- Text Size +
Chapter 3

Chapter 3

            Caryss smoothed her top and the front of her pants as she walked up to the doors of the restaurant. She grabbed her compact mirror out of her purse and quickly checked her hair and makeup one last time before allowing the gentleman at the door to open it for her and escort her into the restaurant. She was not sure why she had butterflies in her stomach, considering she didn’t really know anything about the infamous “NC”, including whether “NC” was a male or female, but the hunch of things to come kept poking her in the gut regardless.

            Caryss was involuntarily snapped out of the thought she was in as she entered the restaurant and was greeted by shrieks and squeals from one of her previously long-distance friends.

            “Oh my God, Car, you look so fabulous; that outfit should be outlawed!” Stacie screamed in her notable valley accent as she ran full speed into Caryss and wrapped her in a tight hug.

            “Stacie, it’s so great to see you,” Caryss squealed back as her friend released her from the hug and they did a double air kiss.

            “And I know it’s so great to see me,” another high-pitched voice rang from behind Caryss.

            “Lizzie-kins!” Caryss chimed as she twirled around and the two embraced. “It is so great to see you!” After another round of double air kisses Caryss linked arms in the middle of each girl and they walked back to the private room they were having the meeting in. Since Liz and Stacie lived in Los Angeles they were in charge of handling the locations for all things encompassing the project, including spots to hold the meetings and events that would be taking place. The Vineyard was Liz’s favorite restaurant, so there would, of course, be no other place to have this first get-together.

            “I hope you’re rested from your trip,” Stacie announced with a smirk as the ladies took their seats at the large, round table covered with a lush, vibrant raspberry colored cloth.

            “Oh? Why’s that?” Caryss asked playfully, knowing all too well exactly what Stacie meant.

            “Toga; that’s all I’m going to say,” Stacie responded and Liz tried unsuccessfully to stifle her laughter.

            “You can’t be serious! I am NOT--” Caryss started, but stopped mid-protest as two people she didn’t recognize entered the room. Caryss, Liz, and Stacie stood up as the two people approached the table and introductions were done.

            “Good Afternoon,” Caryss began, extending her hand. “I’m Caryss Martin and I’m heading up this campaign. Let me introduce Elizabeth Jones, Public Relations, and Stacie Smith, Artistic Design.”

            “Pleasure to meet you Ms. Martin, I’m Trevor Barrett, one of the main organizers for Heal The Bay, and this is Laurie Darnell, my assistant.”

            “Please, it’s Caryss,” she said blushing, as the tall, dark and handsome Trevor Barrett took her hand in his and raised it to his lips, kissing it gently.

            Neither one has the initials NC…what is going on? Caryss thought to herself as all five took their seats around the table. Maybe I should ask if we are expecting another person to arrive. Before she could open her mouth to ask that question, Laurie spoke up as if she had been reading Caryss’s mind.

            “There was supposed to be another gentleman joining us but he was held up with some other business. He is our biggest supporter for the organization and is very excited about working with the three of you. He sends his apologies for missing this meeting, but we will fill him in on everything that happens.” Trevor gave his assistant an approving nod and Caryss got the feeling that there was more to their relationship than just business.

            Before Caryss had a chance to ask if this mystery person’s initials were NC, Trevor jumped right in and got down to business. Well, at least I know NC is a “he” now, she thought as she pulled out her binder that contained all of her ideas and rough drafts for the new slogan and design for the ad.

            Once Caryss had gotten done presenting her ideas and the group had done some brainstorming and finalizing of what would be done, Trevor cleared his throat and stood up.

            “Well ladies, now that we have the hard part out of the way, I have an announcement to make,” he began, smiling at curious twinkle in Caryss’s eye. “I didn’t want to say anything before because I didn’t want the pressure to overwhelm your ideas and such, but we have a big development in the launching of the new ads. Heal the Bay has been doing remarkably well with donations from a lot of people, but with the new slogan and look to our ads, we decided that it would be a great idea to host a fundraising gala next month to showcase the new stuff and try and create a bigger donation base.”

            “Wow,” Liz mumbled under her breath, trying to keep her excitement at bay. “A gala is a great idea.”

