel a bit relieved.

Leighanne walked in the room as Howie was finishing up the phone call. Brian looked at her a gave her a small grin.

“Find anything?”

Leighanne just shook her head.

“No. I asked around at the different airline counters, but no one has seen anyone who looks like Noelle. I was hoping maybe…”

But she was cut off by Howie clicking the phone shut and letting out a loud yell.

“Thank God! That was the PI. He said he tracked her to Hawaii. She took a flight out earlier this afternoon from here. He said he was about to call me with the details when he found she had booked a flight back for tonight. She’ll be here in a few hours.”

Leighanne was so relieved that she collapsed down into the chair and let a few stray tears fall. She’d been scared that she’d never see Noelle again. Now she was coming back and everything would be ok. She could live happily ever after with Howie. She was convinced now after everything Howie had gone through to find her and make sure she was safe that he would accept that baby with open arms. It was Nick’s baby after all, not some stranger’s. It was his brother’s.


Jenn walked slowly up the steps of the small bar. The Local Bar. That name always made her laugh. It was so him.

She walked in the front door and glanced around the bar. The building was old, but he’d only owned it for the last three months. They’d helped him buy it under a false name. Just part of the charade.

The bartender nodded to her, and she made her way over to him.

“Is Nate in?”

“Uh, yeah, he’s back in his office. You need me to get him?”

“No, I’ll just step back there.”

The bartender nodded and Jenn made her way towards the back of the bar, and then down a small hall. The last door on the left said office and she knocked lightly on the door, nervous and excited at the same time.


Noelle sat in the waiting area watching all the people go by. So many people, here to enjoy the sun and sand. Not a care in the world, or using this as an escape from any they had.

She hadn’t been to Hawaii in over two years. She’d hoped to have enjoyed this little trip, but this obviously wasn’t the case. Something big was going down, and she wanted to know what it was.

Glancing to her right she saw Dan staring down the corridor watching the people. He was looking for someone. She assumed it was Jenn.

“Do you think something could have happened to her?”

Dan shook his head.

“No, she’s safe here. I just didn’t think it would take this long. I’m worried she may miss the flight. If she does, she’ll take a later flight. I just really wanted her with us, for your sake.”

“Are you ever going to tell me who did this? You don’t think I did this, do you?”

Dan whipped his head around to look at her.

“I know you didn’t do this. We’ve known who it was, but we had to get the proof. We had to have enough proof where the killer wouldn’t get away. I can’t tell you who it is right now, but I can tell you this. This person hired someone to kill Mr. Carter, so there was no direct evidence linking him to the murder. We had to find witnesses and other proof to provide.”

Noelle head began to spin. Someone had hired someone to murder Nick? Who would do such a thing?


He heard the knock and groaned. Couldn’t they take care of things for five minutes without his help?

“Come in.”

He was irritated with their lack of ability, but when he looked up and saw her standing there panic began to grip him.

“What are you doing here?”

She smiled and said the words he’d been waiting to hear.

“It’s happening.”


When they made the first call for the flight to begin boarding, Dan looked around the waiting area. He wouldn’t panic. If she missed the flight she’d just catch another one. He just really wanted her with Noelle when the arrest happened. It would make everything easier.

He motioned for Noelle to stand, and she shook her head.

“Lets wait. We’ve got time. Maybe she’ll show. We have until the final boarding call to load anyway. Lets just give her more time.”

So Dan sat waiting, staring down the corridor of people, scanning the crowds for any sign of her.

Fifteen minutes later and they were making the final boarding call. He sighed and stood up, helping Noelle up and grabbing their carry-on bags. As they stood at the ticket counter having their boarding passes checked, they heard a familiar voice behind them.

“Leaving without me?”

Noelle turned to see Jenn standing there smiling. She reached up and hugged her friend. In all this craziness she was glad to have her here.

“We didn’t think you would make it.”

Jenn just shook her head.

“And miss all the excitement? Not on your life.”


Leighanne and Brian sat watching Howie pace back and forth in the baggage claim. Damn security. He missed the days where you could meet the flight at the gate. Now he had to wait until she made it all the way through the airport before he could see her.

And what if she saw him first? Would she gets spooked and run again? He hoped not. Maybe luck would be on his side. If there was a large crowd coming into the baggage claim at the same time it would make it harder for her to spot him. He only needed enough time to get his hands on her. She would never get away again.


Dan glanced around the terminal and then over to Jenn. She nodded slightly, turning to look at Noelle.

“Hey Elle?”

Noelle glanced over to Jenn and noticed her hesitant nature.

“Yeah?”

“I just wanted to say that… well I’m glad I can be here for you through this. I’d feel horrible if I had to hear about this after the fact.”

“I’m glad you’re here too. You’re my best friend. This is just so much to take in. Murdered? My Nick? I can’t even imagine it. I can’t wait to watch this person go down.”

Noelle then realized what she’d said. Her Nick? He hadn’t been her Nick in a while, but just thinking of the situation gave her a horrible feeling in the pit of her stomach. Regardless of what he did to her he certainly didn’t deserve to be murdered.

The remainder of the walk through the airport was spent in silence. There wasn’t really much to say. Most everything had been brought out in the open on the plane ride back, but they still hadn’t revealed who the murderer was. She would just have to wait.

As they headed toward the baggage claim Noelle’s steps faltered as she heard the whispered words come out of Dan’s mouth.

“Get ready. Here we go.”