- Text Size +
Part VI

The next morning Marshall decided that he was going to make the best of this house if it killed him. Something had bothered him about the house, and that was that it was cold. Granted he lived in California, it was sunny all the time, but the house, was sterile. The backyard, lifeless. It was time to make the house a home.
Sitting down to breakfast he brought with him a notebook he designated for ideas.
“All right, I say, we start with the living room. I hate that thing, and the furniture in there is awful.” Marshall said taking a large bite out of his fruit salad.
“Getting a little gung ho are we?” Coral asked looking up from the newspaper.
“Oh, and by the way, we’re gonna start using that damn dining room. There’s no reason to wait to use it.” Marshall replied.
“Okay. Oh, and we need to go over a menu, of what you want and when, likes and dislikes,” Coral added.
“Anything you make, is gonna be fine. Just make what you want to make, when you want to make it. I was thinking, in there, one of those faux finish things, I think they call them. They use like plaster or something.” Marshall went on.
“What color?”
“I was thinking like one of those orangey leathery looking type.”
“All right, kinda southwest then, ranch almost, right?”
“Exactly.”
“You know what would look great in there,” Coral remarked pointing with her fork towards the living room, “Some of those beams, across the ceiling.”
“Yeah, it a real dark brown, almost black stain.”
“You got it.” Coral smiled.
“And hardwood flooring, same color, keep the white ceiling, get rid of the textured stuff up there,” Marshall continued and Coral smiled at his enthusiasm.
“See, you knew what you wanted, you didn’t need me.”
“Now that’s where you’re wrong. What would you think of helping me build an entertainment center? That fiber board crap is awful,” Marshall asked seriously.
“I know how to paint, move furniture, arrange flowers, but that’s about it. But if you know how to do it, I’ll be more than happy to help you.”
“Great, now what I was thinking for the foyer…”
Marshall and Coral spent the rest of the day going through each room making detailed plans for each one. Coral usually waited until Marshall suggested a theme, then she suggested a color. They tweaked the details until it was perfectly laid out in the notebook. So far the living room was the southwestern feel, and each room from there was a little different. He was not one for sticking with one theme throughout the entire house, he was eclectic, and his house was going to be that way too.
Marshall wanted to shy away from Hailie’s room, but Coral wouldn’t let him.
“Avoiding the issue is not going to make it any better,” Coral warned tugging on his arm towards the door. He groaned like a little kid not wanting to do something but allowed himself to be pulled into the room.
“Now what is she like?” Coral asked looking around the sparse room. It was evident that the little girl had hardly spent any time here, it was a sad and drab room.
“She likes flowers, she has to have flowers on all her clothes, and birds. That’s why I got her a little canary, for her last birthday, it was so cute, she taught him how to sing the piano line from ‘Mockingbird’, she named him Tweety,” Marshall chuckled slightly.
“All right then. A bright sunny yellow, for those two walls there, and over here, a softer green. A picket fence head board, with hand-painted flowers. A simple handmade table desk, hand-painted again, along with the chair. All the furniture in here has to be hand-painted. Oh, and a nice big pretty birdcage, lets not forget that,” Coral said and turned to find Marshall furiously taking notes. He looked up and said,
“I hope you can teach me how to paint flowers and birds, cause the only thing I ever drew was something that looked like it was on crack,” Coral laughed and grinned at him.
“With so much enthusiasm, you’ll do great, and she’ll love it, cause you did it for her,” Coral assured him and patted his elbow.

They sat down at dinner, Marshall with his notebook at his side, as he ate for the first time in his dining room.
“This table is the first thing that has got to go,” he remarked sitting back and looking at it.
“Too sharp and square, I agree.”
“Too dark too. I’m thinking, for in here, get rid of the ugly paintings,” Marshall motioned to the various watercolors on the walls.
“Yeah, I took the one down in my room, I mean, I was wondering how you got something so cutesy in your house.”
“Like I said, the only thing that changed when I got in this house was how full the dresser drawers were. Everything was already here. That’s why I bought the place.”
“Quick and easy.”
“You go it. So what room should we start dismantling tomorrow?” he asked through a bite of rice.
“I’d go with the living room. Everyone spends a lot of time in there, so you probably want that finished first.”
“Good idea.”

