- Text Size +
Lucky woke up early the next morning. She looked at the clock before climbing out of bed to head to the bathroom. She knew that Nick wasn’t awake yet due to the fact that he still had 3 hours before his radio interview. Lucky headed into the kitchen. She walked around until she had everything out that she needed to make pancakes. She made the pancakes she was going to eat and then stood over the stove debating whether or not she should make some for Nick. She decided that she would cook him some, if for no other reason than to keep the peace.

Lucky finished eating, but Nick still wasn’t awake. Oh well, she didn’t think that there was a clause in her contract that said “be an alarm clock to Nick Carter.” She cleaned up her plate and put Nick’s pancakes on top of his microwave.

She walked back to her room and grabbed her romance novel. She curled up on the couch with her book. She loved the direction her book was heading and completely lost herself in it. She read a couple chapters before she put her book down and looked at the clock. She realized that Nick’s interview was in less than an hour, and she hadn’t seen him yet. Lucky folded her page over and left her book on the couch.

She made her way to Nick’s bedroom and knocked but got no response. She opened the door quietly and found that Nick was still fast asleep. She didn’t know what to do. Either she wakes him up and he’ll get mad at her for disturbing him, or not wake him up and he’ll get mad at her for being late for his interview.

Lucky quietly closed the door. She decided to let him sleep. She once again returned to her room and rummaged through her things until she found the number for the radio station. She dialed the number and waited for someone to pick up. “Hi, I’m Lucky Sullivan. I’m Nick Carter’s personal assistant. Mr. Carter is supposed to be at your station for an interview today. He’s sick so he won’t be able to come in…Of course we can reschedule the interview…Thank you.” Lucky hung up the phone and returned to her book on the couch.

A couple hours later, Nick woke up and looked at the clock. He realized he had completely missed his radio interview. He quickly got dressed and went in search of Lucky. He spotted her reading her book. “How could you let me miss my interview?”

“I didn’t want to wake you.” She responded, not looking up from her book.

“You should have. You now ruined my credibility.” Nick said as he rubbed a hand through his hair.

“Will you relax Nick? I called the radio station and cancelled.” She looked up at him to see that he was frantically pacing around the kitchen.

“You WHAT?” He practically screeched at her. He threw his hands up in the air and continued to pace.

“I told them you were sick and rescheduled. Besides, it’s not in my job to wake you up. That’s what alarm clocks are for.” Lucky explained and returned to her book.

“Whatever.” He stormed back to his room, slamming the door behind him.

Lucky returned her attention to her romance novel and about 20 minutes later, she heard as Nick stumbled into the kitchen and heated the pancakes sitting on top of the microwave. He kept making exaggerated movements and noises, hoping that Lucky would look up at him. She continued to be glued to her book.

As the timer on the microwave went off, Lucky still read and Nick looked at her confused. He sat down across from her and continued to stare at her as she read and he took bites of his food.

“These pancakes are really good. Even after being reheated in the microwave. I haven’t had home made pancakes in a LONG time.” Nick said, hoping that would prompt Lucky out of her reading hypnotism.

When it didn’t Nick just rolled his eyes and sat back in the couch and ate his pancakes. Then he thought of something. She would HAVE to talk to him if he asked her a question about work.

“So Lucky, what does my day look like tomorrow?” Nick asked and a frustrated Lucky slammed her book shut and threw it on the coffee table in between them.

“Nick, what is your problem? Do you have a bipolar diagnosis? I really hope so because that would REALLY explain how you’ve been acting towards me.” Lucky said and adjusted her feet.

Nick opened his mouth to retaliate, however nothing logical could come out of his mouth. He was stunned that Lucky had actually accused him of having a neurological disorder. “Whatever Lucky.” Nick said and walked out, retreating back to his room.

Lucky rolled her eyes and got up off of the couch. Nick really did need to know what his schedule was going to be like for the day trip to LA tomorrow. She took a chance and walked down the hallway to his room. She knocked on his door and for the second time that day, received no answer. Daringly, she opened the door and saw him lying on his bed with the TV remote in his hand.

He looked up and rolled his eyes. “What do you want?”

“Well, I came to apologize and I also came to tell you your schedule for tomorrow. I figured you’d like to know since it’s a very busy day. If you still want me to give you the details, I’ll go get the itinerary I’ve written out for it.” Lucky suggested, keeping her hand on the doorknob for comfort.

“Just do your job.” Nick said and kept his eyes glued to the TV. Lucky nodded and left briefly to get the printed up schedule she made the day before.

When she re-entered, she took a deep breath and opened the door to find Nick in the exact same position. “Ok, are you ready?”

“Well, you’re going to be with me right? So if I forget or something, you’ll be there to remind me, I’m sure.” Nick said sarcastically.

“You’re right. I’ll be there, but since as you so nicely outlined for me the other day that you DON’T need another babysitter, I figured I’d let you know what was going on so that you can at least pretend to be a responsible adult.” Lucky retorted and started reading from the paper.

“You have a 4:00 a.m. wake-up. You might want to set your alarm for that. The flight for LA leaves at 7:30 and we have to allow time for travel and any check-in problems that may occur. We will arrive in LA around 7:30 a.m. their time and you’ll be taken directly to the photo shoot site. Around 8:15 you’ll be in hair and make-up and from 9:00 until 4:00 you’ll be having your pictures taken and being interviewed.” Lucky began talking.

“Um, I’m sorry to interrupt, but what is the photo shoot for?” Nick asked, finally acknowledging Lucky’s presence in the room.

“Rolling Stone Magazine. At 4:30, we’ll need to return to the airport for a departing flight at 6:00. We’ll get back into New York at midnight.” Lucky finished up. “Any questions?”

