- Text Size +
“Ok, Nick. Ready? I’m going to count you in and you start your part on 3, ok?” Johnny Wright said through the glass to the now 25 year old Nick Carter, Backstreet Boy. Nick nodded and listened to the music in his headphones. He watched as Johnny gave him one finger, two, and finally three.

This is for the strangers
Sleeping in my heart
Take what they want
And leave while it's still dark

This is a song for the unloved
This is a music for one last cry
This is a prayer that tomorrow will help me leave the past behind
It's a song for the unloved (the unloved)

This is for the widows
Who think there's only one
The dying fathers that never told their sons
This is a song for the unloved
This is a music for one last cry
This is a prayer that tomorrow will help me leave the past behind
It's a song for the unloved (the unloved)

Ohh
Tomorrow the sun will shine
And dry the tears in your eyes


“How did that sound Johnny?” Nick asked as he took off the headphones and walked through the door to the soundboard.

“It was good. Actually, it was great. I don’t think we need to go over it again.” Johnny complimented.

Just as Nick was about to leave, a tall red head walked into the room. “Oh Nick. I want you to meet Lucky Sullivan. Your new Personal Assistant. She’s been assigned to help you organize your life.”

“What does that mean?” Nick asked, looking at Lucky uncertainly.

“Well, it means that I’ll handle your scheduling and make sure that you are on time to events.” Lucky said and extended her hand towards Nick. Her crystal green eyes flashed hopefully as she said, “I’m really looking forward to working with you Mr. Carter.”

“Call me Nick. Johnny, I don’t need a PA.” Nick said adamantly.

“Yes you do Nick. You know how you are with certain things. She’s just one more person keeping you on track. No big deal.” Johnny said nonchalantly as he replayed Nick’s part for the song.

“That sounds great Mr. Carter, I mean, Nick.” Lucky said and brushed her medium length wavy hair off her shoulders. “Again, I’m really looking forward to working with you.”

“Whatever. Where are you staying? How often do I see you? Do we work together 24/7?” Nick asked as he gathered his jacket and waved goodbye to Johnny with Lucky close on his heal.

“Well, Johnny said that I’m supposed to find somewhere to stay as soon as possible. Right now I’m at the Embassy Suites a few blocks away. Um, we’re supposed to work closely, but not every day and I suppose that I can just call you most of the time. I’ll need your phone number however. But I think we need to have weekly face-to-face meetings. And I’m supposed to go on tour with you and whenever you do publicity. I mean, that is my job after all.” Lucky rambled nervously.

“Well, I have an entire penthouse to myself on the Upper East Side. No one stays in the right wing. That can be yours until you find a place of your own just as long as I don’t see you all the time and make it like we’re living together. Anyways, just let me know what you want and we can figure it out. Here’s my cell number.” Nick said and handed Lucky a piece of paper. “How long is your reservation at the Embassy? I can help you move out now and move you in to my place.”

“I have a couple of days, but I can check out early. It’s not a problem.” Lucky suggested, hoping that Nick would be receptive to it.

“Whatever you think is best. Let’s just head over there.” Nick said and got in his car. “Do you want to just ride with me or do you want me to follow you?”

“Well, you might as well follow me. In case you have somewhere else to go after helping me.” Lucky suggested and unlocked her rental car.

“The only place I have to go is home to relax. But let’s make this quick, ok?” Nick suggested as he closed his door and rolled down the windows. “Listen, I’ll follow you and when we get there, we’ll make it as quick as possible.” He backed out of his space and left room for Lucky to do the same. She took off for her hotel and Nick followed in close pursuit.

Once they reached the Embassy Suites, Lucky and Nick got on the elevator and stood in a thick silence. Lucky chanced a glance at Nick and saw him looking up at the ceiling with his eyes closed. She studied his face and saw the confusion in his crinkled brow. “Nick, is everything ok?”

“No. I don’t need a Personal Assistant. Just another babysitter. I’m 25 years old for crying out loud and my management team still thinks I’m an irresponsible teenager.” Nick said and looked down at Lucky.

“Well, I’ll try to do my best to not treat you like a kid. I’m just here to remind you when you have things to do.” Lucky said in an attempt to ease his mind.

