- Text Size +
Part XVI

Paul called on September first for the sixth time in the past week to let them know that again the papers still hadn’t been accepted. He’d taken Coral’s advice try another judge, but it didn’t seem to matter, they were all friends of the Matthew’s family and none of them wanted to make it easy for Coral or Marshall.
Coral was still dating Ryan. They went out practically every night, and she came home late every night as well. Apparently things were going well, her parents even started speaking to her again.
Marshall was getting antsy. Coral and Ryan getting together, this meant she might be moving out soon. He didn’t know what he was going to do then. He really didn’t want to think about it either. Since the first time he’d gotten her in the pool it became their new thing they did together. When ever she was home, and they were not working, Marshall got her to himself in the pool. There it seemed like nothing at all had changed, and nothing was different. They were friends again. But it felt so different at the same time.
He found out from Turkey that her birthday was on the sixteenth. He also found out that the little boyfriend Ryan had not planned anything at all, as he was going to be out of town on business.
“I got the perfect idea, there’s a park here in town that she loves. We’ll get some lunch and a cake and take her there.”
“Cool, and I was thinking, for her gift, you know that photo she’s got hanging up in her room, I wanted to get it professionally framed, really nicely done up,” Marshall replied.
“That’s a great idea, she’ll love it!” Turkey exclaimed.
“Oh good, so I’ll see you next week?”
“You got it, bye.”
“Bye.”

Marshall didn’t know how to feel about Coral’s impending announcement that she was moving out. Everyday he expected her to come to the house with a big diamond on her finger and announce that she was getting married. He didn’t blame her. The guy was an amazing trial attorney, rich, successful, and not too shabby looking by the pictures either. Not to mention the fact that Coral had loved him for over ten years. He definitely had an advantage over Marshall.
But so far she hadn’t. So Marshall was happy at least for that much. All he had to do was just remember that she was happy, and he was too stubborn to go for it, so there was no use and attempting something that would just make him look stupid in the long run. But he needed somebody to talk to. And that would have to be Proof.
“Man, I knew you were crushing on her, I knew it!”
“Don’t act so fucking smug man.”
“All right, chill man, chill, just calm yourself down. Now tell your old buddy, what exactly did your dumb white ass do?
“I fucking kissed her.”
“You kissed her! Damn Marshall, I wasn’t expecting that.”
“Yeah well don’t get your hopes up, cause the night after she went out with her sister and met up with her old high school sweet heart and they been dating again for the past three months.”
“Em you dumbass, and you waited this long to call me? What’s wrong with you?”
“That’s the reason I called you so you could tell me, what I’m doing wrong.”
“First of all you acting not like the Eminem I know, who, if he like a girl he don’t hesitate to just say, ‘hey bitch, your place or mine?’ And second of all, you don’t go after girls who are already attached, it’s too much trouble for ya.”
“Who said I was going after her?”
“You calling me with your female problems and now you’re telling me you ain’t trying to go after this girl?”
“I didn’t say that either, but it’s not that simple.”
“Why ain’t it simple?”
“Like I said, the night after I kissed her, she went out and met her ex boy toy, she obviously wasn’t that interested in me.”
“Let me guess, you kissed her, freaked out, and ignored her for the next twenty-four hours, am I right?”
“Well...”
“Fuck Em, she stuck it to you cause you didn’t go for it. She probably likes you, but you backed off and flipped out on her. Man, girls don’t like it when we blow hot and cold all over them no more than we like it when they do it to us. Either you got to be interested in her or not. You got to send the right signals man.”
“So what the fuck am I supposed to do then? Huh, she’s got a motherfucking boyfriend, and she’s into him man, I mean really into him They were this close to getting married right out of fucking high school. He’s a god damn lawyer.”
“Oh so you think you’re not good enough for her, huh?”
“What the fuck is so great about sitting around the god damn house painting the fucking walls?”
“Man, just because he goes out and talks to the special people, does not make him a better candidate for that girl.”
“Her family is nothing but lawyers Proof!”
“So the fuck what? She’s not a lawyer, she doesn’t like lawyers, she doesn’t have to end up with a lawyer.”
“But she will.”
“She doesn’t have to. That’s the point Em. You know, maybe if you got your head out of ass, and actually asked the girl, ‘hey, maybe you’d like to go out sometime for a date?’”
