- Text Size +
"You’re a what?!" Nick almost screeched.

"Shhh! Nick, be quiet! You’re going to wake everyone up." I said putting my finger to his lips. Wow, he had soft lips. I quickly tore my hand away and looked back at him. "Yeah, the girls and I are all models. We work for O’Roark and Piston Modeling Agency in New York and we just made the first big deal we’ve had yet."

"So all that stuff about working with the girls was a line of crap?" Nick questioned.

"No, that was all true too. We’re going to be touring the country, promoting products and the tour, doing photo shoots, autograph signings, commercials, the works, but we’re also going to be working with the girls I told you about. We want to send a positive message to girls every where that you don’t have to look like a model to feel like one." I explained.

"Oh yeah, and how are you going to do that? You’re the most model stereotypical body-type there it." Nick said.

"Well, I’m not sure whether to take that as a compliment or an insult, but the reason they chose the four of us is because we all have some kind of imperfection, but we’ve made it to the top, just like these girls can." I said calmly, trying to decide if he was following or not.
"So what is the problem that you’ve had in becoming a model?" Nick asked.

"Do you really want to know?" I said. Nick nodded for me to continue. "Well, all four of us have certain things that the modeling world wouldn’t typically go for. Like me, I have size 11 shoe. I can’t find comfortable shoes anywhere when on the runway, but I make due with size nine. Amethyst has freckles on her back and arms. At first they had to go in and digitally re-master all of her photos so that you couldn’t see them. Bianca is only 5’2". She’s the shortest runway model out there. She has to find shoes that make her look at least 5 inches taller just to wear the clothes these designers make. And Savannah, she wears glasses. She used to feel like the ugly duckling without them, but she’s made a name for herself with them. She wears contacts for the main shoots and the important events, but she doesn’t have very good eyesight without them." I looked over at Nick, waiting for his reaction.

"Wow. I didn’t know that those were problems in the modeling world. I thought that your problems were all about choosing which type of lettuce to eat for the day. Shows how much I know." I laughed at Nick’s comments.

"Actually, none of us are like that. We all eat healthy, but we know how to take care of our bodies. Yes, there are some girls that will starve themselves just to look good on the runway or in the magazines, but the four of us are not like that. That’s another reason we were chosen to lead the campaign." I said and Nick just stared at me. "Is everything ok?"

"Yeah, everything’s fine, it’s just, wow. This thing you’re doing with the girls is great. How long are you on tour for?" He asked.

"About a year. We’re going back today so that we can start the fittings for the daily outfits and start meeting with some of the crews that will be traveling with us. I’m excited! I can’t wait to get started." I said, beaming.
"You look beautiful." He said. I looked at him a little shocked. "I mean, excited, you look excited."

"Right. By the way, I think you’re hott too." I said and winked back at him. If I didn’t know any better, I could have sworn the boy had blushed.

"Uh, thanks. You know, I still have a girlfriend, but we can be friends right?" He looked at me, completely serious. I could feel my face fall because I was so disappointed in his statement.

Nick’s POV

"Yeah, friends would be um, great." She responded carefully. "You know Nick, I don’t know how we’re ever going to remain friends, I mean, we met kind of weirdly and we’re both going to be extremely busy. But, I’d love to try and be your friend. If you ever need anyone to talk to … about anything, here’s my number." She said and took a piece of paper from me and wrote it down. I looked up at her and smiled.

"Thanks, buddy." I said and tapped her nose. Buddy, what the hell Carter?

"Yeah, right. Buddy. Great, well, um, we’re about to land; I’d better start packing up my stuff." She said and started scrambling around picking up all of her CDs and her CD player and magazines. She knocked over her tray, which sent her cup flying in the air. "Great, I’m so graceful. I wonder how I ever became a model." She laughed like she was nervous, but her laugh was calm and confident. She looked beautiful when she laughed.

I laughed with her and she reached out and touched my hand. Her fingers on mine almost made me come undone. I tensed up and watched as her eyes met mine. She quickly withdrew her hand, which sent the papers I was writing on flying. We both scrambled to collect them, but she reached ‘Shining Star’ first.

"What’s this?" She questioned. I wasn’t sure whether or not to explain it to her.

"It’s lyrics to a song I’m writing. It’s called Shining Star. Well, obviously you can tell that since it’s written at the top of the page." I said. Ok, yeah, I definitely lose control of all inhibitions when she’s around me. What am I going to do with myself?


Jade’s POV

"Well, that’s cool. I can’t wait to hear it when it comes out on the radio, Mr. Fish Bones. Anyways, like I said, we’re almost there, so I guess we should say good bye now and save the whole scene for another, more important good bye. Nick, I don’t even know your last name, but it’s ok. It’s been wonderful meeting you and running into you for the past few days. I hope that you enjoyed my company as well." I said and stuck out my hand. He took it, but eyed me warily. As soon as our skin came into contact it was if there was an electric current running through us both.

I looked him in the eye and held his gaze for about 3 minutes. He finally let go and said, "It’s been wonderful meeting you as well Jade. I hope that everything goes well with your modeling career and your camps. You have my number; please call me whenever you need to." He said and kissed my hand.

My hand tingled from where his lips had been and I mentally noted that I would never wash that hand again. "You have my number as well, don’t be a stranger. I’ll need someone to talk to other than my girls sometimes."

"Yeah, well sometimes having a girl friend is better to talk to than my girlfriend or the guys, sometimes they think with the wrong heads and Kirsten always has her sex drive on high. Wow, you probably didn’t need to know that. Anyways, I guess it’s time for us to go our separate ways. Ride off into the sunset." Nick joked. He poked Kirsten awake and she looked at me groggily and said, "Who the hell are you?"

"You don’t need to worry about that honey, just figure out who you are and what you’ve got before someone comes and sweeps it out from under you." I replied. Yeah, I think today is going to be a good day. I grabbed my carry on bag and handed Nick back his song.

"It’s been wonderful flying with you Nick. Talk to you soon I hope." I said and confidently kissed his cheek. I winked at him as I walked down the aisle to the front of the plane, arms linked with Amethyst and Bianca. I turned around just in time to catch a blown kiss to me. We both winked and I got off of the plane.