- Text Size +
“Hey, how you doing?” Nick smirked at Brian.
“Fine. You look great, Nick.” Brian surveyed him as he sat on his wheelchair.
Brian really meant what he said.
Aside from the cast visible on his right arm, he looked like he had never been in a car accident in the first place.
Brian was there to drive Nick to the Littrell’s home instead of his own. Nick had requested it since he didn’t want to be alone in his house with only a nurse with him. Brian knew it would be hard for him as well as the nurse. He didn’t mind them staying in his house, the company was even better that way.
When Nick was properly sitting on his seat and the red-headed nurse in hers, Brian climbed into the driver’s seat of the wheel-chair accessible van. He decided to rent the van monthly until Nick was able to walk again and get rid of the wheelchair.
He drove, carefully maneuvering through the morning traffic.
“Brian,” Nick began uncomfortably fumbling with his words.
“Yeah,” Brian looked at the rearview mirror which was faced directly at Nick.
“When are we going to be there?” Nick asked.
Brian thought his voice sounded a little frail but he prevented himself from saying anything about it.
“Around ten minutes.” Brian hoped it was enough time for Nick to get himself together.
After sitting quietly for awhile, Nick finally spoke his voice chocked and barely above a whisper, “I wanted to talk about the accident…”
“Not now, at least not while someone’s listening on us.” Brian thought as he glanced at the nurse from the rearview mirror who was sitting beside Nick her arms on her lap.
Her red hair cut short barely reached below her ears. Her green eyes, which were green as emerald’s sparkling, were very cold and distant. She was looking beyond the tinted windows unto the street where cars whizzed past them.
“We can talk about it later.” Brian replied, hoping he would leave the topic there.
Brian watched with the corner of his eye as the nurse stared at him, her gaze cutting through his skull.
He felt sweat build up on his hands and he had the temptation to wipe them off as he waited for the red light to turn green.
As the van resumed its steady-like pace, he saw the nurse divert her gaze to the street outside. She had never said a word in their nearly twenty-minute ride, but Brian merely convinced himself that she was shy.
“Oh yeah, I’m a known celebrity, that’s why and she gets the chance to visit a celebrity’s home and see how it feels like to be one.” Brian thought to himself grinning impulsively.
“Brian, you hiding something from me?” Nick commented noticing the grin appearing on his lips.
“Later, Nick. We’re here.” Brian told him as he pulled into his driveway.
Immediately after Brain extinguished the engine, he helped the nurse get Nick settled on his wheelchair and out of the car.
Brian stirred Nick’s wheelchair into the house while the nurse fumbled with her backpack which contained her extra clothes and Nick’s medication. She was certainly out of place when they entered the Littrell’s large mansion.
“Uncle Nick!” Baylee screamed as he struggled to climb onto Nick’s lap.
“No, Baylee, not now, give Uncle Nick some time to rest.” Baylee sulked exaggeratively and put his arms around his chest while Brian caressed him in his arms giving him the next-time-dear look.
“Um, Mr. Littrell,” Brian turned to look at the red-headed nurse, her backpack on one shoulder while both her hands were gripping Nick’s wheelchair.
“Oh yeah,” Brian laid Baylee on the marble floor and led the both of them to their own respective rooms.
“This is your room, Nick.” Brian pointed to a closed door and opened it revealing a queen-sized bed, a lamp, a TV, a Nintendo Play station, a couch, a coffee table, and a CD player with various CD cases beside it. The walls were plastered with pictures of the Backstreet Boys, now and then.
“Wow, especially for me.” Brian could hear the sarcasm in his voice but he knew Nick really liked the room.
“You have a room and a bathroom to yourself, Nick, so enjoy.” Brian replied to his sarcastic comment.
“Well, it’s not exactly all his though, their mine.” Brian whispered to the nurse when Nick went off on his wheelchair to check out the CD’s Brian had for him.
The nurse laughed nervously at his comment and directed her gaze at Nick who was plucking a CD in the CD player.
“And your room is here.” Brian opened a door connected to her room, “Your rooms are adjoining so you could help him whenever he needs to crap.” Brian grinned; hoping humor could put a smile on her stone-like face.
“Thanks.”
She was in complete shock, Brian noticed.
The canopy bed, the TV with an accompanying DVD player, the designer curtains that hung above the windows, the flat panel monitor accompanied by a CPU, speaker phones, and a laser printer, even the small pictures that complimented her room, made it look like a 5-star suite.
She sat down on the couch in front of her bed and laid her backpack on the floor. She felt the cool fabric between her fingers as she sunk in on the sofa.
She had expected her room to be small and unattractive. She expected it to have a simple twin bed and a lamp, even an old TV, but not this.
Seeing her slight discomfort, Brian asked her, “If you don’t like the room, we can pick another one upstairs…”
“No, it’s okay. The room’s amazing.” she smiled, hoping it would convince Brian that the room was not only amazing but utterly stunning.
“Okay,” Brian smiled appreciatively, “just ask me if you need anything.”
“Yeah,” was the only word she could utter at the moment.
She watched as Brian silently left the room through Nick’s adjoining door.
Calmed by the silence of her room, she removed her shoes and brought her knees to her chest.
She silently sobbed, she didn’t’ deserve this; she didn’t deserve anything that was happening to her.