“She’s got a boyfriend!”
“So? Knock him off or something. Cause I know you must be suffering in more ways than one.”
“Dammit man, I’m not getting into that shit with you.”
“What, your sex life, or lack there of?”
“Fuck you.”
“See how desperate you are? You’re willing to turn queer on me to get some ass.”
“You’re a faggot, you know that?”
“And you’re full of shit. Dude, tell the fucking chick you like her, you want to go out with her, and let it go at that. Tell her the fucking truth. You’re too fucking old to be doing this shit.”
“Look who’s talking!”
“Man, just say something already. If you don’t say nothing, she’ll never know, and as soon as that divorce comes through, I bet you more than anything she’ll be out of there, and married to that lawyer. Maybe it’ll be for her, maybe it’ll be for her family, but just don’t set yourself up for another regret man, you got enough of those going as it is.” Marshall was quiet for a minute.
“I got a point don’t I?” Proof said when Marshall didn’t respond.
“You got a good one there you do.”
“Then just go for it. What could she possibly do that you couldn’t handle? Either you tell her and she tells you she’s interested, or she’s not. And do you honestly think that Coral would hold it against you? Shit I nearly drowned the poor girl and she made me french toast the next morning. You think she’d say boo to you?”
“No.”
“Then there you go.”
“Alright. You’re right.”
“I’m always right. Now go talk to her before I got to drag my ass back out to California and drown your ass.”

“Guys, you really didn’t have to do anything, I told you that before,” Coral laughed as Marshall pulled out the cake and began lighting the candles as it sat in front of Coral on the blanket. Marshall knew why this park was Coral’s favorite, it was beautiful. The lawns were lush and green and beautiful, trees lined the park, and the weather was perfect. It was just like her, refreshing and one of a kind.
“Yes we did have to do something. It’s your birthday, how often does my little sister turn twenty-seven?” Turkey laughed.
“Exactly, now come on birthday girl, blow out cha candles.” Marshall said pushing the cake towards her.
“Oh what, you two think you’re gonna get out of singing happy birthday?” Coral asked.
“I don’t sing, you know I don’t sing, why do you think they call me Turkey? It’s cause I sound like one. Marshall, this is your department.” Turkey laughed.
“You do not sound like a turkey, you just look like one.” Coral remarked, making Turkey smack her.
“Well, go on Marshall, this is your thing,” Turkey said looking over at him.
“All right, um, let em see. Okay, okay I got it. Coral, you’re beautiful, your wonderful, you’re extremely fine, your heart is in the right place and so is your mind, your impossible, loveable, damn near incredible, creatable, created the best tasting stuff anyone can lay on a table, artist with only taste in mind, divine, shines in every thing she says, and lives in everything she do, it’s true, that it’s her birthday today, and I guess I’ll break off with a little song for you.” Marshall proceeded to finish his rap by singing the birthday song and Coral and Turkey clapped loudly for him.
“Marshall, thank you,” Coral cooed.
“Your welcome, now blow out cha damn candles before all we’re left with is a wax covered cake,” Marshall said slightly blushing. He didn’t sing for just anyone.
Coral blew out her candles and they clapped for her before Marshall took the cake and began cutting it up.
“So how has the media circus been?” Turkey asked. It was the first time it had ever been brought up since the tabloids found out.
“Oh not too bad, I had an audience while I was grocery shopping yesterday though. Can you tell me, why it so interesting to see someone grocery shopping? I mean, if I saw pictures of, I don’t know Johnny Depp shopping, I honestly would not be too impressed with it.” Coral replied as Marshall handed her a piece of cake.
“They want anything they can get. I had to get security over at Home Depot the other day just so Coral and I could look at the lumber.” Marshall said handing a piece to Turkey.
“They bother you that much?”
“Hey, when I get a new girlfriend, they storm the building, so me being married without them finding out, that’s a head line.” Marshall laughed.
“I don’t talk to the reporters, I’ve made that very clear. There always is a herd of them waiting at the gate of the complex. They think if they tire us out we’ll talk or something.” Coral said, just then thinking it might be a good idea to check and make sure no one was watching.
