- Text Size +
Part XXII

“Is the turkey in the oven?”
“The turkeys have been in the oven since this morning.”
“What do you mean turkeys?”
“We’re having more than fifteen people over for dinner, there has to be more than one turkey.”
“Are you sure?”
“Yes I’m sure. Did you put down the good table cloth?”
“Course I did. What else has to be done?”
“Is the table set?”
“Yeah, I think so.”
“Plates, silverware, wine glasses, napkins?”
“Oh right, forgot the napkins.”
“Look in the bottom cabinet in the hutch.”
“All right.” Marshall walked from the kitchen to the dining room, stopping to pet Oscar on his way. He looked around before realizing he’d already gone past the thing he was looking for.
The room had turned out beautifully. It was the first thing they’d redecorated when they returned, taking two weeks before they were finished. Over the table hung their custom made broken china chandelier, composited from the collection of broken dishes from Marshall’s attempts at cooking. At one end of the room was a large print they had picked up at the museum before they left, their Jackson Pollock.
The largest wall in the room was covered in a paint splattered canvas. It wasn’t an original Jackson Pollock, but to Marshall, it meant a lot more. The day after they had returned from their trip, they got supplies to make their own Pollock. They spent they day, covering the entire canvas with paint, laughing and shrieking and carrying on until they were out of breath and out of paint. What was behind this painting was the relationship that had caused Marshall so much happiness, and the painting comforted him every time he looked at it. He especially liked the part where Coral had used her fingers to paint in the design, “CORAL LOVES MARSHALL”, surrounded by a heart. He got a goofy stupid smile on his face, and he decided, that if it was corny, he didn’t care, he liked it.
Marshall found the napkins and hurriedly laid them at each place setting before returning to the kitchen to see if Coral needed anymore help.
“Would you please just go out to the living room and entertain your friends, I can cook you know!” Coral laughed, pushing him out of the kitchen.
“Yes she can, especially with my help,” Jackie remarked .
“All right, I’m going, you just call me if you need help, okay?” Marshall asked, leaning across the counter and giving her a kiss.
“Okay, yeah, just go!” she laughed.
“Is everybody here?” he asked before leaving.
“I think so.”
“Cause I think we have too many place settings.”
“It always looks like that, we’ll probably have too few.” The doorbell rang loud.
“Who is that supposed to be? Everyone is here, aren’t they?” he asked confused.
“They should be. Just go answer the door already,”Coral said shaking her head.
Marshall trudged out of the kitchen to foyer and straightened his tie slightly before opening the door. He would have fallen backwards if he’d had the ability left to move let alone breathe.
“Merry Christmas Marshall.”
“Uh, uh, hi, uh, mom,” Marshall stuttered, his throat feeling dry. She hugged him and stepped inside.
“Hey bro, how’s it hanging?” Nathan entered next followed by his aunt Betty, his grandmother and then,
“Hailie!” Marshall exclaimed as the little blond girl ran at him and jumped into his arms.
“Hailie baby, oh my god I missed you!” Marshall held his girl in his arms, hugging her hard.
“Daddy, I can’t breathe!” the little girl squealed.
“I’m sorry baby, I’ve just missed you,” Marshall said, wiping a few tears away.
“Daddy, why are you crying, it’s Christmas, you’re supposed to be happy?” Hailie asked.
“I’m just happy, really happy to see you,” Marshall smiled.
“Hey Marshall.” He knew that voice and turned to see Kim.
“Kim, uh, thanks, for bringing her, really,” Marshall spit out.
“No, wait. It wasn’t my idea. Really I didn’t even think about having her call you, but I spoke to a friend of yours who convinced me otherwise.” Kim said softly.
“Marshall? Who was it at the door?” Coral said, stepping out of the kitchen.
“Uh, Coral, this is, uh, my mom, Debbie, and my Grandma, Amy, my brother Nathan, my Aunt Betty, my uh, ex-wife Kim, and this,” Marshall picked up Hailie, holding her tight, “is my little girl Hailie.”
“It’s very nice to see you all in person, I’m Coral if you didn’t already guess that, but welcome, dinner is on the table.” Everyone nodded to Coral as if they already knew her, and before Marshall could say anything else, Coral was going into the living room to announce dinner.

