- Text Size +
“What matters is that you and Nick are still alive.” Leighanne lightly touched Brian’s brown-blond hair between her fingers. She felt the cool touch and refreshing smell of his hair.
Brian had told her everything about the dream he had. He felt very exhausted from his sleepless night, but he was replenished by the truth in the words of Leighanne.
They were both sitting on his bed beside each other.
Brian lay his head lightly on Leighanne’s shoulder as he felt the tears slowly go down his face. “Shh… no…” Leighanne replied while she dried each tear with her fingers, like a mother comforting her child. She didn’t want to see him suffer like this.
She brought his face close to hers.
Brian looked into Leighanne’s comforting brown eyes with his own deep blue sparkling eyes. He moved closer to her, calmed by her gaze.
He felt love flow through them as his lips touched hers in a passionate kiss.

Brian woke up near the edge of his single bed. He realized later that Leighanne was beside him, sleeping. He was surprised by the fact that they both could fit on a single bed.
Brian quietly stood from the bed and hunted for his slippers. Leighanne stirred in her slumber, but did not wake up.
Brian finally found his slippers and approached Nick’s bedside. He looked at the wall clock across Nick’s bed. It was 1:30pm. He was surprised on how time flew fast.
Brian looked at Nick one last time before going to the cafeteria to get something to eat. Nick had lost a lot of weight from the drugs and medicines that were applied to him.
Finally, after a few minutes, Brian approached the room’s door wistfully and closed it quietly behind him.

After ordering a ham and cheese sandwich, Brian took his wrapped sandwich and made his way back to Nick’s room.
The elevator door opened on the first floor; the floor where the cafeteria was located; and Brian entered the elevator carrying his sandwich. He pressed the button to the 5th floor self-consciously and waited patiently as the elevator ascended.
Brian looked up from his pointless gaze as the elevator opened to the 3rd floor. Immediately, Brian recognized the dark-haired man who entered the elevator.
“Dr. Scott,” Brian clapped a hand on his shoulder, “you’re back.”.
“Oh, hi Brian.” Dr. Scott smiled at him, “I’m on my way to Nick now.”.
Dr. Scott pointed to the clipboard he was holding using his pen, “Dr. Burnham told me that Nick is in a coma.”.
“Yes.” Brian suddenly started to feel the burden building up in his heart again.
“We fear a blood clot in Nick’s brain, which could result in a heart attack if not treated right away.” Dr. Scott told him.
“How can it be possible?” Brian asked worriedly.
“If a person is comatose for an extended period of time not resulting from anesthesia, we believe that there is not enough nutrients being transported to the part of the brain which controls his consciousness…”.
“Which could explain he being comatose?” Brian interrupted.
“Yes, and most likely a blood clot would be the cause of that.”.
The elevator door opened on the 5th floor and Brian and Dr. Scott continued their conversation as they walked towards Nick’s room.
“So, is Jess your assistant?” Brian asked him.
“Dr. Burnham? Yes, she takes over whenever I’m out. She must’ve told you her first name first.” Dr. Scott chuckled as he opened the door to Nick’s room.
A startling sight met their eyes.
Leighanne was beside Nick’s bed, and she was talking excitedly to him.
Brian ran to his bedside with a big grin on his face, “You’re awake, how are you, Nick?”.
“I’m… fine.” Nick forced a weak smile as he tried to move to a more comfortable position on the bed.
“How do you feel?” Dr. Scott asked him, ready to write what he would say on the clipboard.
“I feel really dizzy, and my legs and arms really hurt.”.
“Does your chest hurt when breathing?” Dr. Scott asked, ready to record his observations.
“Yes,” Nick replied frailly, “and I have a really hard time talking.”.
“Okay.” Dr. Scott replied as he wrote his observations down, “I’m going to have to test on how much you know.”.
“Okay.” Nick turned his gaze to him expectantly.
“What is your name?” Dr. Scott asked patiently.
“Nickolas Gene Carter, of course.” Nick replied effortlessly without thinking.
“What is your occupation?”.
“I was… I am a singer.”.
“How old are you?”.
“26.”.
“When is your birthday?”.
“January… uhm… 28.”.
“What year were you born in?”.
“Uhm…”.
Everyone was in silence, waiting expectantly for Nick to respond.
“198… something.” he finally answered uncertainly.
“1980.” Dr. Scott smiled at him, knowing it would be harder for him to answer the next few questions.
“Where were you going before the accident?”.
Nick furrowed his brow while he thought. He tried to recall the events that happened before the accident, but nothing came up in his blank head.
“I don’t know.” Nick finally replied helplessly.
Brian looked sympathetically at him. He knew that amnesia is the second to the worst thing that could happen to anyone.
“Okay,” Dr. Scott wrote on his clipboard, “What was the last thing you can remember you did before the accident?”.
“Uhm,” Nick felt sweat build up in his neck as he tried to recall what he did before the accident.
Then suddenly, it came back to him.
Brian passing out, then being brought by the paramedics to the hospital. Then he remembered the time Brian cried after being released from the hospital. He recalled Leighanne calling him and telling him about the dream that Brian had. He remembered being disturbed by the dream, knowing that Brian was acting strangely lately. He recalled deciding to drive to Brian’s place to cheer him up, when inside he was distressed by what Brian might be going through.
He remembered driving his car, as he thought deeply about Brian. He was driving too fast, but he apparently didn’t notice it because of his depression. Then he saw a child crossing the road right in front of him. He saw his frantic mother who was trying to run after him. He swerved a sharp left, knowing that only seconds could make a difference to both their lives.
After that, he felt an ear-splitting crash as his car sped beyond the steel railing, and crashed on a light post…. Nick couldn’t take it and he tried to pull the thoughts away from his mind as he felt tears build up in his eyes.