- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
I'd like to think this is better than the last...
* Who or whose there
The monotony of this ‘birthday’ was getting to her. It seemed the apathy of her turning 21 had hit it’s peak. Even her mail box had it in for her. It only had a bill and junk mail. Cassandra meandered downheartedly back to her dorm after her last class. She had another hour before she was suppose to meet Terry. When she walked in she saw Yumi passed out on the couch with the TV on. Cassandra turned the sound down and went to see, halfheartedly, if her parents at the very least left her a message on the answering machine.

Nothing. Nothing but old messages for other people. Wandering out the back door she pulled out her Marlboro Menthols and lit up with the lighter that had hit her in the forehead that morning. She rubbed her forhead absently where the lighter had hit her.

‘Wow...I’m glad this is turning into a really shitty birthday,’ she thought bleakly.

“Yeah...I’m getting plastered tonight,” she mused aloud.

“Are you?” The voice was cold but enticingly smooth. Cassandra looked around, not seeing anyone. Than she looked up, just as a cloud of cigarette smoke drifted above her head.

“Hello again,” he said coolly. She stared at him for a moment. “You really don’t remember, do you,” he replied to her blank stare. Cassandra was looking up at a shadowed face against a bright but dark sky.

“Dare ka,”* she said stiffly.

“Maybe if I came into view,” he said coyly. She made a face. This guy wasn’t making her day any better. She took a long, hard drag off her cigarette. Now she was depressed and irritated. There was a soft clack of rocks falling against each other followed by a cloud of cigarette smoke that drfited past her face. Her face went passive, but her irritation showed clearly in her eyes.

“Is this better,” he asked smoothly. He had come around the corner of the building in full veiw for Cassandra to see. She looked at him for a moment. Studying his face she tried to put his hints together. His dirty blond hair reminded her of Terry’s hair, but it looked as fluid as water that matched the liquid gun metal grey eyes. His gaze was a piecing hot as it was cold. She blinked out of her trance from his almost hypnotic eyes.

She took another drag, taking her time in assessing this person.

“Give up,” he teased. She offered a forced playful smile.

“I bumped into you this morning,” she stated blandly.

“Correct.” His smile and eyes were friendly enough, but there was something deeper that caused her unease to the point of violence. “Allow me to introduce myself,” he said with a flair and flutter of his hands and arms. ‘No,’ she thought viciously as she gave his antics a bored expression. “Cole Stratavis, milady,” he said with a low bow. The last word he had said under his breath as Cassandra looked down at his bowed head. Cocking an eyebrow at him she stated icily, “Now aren’t we full of ourselves...”

Straightening he gave her a smile that she could only assume was suppose to be “dashing”. He stepped closer to Cassandra, who stood her ground, watching him closely. He had a threatening aura that was creeping into her own, causing her to feel cramped and a little scared. The closer her got to her the more tense her muscles became, ready to move at a moments notice. Cole was now standing directly in front of her. She was looking rapidly for a weapon, if need be. Since her cigarette had long since extinguished itself, the porch she was standing on was barren, the rocks laying around the porch were too far away, the only weapon she had close to her were her hands. He leaned in close.

‘What the hell is this guy thring to do?! Kiss me?!’ She was already pressed against the wall next to the door. She felt trapped. His hands were on either side of her, making her escape even more difficult. He was leaning in closer to her face. Cassandra’s right hand came up to push him away, it was too close for her, but he caught her hand. He leaned closer to her ear.

‘No!’ Something inside of her screamed. Even his breath was cold against her ear. She couldn’t say anything, for his aura seemed to be choking her.

“I know you’re in there...Yuri,” he whispered darkly.

‘Who the HELL is YURI?!’ she thought furiously. She struggled against him but her strength seemed to be being drained from her as long as he was this close.

“I can sense you in there too, Adele.” These words were icy and hateful. The way he has said Yuri’s name was almost playful, but the way he had said Adele’s was completely different; spitful and hateful.

Cassandra breathlessly strained against Cole.

“Get...Off...Of... ME!” She tried saying these words loudly and harsh, but it came out more like a small scared kitten cry. Cole’s cold grey eyes looked into Cassandra’s soft brown eyes. He was giving her a gentle but expecting gaze. She closed her eyes, she couldn’t look into his eyes too long, it only increased the drowning sensation.

“Cassandra.” It was a small calming voice in her ear.

‘Whose there,’ she thought wildly. She could feel a sly smile creepp across her own lips.

“You wait here. I’ll send Krad on his way.” Whoever was saying this was smiling, almost mischievously.

‘Who the fuck is KRAD?!’

Cassandra’s eyes opened slowly and violet eyes looked back into Cole’s gun metal grey.

“Hello Krad,” she said with a silky but vemonous tone. A small smile played at the corners of his mouth.

“Hello Adele,” Cole replied soft but curtly.