- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Sorry for the lack of updates today! I got incredibly busy and lost track of time. I know, lousy excuse, but it's all I got! Please update!!
His eyes lit up like I had never seen them before and he laughed. “S-Seriously?” He stumbled over his words and I nodded. I couldn’t help but giggle at his excitement. He picked me up and spun me around in the middle of the hotel hallway. As he planted my feet back down on the carpet, he bent down and kissed me passionately.

“I take it you’re happy with my decision?” I bit my bottom lip as he smiled and nodded profusely. He bent down and kissed me again, reassuring me he was extremely happy with my decision.

He caught a glance at my left hand and noticed the ring was gone. “Did you tell Ryan?” He asked me and I nodded. He helped me bring my bags into the hotel room.

“I checked out of my hotel this morning and went to his hotel to tell him. I just told him that I thought he was a great man and I was sad to tell him goodbye, but my heart and soul belonged to someone else,” I muttered and glanced in Nick’s direction. He looked genuinely happy. “I gave him the ring back. I asked him if he wouldn’t tell my mother. I called the airport and got a ticket to fly back to Tampa in a few hours to get my things out of Ryan’s house. I’ll tell my family then.”

“Wow,” Nick sighed and ran a hand through his hair. “You really thought about this, huh?”

“Yep,” I laughed. “I think I slept a total of three hours last night. I had a lot of time to think things through.”

“Well, I’m glad you thought it through and you’re one hundred and ten percent sure about all this,” he almost sounded nervous and I laughed.

“Nick, I love you,” I reassured him. Then I realized it was really the first time I had said that to him since we were together before. I knew it, and I figured he knew it, too. But I hadn’t really said it.

“I love you, Rachel,” he smiled and kissed me softly.

“I, do, think we should take it slow,” I mumbled. He pulled away hesitantly. “I mean, we can be together. But I just got out of my second engagement and I need some time to feel comfortable and not so vulnerable.”

“I understand,” he nodded.

“I called my boss this morning and told him I had a family emergency back home, but I was planning on returning to work in a few days,” I bit my bottom lip. “I took the job, Nick, not just the internship. They offered me an actual job as a secretary. I know it’s not much, but it’s a start. So I’ll be living in New York all the time now.”

I wanted to know how he would react to this. He would travel with the boys all the time, but in his free time, he spent it in Florida with his friends and family. “I’m proud of you. I would never want you to run from your dreams.”

“Are you going to run? Knowing that I’m staying here?” I frowned. I needed to know.

“Absolutely not,” he exclaimed. “Rachel, I couldn’t be happier for you! You’re accepting my life as a Backstreet Boy and I’m accepting yours as a secretary in New York! I’ll be here all my free time!”

“Thank you for understanding,” I smiled and kissed his cheek softly. “Listen, it’s 10:45 now. My plane is scheduled to leave at 4:00. I took off work today through next week. I hope to get to Florida, empty out the house, get a moving truck to drive up here and move into an apartment somewhere. I don’t have that much stuff at Ryan’s, mainly just clothes. And I’ll have to buy new furniture…” I trailed off as I realized what a hassle all of this was going to be.

“Hey, don’t worry about it,” Nick draped his arms around me and pulled me close. “I’ll help you find a place and get you situated before I leave for recording. I’ll make sure you’re all set before I go.”

“Thanks, Nick,” I sighed and leaned into him. “I feel bad…about letting Ryan go.”

“Did you follow your heart?” Nick asked me softly and kissed the top of my head. I nodded.

“Completely,” I whispered.

“Then you have nothing to worry about,” he hugged me tightly. “You were right letting him go before it was too late. Plus, I love you too much to let you go.”