            “I agree,” said Laurie, giving Trevor a sexy wink.

            “It’s basically just a great advertising tool to bring together the wealthy celebrities and ocean lovers in the area. Having a fresh look that will appeal to new supporters is just an added benefit. And since you ladies are going to be working so hard on getting this ‘fresh look’ ready for us, you absolutely have to be there to bask in the glory and success it will surely bring this great cause.” Trevor smiled once more and took his seat once more.
           
            “He must have practiced that in the mirror like twenty times before he got here,” Stacie whispered in Caryss’s ear quiet enough for Trevor not to here. Caryss started to giggle, and Stacie kicked her under the table to get her to stop.

            “Ow,” Caryss cried softly as she bent over slightly to rub her sore leg. She didn’t notice Trevor looking intently down her shirt or his tongue darting in and out of his mouth as he repeatedly licked his lips.

            “What a perv,” Stacie whispered into Liz’s ear. “Remind me later to warn Caryss that Trevor will probably try more than once to score with her.”

            “Yeah, I think you’re right,” agreed Liz as she too watched in disgust as Trevor ogled Caryss’s goodies. “Alright everyone, this was a very productive meeting,” Liz started loudly, trying to break the stare that Trevor had locked on Caryss. “The plan is to meet at our firm in the boardroom at 10:00 tomorrow morning. We’ll see all of you there.”

            Laurie nudged Trevor in the ribs as she noticed him staring at Caryss and he looked away from her ample bosom to his “assistant” sitting next to him. “Are you ready to go?” he asked Laurie in a voice that reeked of fake affection. Laurie simply nodded her head, feeling that her fifteen minutes of fame in the eyes of her boss were quickly coming to an end as he set his sights on his newest fling.

            After Laurie and Trevor were gone, Liz and Stacie turned to Caryss with a look of concern on their faces. “Trevor was totally checking you out, and I’m not talking like he was just giving you a once over. He was, like, planning what kind of fruit to eat out of your cleavage,” Stacie said in all seriousness.

            “What? No he wasn’t. I didn’t see him looking at me at all. He seems like a perfect gentleman. I don’t know what you two are so worried about,” Caryss said with a sigh. “I’m going to the ladies room. I’ll be right back. And then, I want to know exactly what you mean when you say ‘Togas’, got it?”

            Liz and Stacie began to giggle as Caryss pushed back her chair and stood up.

            “He is so her type, she’s going to fall right into his trap,” said Liz as Caryss walked out the door towards the restroom. “She has the worst judgment in men. She goes for the tall, dark, handsome one and gets burned every time.”

            “Maybe she’s smartened up since that thing with Jeremy last year,” responded Stacie, trying to give her absent friend the benefit of the doubt. “I really don’t think she would fall for that ‘I love you so much, go to bed with me and I’ll make all your dreams come true, you were a great lay, see ya later’ crap again. And that’s all she’d get from Trevor, plus maybe an STD.”

            “I hope you’re right. I don’t want her to get hurt again,” said Liz as she stood up and grabbed her purse off the table. “Let’s meet her by the bathroom; that way we can fill her in on tonight’s plans while we are on our way to your place.”


            “If Liz and Stacie are right and Trevor does think he’s getting a piece of Caryss cake, he better think again,” she said into the mirror as she washed her hands in the bathroom. “One, screwing a co-worker is always a bad idea; and two, he’s the type of guy I’ve always gone for in the past and gotten hurt. There is no way that is going down.” She dried her hands, scrunched her hair a little and walked out of the restroom.

            “Ready?” asked Liz sweetly as Caryss emerged through the door of the bathroom.

            “Not until you tell me what is going on tonight!”

            “We’ll tell you on the way. We have to go to Stacie’s apartment and get ready.” Caryss gave them a disapproving look, causing both girls to start laughing.

            “Don’t even front! You had so much fun last time and you’ll have just as much fun this time. Plus, we’ll be wearing something a lot sexier than fruit this time!” laughed Stacie as she grabbed Caryss by the arm and pulled her towards the doors that led outside into the bright, warm sunshine.