A week later Dre returned to visit Marshall and walked into the middle of Marshall’s renovation project.
“Em, what the hell are you doing?” Dre asked standing in the middle of the large empty living room, finding Marshall teetering on a high ladder as he finished putting painters tape along the ceiling.
“Hey man, just a little home improvement that’s all, hang on, I’m coming down, I’m done up here anyway.” Marshall dropped the tape over the side of the ladder and made quick work of shimmying down it.
“You okay man? You don’t do home improvement,” Dre said as they walked towards the kitchen.
“Yeah, I’m fine, and yeah I do home improvement, just haven’t felt like it much lately.” Dre noticed the stacks of paint chips and building pamphlets on the counter as they went inside.
“Uh huh, yeah, that’s exactly what he wants. Perfect, come on over on, oh hang on a second,” Coral was on the phone and when she saw Marshall she covered the receiver.
“I found a guy to put up the beams, is it all right if he comes over tomorrow to check it out and give you an estimate?” she asked.
“Sure, that’s cool.” Marshall nodded and Coral made the appointment before hanging up the phone.
“Ah, he’s back. Care to make another prostitute comment or something?” Coral asked.
“Look, I’m not trying to make any trouble,” Dre retorted.
“Yeah, so what’d you find on my background check?” she asked cocking her head to one side and leaning forward slightly on the counter. Marshall noticed her eyes darken slightly as she stared at Dre and Dre at her.
“Not a damn thing, not even a parking ticket, and yes you do have an invitation to the Cour Don Bleu,” Dre replied.
“Told you man,” Marshall laughed.
“What I don’t get, is why you didn’t hold out on him for money so you could go to school, it’s what you want isn’t it?” Dre asked with a hardened voice.
“Dre, what did I tell you?” Marshall asked.
“Answer the question,” Dre snapped. Coral’s eyes narrowed.
“What I want is to be able to go I my own bill, not anyone else’s. It’s not his responsibility or anyone else’s but mine. Believe it or not, there are people left in this world who are responsible to themselves.” Coral replied stepping back and turning to open the refrigerator.
“It’s just a long time since I’ve seen one.”
“Well, get used to it. I’m gonna start on lunch, you all right to finish putting up the tape in the living room?” Coral asked looking past Dre at Marshall.
“Yeah, Dre can help me, and stay for lunch if he wants. That is, if it is okay with you,” Marshall added.
“It’s fine with me as long as we get a few things strait.” Coral replied turning from the cabinet she was looking through.
“What’s that?” Dre asked suspiciously.
“You keep the nasty comments to yourself about my intentions here and we won’t have any more problems, copasetic?”
“Fine.” Coral nodded sharply and went back to her search.

“So what is it exactly that you do anyway?” Dre asked later as they were sitting down to a lunch of pita bread sandwiches, filled with three-bean salad, cheese and lettuce.
“What you’re looking at,” Marshall said with a grin.
“You really do just cook?” Dre asked skeptically.
“Well, cook, bake, basically yeah. I hope the pitas came out all right.” Coral replied placing a bowl of sliced avocado on the table along with some chips.
“You make your own bread?” Dre asked surprised.
“Yup, the chips too, though I think I left them in a little too long,” at this Coral picked up a chip, dipped it into the avocado and popped it in her mouth. Once she swallowed, she shook her head and said,
“Nope, they just browned a little more than usual. They’re just right.”
“What you sitting there for Dre, try it, I’m telling you, she’s the best cook around.” Marshall said as he dove into his own pita. He was never a fan of what he liked to call rabbit food, like salads, even bean salads, but everything Coral made was too good, and he couldn’t deny that the stuff was great. He detected a pattern in her cooking. Mornings she’d often make coffee, toast and then asked Marshall if he preferred something light, or heavy, depending on the day. Lunch was always light, most often salads and cold soups, the girl made a mean gazpacho, or if it was a gloomy day, some times hot soups and grilled sandwiches. Dinner was an event. She’d make her own pasta and breads, stuffed pork chops or grilled stakes, but every night it was something a little different.
Dre tentatively picked up the pita and bit into it. Marshall watched for his reaction.
“Damn.” Was the only answer they got.
“So is that a compliment?” Coral asked with a sly gaze.
“That’s good,” Dre replied once he swallowed, “really good.”
“Told you man,” Marshall laughed before going back to his own food.
“You know what, I was thinking, since my wedding anniversary is coming up, and I wanted to hire a chef to come in and make a really fancy dinner for my wife. You obviously can cook, so, would you be willing?” Dre asked after a few thoughtful moments.
“Got to ask the boss man,” Coral replied seriously.
“Are you kidding?” Marshall laughed.
“I have an obligation here,” Coral started.
“I can take care of myself for one day Coral, I survived before you got here,” Marshall laughed.
“What are your rates?” Dre asked.
“Well, what are you offering?” Coral replied.
“No, you tell me what you want,” Dre smirked, and he noticed Marshall was grinning at him too.
“Well, that all depends on what you want. I’ll do the setup myself, unless you want that done by someone else, but I see, red and gold tablecloths, and banners for the chairs. Tall gold candelabras, two or three, white candles. For flowers, I’d suggest, for an anniversary, red roses, a classic, with, violets, just for accent. And, if you have a picture, I can make a replica of your wedding cake, smaller version of course. What do you think?” Coral it seemed had drifted into her own little world when she had been planning out the dinner in her head. Dre and Marshall were starring at her with jaws dropped when she finally woke from her trance.
“Uh, wow, yeah, that’d be perfect,” Dre replied.
“Oh, and for appetizers, cheese puffs made with asiago and ricotta, entrée, stuffed lobster, rice with lemon, and asparagus to finish it off, okay?” she asked.
“You got the job. What’s your rate?” Dre asked.
“Well, if I’m going to be around you celebrity types,” Coral joked and they all laughed.
“Three hundred, not including supplies.” She replied after a moment.
“You got it. It’s next week, Thursday night, you gonna have enough notice?” Dre asked.
“Plenty, just make sure to get me the picture of the cake, and I’ll get right on it,” Coral smiled at him for the first time since she met him.
“All right then, all right.” Dre nodded and cracked a smile himself.