“No ma’am.” Nick said and gave her a salute. “Well, actually, I have one. Is this a serious or silly photo shoot?”

“From the e-mail I got from Shannon, your PR person, she said that it’s going to be a silly cover shoot and serious article shots.” Lucky said and began to turn around to leave.

“Um, Lucky. I’m sorry for the way I acted earlier. I was just wondering if you’d like to have dinner since it’s 5:00 and I know that I’m going to have to go to sleep if I actually have to wake up at 4:00 a.m.” Nick said and looked at her from his spot on his bed.

“That sounds good. What do you want to do?” Lucky asked.

Nick got up from his bed and walked over to her. “How about take-out?” She glared at him and followed him out the door while he picked up the phone and ordered Chinese food.

*****


The 4:00 wake up was WAY too early for any functioning person. Except for Lucky. When Nick’s alarm clock went off, he heard Lucky moving around in the kitchen, probably making something for breakfast again. He got up and took a quick shower. He threw on some jeans and a t-shirt. He slipped his feet into a pair of Rainbow flip-flops and put his wallet in his back pocket. He grabbed a hat for the airport and his sunglasses.

Sure enough, he walked out and saw Lucky dressed in ripped jeans, a blue light-knit sweater and blue flip flops. Her fiery red hair was down in loose curls and her make-up was done to bring out her green eyes. She looked like she had been awake for hours. “Good morning!” She said as he slid the eggs she’d been cooking into two Styrofoam containers and handed him a mug with orange juice in it. She also grabbed two forks out of the drawer in front of her. “I figured we’d eat breakfast on the way to the airport.”

“That’s a good idea. Is the car here?” Nick asked and accepted the box from Lucky.

“I believe so.” She said and they both descended the elevator to the lobby.

There was still a small feeling of uncomfortable silence between them, but Lucky attributed that to the fact that it was only 4:15 in the morning. Once they arrived in the lobby, they saw that their driver was waiting for them and he opened the door for Lucky to slide in and Nick got in beside her.

The drive to the airport was quiet and uneventful, but once there, one of the funniest things that Lucky could have imagined happened. After the tickets had been printed and Lucky and Nick were sitting in chairs by their terminal, a woman of about 40 came over to them.

“Excuse me sir, but, I don’t mean to pry. But, are you Justin Timberlake?” She asked in a hopeful voice.

“Oh, no. I’m sorry. No, I’m not Justin Timberlake.” Nick responded and pulled the baseball cap even lower over his eyes.

Lucky smiled at the old woman and laughed as she walked away. “What’s so funny?” Nick asked in a heated tone.

“She thought you were Justin Timberlake. That’s hilarious!” Lucky said and Nick became his usual grumpy self and slumped down into the chair.

Soon, it was time for their hectic day to begin. The flight was extremely smooth and they arrived quickly at the shoot. Once there, Lucky was introduced to Shannon Henderson, the Boys’ Public Relations Coordinator. She was nice and very bubbly, and the perfect person to handle all of the Boys at once.

Lucky met the Boys one by one as they were each taken to hair and make-up and wardrobe. Luckily they came up to her and she just sat back and watched as they were transformed. She watched Nick most closely though, because he was her client.

She admired how professional he was in his line of work. Posing for pictures exactly how the photographer wanted and he took direction very well. He knew exactly when to smile and when to look at the camera from the side of his eyes. He also knew exactly when to be serious. To watch him work was amazing.

It was even better when the guys were all together for the cover shoot. They were each jumping on individual trampolines and doing whatever funny poses they could imagine. The computer images were hilarious.

At the end of the day, Nick said goodbye to everyone on the set and to all of his brothers. Then, it was time for Nick and Lucky to return to New York.

The flight back to New York was as easy as the flight to LA. Once they got back, their driver met them and drove them back to the apartment.

“Excuse me sir.” Nick said over the speaker that allowed the driver and his passengers communication. “Can you please drop us off a few blocks from the apartment building?”

“Sure thing boss.” The driver responded.

He dropped them off at Fifth Avenue and 72nd Street. Right next to Central Park.

“The lights really are gorgeous in this city.” Lucky commented as she looked up at the buildings in front of her. “And the park is so peaceful.”

“Yeah, it’s great. That’s one thing I really love about Manhattan. And one reason I chose the apartment was because of Central Park. I can look at it whenever I want.” Nick said and put his hand on the small of Lucky’s back, guiding her in the direction of his apartment.

“Then why do you keep the curtains drawn over the windows?” Lucky inquired.

“I don’t know. Sometimes I have to be in the mood to open them. For the past few days I haven’t really been in the best of moods, if you couldn’t tell.” Nick said.

“What changed that?” Lucky asked, feeling as though she was breaking through his tough exterior for the first time since they had met.

“Being at work today. Even though it was crazy having to fly to the other side of the country for just a few hours, it’s what makes this job the best in the world. And I was really glad to have you there, even if I didn’t get to talk to you too much.” Nick said and stopped walking. He looked at Lucky and gave her a brief, but true smile. She returned his smile and started walking again.

“It was no problem. You are really great at what you do. I saw the focus and the drive you had today and it really inspired me. Not to get all mushy, but I have a lot of respect for you as an artist.” Lucky said.

“And how about as a man?” Nick asked.

“Well, I’m still working on that idea.” Lucky laughed and impulsively wrapped her arms around Nick’s waist and hugged onto him as tightly as possible. When she realized what she was doing, she dropped her arms immediately and started walking faster back to the apartment.

Once they had both arrived, they split as if they were opposite magnets and couldn’t get far enough away from each other.