“My PR said it may not be a bad move. We wait it out, and then go to them, once the divorce comes through. I mean, it’s not like they can really do anything else about it. They think it’s gonna be good publicity for when the next album comes out.”
“You’re putting out another album?” Coral asked nearly choking on her cake.
“I’m thinking about it. I told Dre I was thinking about it to get him off my back for a while.” Marshall replied.
“Good for you,” Coral replied with a smile.
“So how is my little nephew Cody?” Turkey laughed.
“He’s doing just fine. He’s getting bigger everyday, I don’t know if I’ll be able to carry him around on my shoulder anymore, he’s getting so heavy!” They spent a few minutes talking and laughing about Cody. Marshall talking about teaching Cody to say different lyrics and Coral teaching him to sing country tunes. At a lull in the conversation a little dachshund marched right up to the blanket.
“Well look at this, the hot dog vendor wanted to say happy birthday too!” Marshall laughed as he picked up tiny puppy. It wagged it’s tail and licked at his face.
“Aww, he’s so cute!” Coral chirped.
“Yeah he is sort of cute.” Turkey laughed.
“Oh I am so sorry!” a young woman called as she raced over to the blanket.
“He yours?” Marshall asked.
“Yeah, I’ve got five of them over there, and this one got away, I hope he didn’t bother you,” she said embarrassed.
“Not at all, he’s so adorable.” Coral said petting the dog that had now placed itself happily in Marshall’s lap.
“You bring them out to the park often?” Turkey asked the young lady.
“Oh no, I’m with the ASPCA, we found his mother in a dumpster and we were only able to save the puppies. It’s an adoption weekend, we’re trying to find them good homes.” A look of realization dawned on the young woman’s face.
“And you know, he does look kinda happy right where he is.” She got on a sly smile.
“Oh he’s cute, but we’ve got a parrot at home to deal with, and I’m pretty sure Cody wouldn’t take too lightly to someone taking up his attention. Especially a dog. Sorry,” Marshall gave the dog an affectionate pat on the head and handed him over to his charge.
“Well it was worth a try. Thanks for catching him, and sorry again to interrupt, happy birthday!” the woman smiled and turned with the dog tucked carefully under her arm.
“He was cute,” Turkey laughed.
“Yeah, dachshunds are nice, my Aunt Gretchen used to have one, sweet dog.” Coral remarked.
“You guys ever have dogs growing up?” Marshall asked.
“No, we always wanted one, but our parents thought it was too messy. ‘You want a dog, go play with your toy dogs’, that’s what mom always said.” Turkey replied.
“Yeah, besides, I’d hate to have seen what a dog would get in our house for going on the floor, there would be hell to pay.” Coral said shaking her head.
“What about you?” Turkey asked looking over at him.
“Nah, never had a dog. Couldn’t afford one, and certainly never could have one while I was on the road.”
“Eminem! Eminem! Hi, I’m Tracy from Star Magazine, could we have just a few minutes of your time?” a bubble head blond with a tape recorder and a photographer invited herself to sit down with them and didn’t bother asking if it was okay.
“No, we’re actually kind of busy. If you’ll excuse us.” Marshall said calmly as he started to gather the plates and things, sticking them in the garbage bag they’d brought.
“Obviously not your birthday celebration, for your wife Coral? Tell us, what made you decide to get married again?” Tracy asked as she stuck the tape recorder under his nose.
“Look, I’m trying to get this cleaned up here, could you get off the blanket?” Marshall asked the reporter as Coral and Turkey stood up. The photographer clicked away.
“Is he a good husband Coral? How was the honeymoon? What about the ceremony? You thinking of having any kids?” The reporter launched onto Coral next and she merely shook her head no.
“Turkey, could you take the basket? Here Coral, hold that while I just dump the garbage.” Marshall was remarkably calm as he did what he needed to do while the photographer clicked away.
“You must be Turquoise Matthews, Coral’s sister, could you tell us a bit about her, about the relationship?” Tracy bounced into Turkey’s face next but neither of them would say anything.
“Come on Em, you must want to get the truth out to people. Is it true your ex-wife doesn’t approve, that she’s using this to keep your daughter away from you?” Marshall ignored her completely and just picked up the stuff and motioned for the girls to go to the car. The reporter tried a few more times, but they all remained silent as they climbed in the car and drove away.