Marshall liked the busy feeling to the house any more. It was alive with the prospects and possibilities of the kind of life he wanted. Workers were coming and going, do the job of putting up the ceiling beams, and giving estimates. Coral was cooking up a storm, using Marshall to test out her recipes so that they’d be perfect for Dre’s anniversary dinner. Good things were happening to him. Friends were calling and making arrangements to come visit him. He’d gotten inspired and wrote a few rap songs, declaring that maybe he was not out of the rap game. And best of all, was the day Marshall got the ultimate surprise, Kim let Hailie call. He was over the moon with delight after sitting on the phone for a period of four hours with his daughter. After that, he decided the next room to be redecorated was Hailie’s
The day before Coral would be cooking for Dre, she was making the cake. Marshall had gone out earlier to pick up some furniture he had ordered for Hailie’s room and still wasn’t back yet. In between twirling sugared violets onto a blue marzipan cake, she cooked some fresh pasta she’d whipped up that afternoon, along with fresh tomato sauce and some bread with garlic and oil. While Marshall was out she decided to get out some of her own music and pop it in, to listen to while she was cooking. It was some typical country, with some poppy beat to it, and a twangy family of singers, but it was what she liked and what she enjoyed to listen to. It was light, happy, and none too depressing, that’s why she liked it. She figured since country was as far away from rap as you could get, that Marshall would not be too much of fan of it, so she would only play it while he was out of the house, which wasn’t often.
“Jimmy’s got a girlfriend, we all know where he’s been, hugging and kissing, oh Jimmy’s got a girlfriend,” went the twangy southern voices through the stereo, with Coral singing energetically along. She danced around the kitchen, singing at the top at the top of her lungs. She twirled a few more violets onto the three tiered cake and did a little dance back to the stove to check on the sauce.
“Multitalented I see,” Marshall said leaning in the doorway. Coral jumped nearly five feet in the air, her face immediately turned red and she had to fight to keep from running.
“Oh he-hey, you got the furniture?” she asked nervously as she hurried to turn the music off.
“Why’d you stop?” he asked again as she sheepishly returned to the stove.
“I made pasta and sauce, some garlic bread.” She replied quickly.
“Coral,” Marshall singsonged.
“What?” she asked.
“Why didn’t you tell me you sing, and dance?” he asked with a grin a mile wide. Coral kept her back to him.
“Oh Coral,” he sang again as he sneaked up behind her, “Coral.” This time she didn’t answer, so he spun her around and threw her over his shoulder, the spoon still in her hand.
“All right! All right! You got me!” she laughed.
“Yeah, listening to country music, in my house, huh?” he laughed shaking her.
“I give, I give!” she shouted with laughter.
“All right, just no more country music in my house,” Marshall relented putting her down.
“I’ll get you out to a honky tonk, just you wait and see,” she replied, the pink in her cheeks finally dulling.
“I doubt it. So, is this Dre’s cake?” Marshall asked looking at the half-completed creation.
“Yeah, just a couple hundred or more violets and then the sugar web.” Coral replied picking up her frosting bag and spinning out another violet.
“I can’t believe how perfectly you matched this to the picture, you’re a real artist Coral,” Marshall replied.
“Thanks, I appreciate that,” Coral placed the violet carefully on the cake and began to spin another one.
“I picked up Hailie’s furniture, we can start painting that while we wait for them to be finished putting up the beams in the living room,” Marshall replied watching Coral work for a minute. It was amazing the way the she worked with the frosting, making flowers bloom from the tip into tiny life like buds.
“That’s good. Hey, you want to do me a favor, turn off the sauce?” she asked placing the next flower in place on the cake. Marshall nodded and turned off the sauce, giving a stir for good measure.
“So why did you freak out when I heard you singing?” he asked as he took his usual seat at the counter.
“It’s embarrassing, that’s why,” her cheeks turned slightly pink again.
“It was funny,” Marshall replied with a smile.
“It’s stupid, is what it is,” Coral replied as she placed yet another flower on the cake.
“You’re not stupid Coral. Why can’t you act silly like that, around me?” Marshall asked.
“I don’t act like that around anyone, here, give me your finger,” she took his outstretched hand in one of hers and held the pointer finger up to her gaze. She took up the frosting bag and proceeded to spin a flower on the tip of his finger. He laughed as she gave him his hand back.
“There, what do you think of that?” she asked.
“You’re something else Coral,” Marshall chuckled as he held the flower up for his inspection.
“Go ahead, taste it,” she replied.
“It’s too beautiful to,” Marshall replied.
“And beautiful things are meant to be enjoyed, now eat it. I make sure that everything I make is not only pretty, but it tastes good too.” Marshall smiled at her and popped the flower into his mouth. He nodded as the sweet flower melted on his tongue.
“You’re right, you’re always right.”

