- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Please continue to review!
We decided on eating at the restaurant at the hotel. I figured he would be less likely to be recognized and mobbed there. Nick ordered the seared fillet mignon with potatoes and zucchini while I decided on the pan roasted shrimp with different beans and vegetables I hadn’t necessarily seen mixed together like that. He, of course, helped me with my shrimp and dumped the majority of his zucchini on my plate, not being much of a zucchini eater. “This is the biggest lunch I’ve ever had,” I laughed to myself.

“Hey, at least we don’t have to try to go out and find a big dinner,” Nick shrugged. I nodded, agreeing with him as I took another bite of shrimp.

“I feel so underdressed,” I whispered across the table as I watched a couple enter the restaurant. The man was in khaki dress pants and a collared blue shirt and tie, and the woman was in an elegant, yet casual, summer dress. I looked down at my own business coat and skirt.

“You feel underdressed?” He laughed. We both had to laugh as I realized Nick had on a simple t-shirt and jeans. “You want to get the rest to-go?”

“Sure,” I nodded, figuring it would be the best considering our surroundings. Nick called over the waiter and told him our plan. The waiter handed Nick the bill.

I pulled my wallet out and handed Nick twenty dollars, covering my plate. “It’s on me,” Nick shrugged off the money, refusing to take it.

“No way, you’re not paying for this on your own. It wasn’t cheap, Nick,” I whispered and pushed the money towards him. He pushed it back.

“It’s really not a big deal,” he pulled out his credit card and put it on top of the bill. “Plus, I don’t have any cash. So it’s easier to pay all together this way instead of separating the bill.” He shrugged. I sighed and put my money away and waited for the boxes to put away our food.

We walked out of the restaurant and I couldn’t help but enjoy the feeling I had when I was with Nick. I smiled to myself as we walked back into the hotel. “I’m going to go upstairs and put this in the fridge so it doesn’t go bad. Then we can go to your hotel so you can put yours away.” He said. I nodded and walked up to his room with him. I couldn’t believe how amazing it was. It was beautifully decorated. Nick walked into a separate room I assumed was the kitchen and I took the chance to look around. I noticed across the hall that someone had put his or her shoes outside the door.

“What’s with the shoes?” I whispered to Nick.

“Some of the hotel staff comes around at night and shines all the shoes in the hallway,” Nick explained, completely aware of the situation. My eyes bulged and I tried to stifle the laughter.

“Are you serious?” I managed to get out before laughter overtook me. He laughed and nodded as he shut the door to his room and we headed downstairs. “Sorry, I’m just not used to this fancy hotel stuff.” I shrugged as we stood in the elevator waiting to touch down on the first floor.

“I’m not a huge fan of it. It gets kind of annoying and old after a while. Someone’s always there to wait on you and do stuff for you,” he shrugged with a disgusted look on his face. I couldn’t believe how much he’d changed. When he was younger, he was so upset if someone wasn’t there to wait on him hand and foot.

We got off the elevator and made our way through the revolving doors and to the side of the street. He caught us a cab and I gave the driver directions to my hotel. As we pulled up in front of the building, Nick pulled out his wallet and I caught a glimpse of the green cash he had stashed away in there.

“Hmm, so you don’t have any cash, do you?” I eyed him suspiciously. He blushed and shrugged. I studied his face as he studied mine and I felt my heart flutter into my throat. What was this? Okay, okay, I admit it. Nick Carter was getting to me.