“Whatever.” He said and the elevator doors opened. They walked down the hall to Lucky’s room and she opened the door. She quickly gathered all of her belongings and they were back on the elevator with the same thick silence as before.

“What do you have to do with car?” Nick asked as they stepped into the lobby.

“What do you mean?” Lucky asked, surprised that Nick was initiating conversation.

“Well, it’s a rental right? You can’t keep it forever. When does it go back?” Nick asked again.

“I got it here, at the hotel, so I think I can turn it back in to them.” Lucky said and went to the front desk to check out of her room and return her car. “That was easy enough. Thank you again Nick for taking me in.”

“Not a problem. Like I said, just stay to yourself and there won’t be any problems.” Nick said grouchily as he picked up her suitcases and walked out to his new Durango. He opened up the trunk and threw her bags in and walked to his side of the car. Lucky climbed in and was again met with tension.

“I’ll do my best to stay out of your way.” Lucky said and looked out the window as Nick drove off to his apartment.

Once they got there, Nick and Lucky hurried up to his penthouse and he unlocked the door. When Lucky entered, she saw a spectacular apartment with a layout to die for. She walked straight into an entryway foyer where there was a small fountain and continued down a marble hallway. At the end of the hallway was a large living room. There were three plush couches and floor to ceiling windows, covered by curtains. The whole apartment was only lit by a few lights in the kitchen. “How awful,” Lucky thought to herself as she continued to take in what would be her new home for a little bit.

“Here’s the kitchen.” Nick said as he started walking by briskly. “Every appliance you could ever imagine, but never use is there. And over here is the game room. There’s a pool table that I use when the guys are over.”

“Oh, do the other Backstreet Boys come over a lot?” Lucky asked innocently.

“Well, when we’re all in New York yeah. Other than that, not really.” Nick took a turn down a hallway on his right and walked her to her room. “This is where you’ll be staying. I’d really like it if you wouldn’t do too much decorating to it because sometimes the guys sleep in there. There are a few guest bedrooms farther down the hall. When the guys come, that’s where you’ll go.”

“Ok, that’s … fine.” Lucky said and walked into the biggest bedroom she had ever seen. There was a King-sized bed with down pillows and comforters. There was a plasma TV on the wall in front of the bed and her favorite part of the room was a window seat that looked over the city. Her closet was about the size of her room at home. There was a glass door that connected the bathroom to the bedroom. Again, the bathroom was a spectacle to be seen.

“This is wonderful and extremely appreciated.” Lucky said as she turned around to find that Nick was gone. She looked around at the room and began unpacking her clothes. She made a note to ask Nick the address for the building so that she could have her stuff shipped here.

After she finished unpacking what clothes she had, she walked around her side of the apartment. She did her best not to venture to Nick’s side so that he didn’t feel as though she was trying to be overbearing. The first thing she did was walk into the kitchen and look at all of the appliances. Her home in Houston didn’t have nearly this much space and she never had the chance to use all of these appliances at once. When Lucky opened the refrigerator, she was shocked at what she saw. Well, at what she didn’t see. The entire fridge was empty.

“What do you think you’re doing?” Lucky jumped as Nick came out of nowhere.

“Well, I’m looking in the fridge because as much as you hate the fact that I’ll be staying her for a little bit, you’re the one that offered. And besides, I’m going to have to eat and if there’s nothing in the fridge to eat, then what do you expect me to do? Starve?” Lucky shot back, getting a little annoyed with his act.

“Well, I usually order out. Does that bother you?” Nick asked her as he took a seat at one of the barstools facing the kitchen.

“No, it’s just not very healthy. Don’t worry, I’m not a health nut, I am just not a fan of take-out every day of the week. But whatever you want is fine.” Lucky said as he closed the fridge and began walking back to her room.

“Where are you going?” Nick called after her.

“You told me to make it like we’re not living together, so I’m going to my room so that you don’t have to see me.” She retorted. “If you could be so kind, can you please leave your address written down for me somewhere so that I can have my stuff shipped here? I’ll start apartment hunting tomorrow.” Lucky said and she disappeared around the corner and left Nick dumbfounded in the kitchen.