“All right, I made you breakfast, there is stuff for sandwiches in the fridge, and I made a lasagna for dinner, that you can heat up whenever you’re ready,” Coral informed Marshall as he came down the stairs and entered the kitchen. She handed him a cup of coffee and took a sip from her own.
“Today’s the big day huh?” Marshall asked.
“Yup, and I want to make a good impression.” Coral added with a nod. She searched through the drawers for all the utensils she would need.
“You’re stuff is going to be great.” She smiled at him.
“Thanks, and thanks about letting me do this catering thing,” Coral said genuinely.
“Hey, I’m not letting you do anything, Coral, I’m not your keeper, you can do anything you want. I’m glad you’re getting your feet wet.” Marshall smiled at her and lifted his coffee in a toast to her.
“But thanks none the less. All right, Dre said he’d have his wife out of the house by ten, so I better get going. I still got to pick up the lobsters and the flowers, as well as the place settings.” Coral said making a mental list for herself.
“Oh, and the directions to Dre’s house are on the fridge, before you leave them,” Marshall added.
“Ah, thank you, I almost forgot. That would have been rich, all right, I think that’s everything. So, like I said, the lasagna,” Coral started.
“Coral, I can take care of myself for a day. The fridge is stocked, I got plenty of painting to do, and there’s a guy coming to give an estimate for the deck. I’ll be fine.” Marshall interrupted.
“You sure?” she laughed.
“Yes! Now go!” Marshall replied pushing her out the door.

“So, how was it?” Marshall asked later that night as Coral sat her box of kitchen utensils down on the counter. Marshall was heating up the lasagna in the oven while Coral unbuttoned her chef’s coat and smiled.
“Wonderful. The food turned out perfect, and they loved it. Everything turned out gorgeous,” she replied.
“That’s great, you want some of this lasagna?”
“Yeah, sounds good. Wow, this was, just something,” Coral said as she took a seat at the counter. Marshall turned towards her, watching her, seeing that she was tired, but happy.
“How so?” She took a deep breath and looked over at him.
“It’s been so nice, working, and doing something that I like, and for people who really appreciate it. I mean, today, and actually, everyday has been, just really nice. It’s nice doing something that you like, and feeling good about it.” Marshall nodded. He remembered that feeling, he’d had it once. Before he lost his daughter.
“So how was the estimate?” Coral asked breaking him out of his reverie.
“Oh? Yeah, I don’t know, I think I might wait on that for now. I really want to get the living room done, and Hailie’s room too.” Coral nodded.
“The living room looks good, that color was definitely the right choice.”
“Just wait till we get the wax on the plaster,” Marshall said with a smile.
“Yeah, it’s gonna be great.”
They ate in silence for a few minutes, both hungry after the day’s workload. Coral with her dinner and Marshall with the painting. Neither wanted to admit it, but they had missed each other. It was really quiet in the house by himself while he painted. He’d even resorted to blaring some music so it wouldn’t feel so lonely. But it wasn’t as much fun without Coral there to joke and talk to. Coral had missed talking to Marshall as well. She wasn’t looking forward to leaving this house anytime soon.
“You have paint in you hair,” she said after a minute.
“Oh, yeah, I figured I would. Oh, I also got a call from Paul today, he’s having trouble getting the paperwork through, they’re just not getting the stuff through for a while it seems.” Marshall replied.
“Hey, no hurry, not like we’re running off to get married again right?” they could only laugh and smile at one another.