- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
I am so, so sorry for the lack of updates today. I went to visit a college earlier, then came home to find out the reason my back's been bothering me is because I broke my tail bone, then I found my neighbors on either side of me were robbed this morning! Oh, what a wonderful day, lol. I think I finally have some time to write, so I'll be putting out another chapter, hopefully, tonight! Please R&R!
“Okay, I swear I’ll call again in a few days to let you know I’m still alive, then you can pass the word on to mom, dad and maybe Ryan,” I said after I had talked to Brad for a few minutes.

“Bradley LaRoe! You open this door this instant!” I heard my mom yell from the closed door Brad was standing by.

“Are you sure you can handle mom?” I sighed, the guilt beginning to wash over me as I realized what, rather who, I was leaving my brother with.

“I’ve put up with her for twenty-nine years,” he laughed. “I can handle just about anything.”

“Okay, well, thanks for everything,” I smiled. “I love you.”

“Love you too,” I could feel his love through the phone. “Bye.” He hung up. I smiled, feeling refreshed again, and hung up as well. I glanced around the hotel room feeling victorious over my family problems. A small smile began to creep up on my lips as my eyes fell upon the piece of paper Nick had left his number on. I picked up the phone, once more, and dialed the number.

“Hello?” I heard his voice answer the phone. I could hear the faint sound of a television in the background.

“Hey, it’s Rachel,” I smiled and twirled the cord around my index finger, a nervous habit I had caught. “Um, I’m not bothering you, am I?” I tried to stifle my laughter as I heard him clear his throat and scramble off the bed. The television had been turned off, leaving silence on the other end for a moment.

“No, of course not,” he laughed. “Is everything okay back home?”

“Oh yeah, everything’s fine,” I lied. “Sorry you had to leave so soon.” I truly felt lousy about making him leave so quickly. If I had it my way, he would have stayed.

“It’s not a big deal,” he tried to play it down, but I knew he had felt hurt that our hanging out had ended so soon. “I understand what it’s like, being busy, and all.”

“I still doesn’t really make me feel any better about it,” I sighed. “And plus, I really enjoyed having lunch with you this afternoon. It was really fun.” I smiled.

“Yeah, it was,” he agreed. The butterflies had been set free in my stomach. But then there was that awkward silence, once more that I couldn’t seem to escape. It was my turn to take a leap of faith.

“I was thinking, since you covered lunch today, it would be only fair that I return the gesture,” I bit my bottom lip, another nervous habit taking over. “So, how about we order pizza at my place tonight? Something light but fulfilling?”

“I-I’d love to,” I could sense him smile through the phone. “How about six o’clock?” He asked me. I nodded, then shook my head, realizing he couldn’t see me through the phone.

“Sounds great!” I exclaimed. “Just in case you forgot since earlier, my hotel’s called the Embassy Suites and it’s on 102 North End Avenue. And my room number is 307.”

“Don’t worry, I didn’t forget,” he muttered softly. I think he meant for it to be inaudible, but I heard every word. I couldn’t control the soft laughter that erupted from my mouth. “S-Sorry, I mean, I have a good memory.” We both laughed at how false that statement was. “Well, I’ll see you at six.”

“Okay, bye, Nick,” I smiled and hung up after he said ‘bye’. I placed the phone back on the side table and fell back on my bed in a fit of laughter. I couldn’t believe how happy I was. No, that was wrong. I couldn’t believe how happy he made me. And the scary thing was, I didn’t want it to ever end.