“I’ll drop you off at your car Turkey, I’m just gonna go around the block so they think we left.” Marshall said as they pulled out into traffic. As they rounded the block the park was set on, Marshall caught sight of the ASPCA booth. That dog had been cute. He couldn’t help but smile as he thought about it. Hell, why not. Coral would be leaving soon, and he’d be alone again, might as well have some company.
They were surprised when he stopped the car and even more surprised when they heard him say,
“Well ain’t you coming?” he asked.
“What are you doing?” Coral asked with a laugh as they walked towards the booth.
“Just taking a second look, that’s all,” Marshall said sheepishly.
“Well, back again Mr. Mathers?” it was the girl who had come to get the dog that had run away.
“Yup, Ellen,” he said reading her name tag.
“You are such a softy,” Coral laughed pushing him over.
“That little rug rat still hanging around here?” Marshall asked.
“As a matter of fact, he is the last one of the litter left. You want him?” Ellen raised her eyebrow at him.
“Miss? Uh miss, is this little dachshund still availible?” a guy looking into the cage of puppies asked. Ellen marched right over and snatched out the dachshund he was pointing at.
“Sorry, he’s taken,” she smiled politely to him and walked back over to Marshall.
“Here you go,” Ellen said handing the squealing puppy over to Marshall. The puppy was so happy that it was licking his face and yipping happily.
“Where do I sign?” Marshall laughed.

“That’s it, I’m telling you, I’m not taking in any more homeless animals. First you, then that parrot and now you got me taking in a dog!” Marshall exclaimed as they dragged in another load of pet supplies. The dog happily scampered inside on his new leash and harness and sniffed eagerly at every surface he could reach.
“Oh thanks, so I’m an animal, now am I?” Coral snorted pushing in through the door with a bag of dog food.
“No, you’re a loveable stray,” Marshall laughed.
“Ha ha, very funny indeed!”
“Arrk! Chicka chicka slim shady!” Cody called from the kitchen. Marshall laughed heartily.
“Why did you have to teach him that?” Coral laughed.
“Arrk! Mommy!” Cody called again.
“I’m a coming, I’m a coming!” Coral yelled back as they dragged the rest of the stuff in. Once it was all in the house, Coral quickly got Cody out of his cage and set him on her shoulder where he always was anymore.
“Hey, I got something to show you, for your birthday,” Marshall said remembering her present.
“You didn’t have to get me anything, you’ve done enough for me as it is, really Marshall,” Coral said seriously.
“Oh shut up, I did it anyway, come on little guy.” Marshall said as he stooped to pick up the wriggling little puppy. Coral followed him upstairs, and was surprised when he went to her room and pulled her inside.
“There, happy birthday,” he said pointing to the newly framed photo on the wall.
Coral stood back and looked at her photo. What was once framed in a tiny black and warped plastic frame, was beautifully furnished with a sharp stainless steel edging and matt glass. It looked so professionally done that it belonged in a museum.
“Marshall, it’s beautiful, just stunning. I love it.” she remarked.
“A beautiful picture deserves a beautiful frame.” Marshall smiled in return.
“Really thanks. You’ve done so much for me. I don’t know how I could ever repay you.” Coral replied.
“Arrk! Pretty picture! Pretty picture for a pretty lady! Arrk!” Cody cawed. They all laughed and the puppy barked happily.
“So what are we going to name this little hot dog, huh?” Coral asked scratching the dog’s head.
“Hot dogs, wait, I got it, it’s too perfect. Oscar,” Marshall replied.
“Oscar?”
“Oh I wish I were an Oscar Mayer wiener,” Marshall sang inexpertly. Coral burst out laughing.
“Yes! That’s perfect! I love it!”
“Oscar it is,” Marshall scratched the dog’s head and then turned to say something to Coral, but the phone rang.
“Oh that must be Ryan, he said he’d call,” Coral replied, though her face fell at the idea that it was Ryan.
“I’ll let you alone so you can talk to him. Come on Cody, I’ll get you your supper,” Marshall said taking the bird on his shoulder.
“Thanks again,” Coral smiled warmly at him.
“You better answer that,” Marshall warned as the phone ran shrilly again and he left the room, closing the door softly behind him.