“Marshall, can you help me bring in the turkey?” Coral asked, putting a gentle hand on his shoulder.
“Huh? Oh, sure, okay.” He nodded and followed her to the kitchen, but he wasn’t able to concentrate.
“Are you all right Marshall?” Coral asked.
“How did they? Why are they?” he asked, looking over at her confused.
“I’m sorry if I interfered, but I thought since I got my dream, that you should get yours too. A big family Christmas. It took a bit of convincing, but, I got them here. If I’m intruding, I apologize, but I thought you deserved this.” Coral wasn’t sure what direction this could go in. Either he’d be mad that she had talked to his family without his permission, or, well, that was about the only reaction she was expecting about now.
“You called Kim, and asked her to bring Hailie here for Christmas?” he asked, his eyes, bright and wide.
“I did,” Coral nodded.
“And my mother, and grandma?” he asked again.
“Yes, I did.”
“Thank you.” He turned to her and nodded.
“Thank you, it’s exactly what I wanted for Christmas,” he smiled and pulled her into a tight hug, kissing the top of her head.
“Thank you,” he whispered again, “thank you.”

“Who wants turkey!” Marshall called proudly, lugging the bird in on a tray.
“Applause for the cook, Coral,” Marshall said grinning.
“Thank you,” Coral said bowing at the clapping and taking her seat.
Once the turkey was carved and everyone passing food around, Marshall took a minute to look around the table. Here it was, his family Christmas. Friends, family, his daughter, and his fiancee. Christmas tree in the living room, presents under the tree, loads of decorations, music playing softly in the background, laughter and chatter around the table. Everything he had always wanted from a family Christmas.
After dinner everyone congregated in the living room for dessert, coffee, and presents. Marshall knew he had gone overboard, but he couldn’t help it. Coral had encouraged him to just take the presents he’d gotten for Hailie and wrap them up to put under the tree, make it feel more festive. After that he’d gone a little nuts and went shopping for everyone under the sun.
Coral passed around pie and coffee, hot chocolate and cookies for Haile and the rest of the kids, while Marshall passed out presents. He couldn’t stop smiling. He was so happy that everyone in his world that he loved was here, celebrating with him. He didn’t want it to end.
Hailie, along with Dre and Proof’s kids sat around the tree tearing into the presents that Marshall had managed to amass in the living room. Toys coming out of brightly colored boxes, children running to their mothers and fathers asking for help to pull them out of the boxes. It was a beautiful image.
Marshall continued to pass around gifts, he even had things for his brother, his mother, and Kim. He handed her a wrapped package cautiously, and watched as she unwrapped it.
“You didn’t have to, really,” Kim said calmly.
“I know.”
“This will come in handy, my other journal is just about full,”she nodded quietly.
“I thought you’d like Fleur, things, you said you liked those once,” Marshall replied awkwardly.
“Yeah, I do. The house looks good.”
“Thanks, I put a lot of work into it. Coral helped, she’d kinda like the designer around here.”
“She did a good job.”
“Why did you come?” Marshall asked carefully.
“Well, your friend there, she said that this was something you really wanted, and something you really wanted for Hailie. I got over wanting to punish you and figured that Hailie deserved it. Don’t read too much into it Marshall. I’m still not okay with you. But Hailie isn’t happy. She’s been missing a lot of school lately. Saying she’s sick, not feeling good. She asks about you a lot. Bottom line, the psychologist says she needs to see her father. Merry Christmas,” Kim handed him an envelope and walked away.
Marshall’s fingers slipped on the flap as he pulled the envelope open. The papers were heavy but he found what he was looking for.
“The Court of Detroit Michigan hereby gives visiting rights of the minor child, Hailie Jade to Marshall Mathers. Alternating weeks, effective immediately.” Warmth spread through Marshall’s body and he took a deep breath. He was getting his girl back. Maybe fate wasn’t too bad.
He let the evening wind down, enjoying Hailie sitting on his lap as she gabbed on and on about anything and everything. He was enjoying everything so much. It had been a wonderful evening.
He was pleasantly stuffed to the brim with the wonderful meal and desserts Coral had cooked and just plain happy. He liked the feeling. There was something else he had to do first before he could let it all sink in.
“Everyone,” Marshall said as he stood, the room quieted.
“I just want to say thanks for all of ya coming and spending Christmas Eve with us here. This house is sure appreciating being almost split at the seams, I imagine. There is something that I want to share with you all, it’s something that came my way, that I wasn’t expecting, but I’m happy that it did all the way. Coral, come here for a second,” Marshall said, motioning her over. She came to his side and with his arm around her waist he said,
“I hope that you’ll all be happy too, to come to our wedding this summer. I asked Coral to marry me, and she said yes.”
“Man, I am gonna kill you!” Paul shouted and the entire room erupted in laughter. Coral jumped out of the way as Paul launched at Marshall with a piece of pie in hand.
***FIN***