- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
I apologize for not updating last night. I ended up coming down with the flu and watched the homerun derby instead. I'll try to post more in a few hours; I have my x-rays done in an hour for my back but after that I should have more time to write! Please review! Thanks!
“So, you’re sure you want to go without me?” Nick asked me for the hundredth time as we sat at a small table in a café eating sandwiches for lunch. “Because I can go to the airport and get a last minute ticket if you want.”

“Nick, you’re so sweet to worry about me, but I really need to do this on my own,” I sighed. “I don’t think it would go over well if you helped me move out of Ryan’s place. And I really need to tell my mom by myself. It’s one thing that I’m breaking off the engagement, but it would be so much worse if I brought you home at the same time.”

“True,” Nick nodded. I smiled and touched his hand across the table.

“Don’t worry. No one’s going to talk me out of anything. Everything’s going to work out,” I smiled. He smiled and nodded.

“I know,” he mumbled through a mouthful of a turkey sandwich. I laughed and threw a napkin at him. “So, what can I do for you while you’re gone.”

I sighed. “Well, if you want, you could look for an apartment for me in a reasonable price range. I’ll need somewhere to live. And just tell Bri and Leigh that I’ll call them in a few days once I get things settled in Florida. I feel bad that I just took off last night.”

“They understand,” he reassured me. “It’s all going to be okay. I don’t want you to worry about a thing while you’re gone, okay?”

“Okay,” I smiled. “Thanks for everything.” I rested my hand on his.

“No problem,” he winked. We both finished our sandwiches and walked hand-in-hand down the street. As we passed by a pet store, I hurried back to the window and squealed over a litter of puppies.

“Aw! They are so adorable!” I exclaimed as I touched the glass where one’s nose was resting. “Nick, aren’t they adorable?”

“Yeah, yeah, yeah,” Nick sighed and wrapped his arm around me. “Come on, Rach.”

“Aw, but I want one!” I exclaimed in a fake pout and he laughed.

“Nice try. There’s no way I’m letting you bring home a puppy so I can stay here and take care of it while you’re away. I don’t feel like being responsible for anything any time soon,” he joked and I rolled my eyes.

“Fine,” I muttered. I always wanted a puppy. My dad was always ‘allergic’, as my mom would say. She never let me have a dog when I was growing up. I figured it was really because she didn’t want to have to worry about it.

“I’ll get you a stuffed animal instead,” he tried to make me feel better and I laughed.

“Okay, yeah, that’ll fool me,” I replied sarcastically. “Nice try, my mom pulled that one until I was seventeen.” I laughed. He chuckled and shook his head. “We better get back to your hotel so I can get my things together and get to the airport.”

“Yeah, you’re right,” Nick sighed and nodded. We caught a taxi back to the hotel. I knew this entire week was going to be strange. Nick and I wouldn’t be seeing each other for a little while, but it wasn’t like we weren’t used to being away from each other. Then it would be weird explaining everything that transpired between Ryan and I to my family and friends. I still didn’t know how I was going to tell my mother the wedding was off. When I had decided on accepting a new life, I really meant “new life”. New home, new boyfriend, new job…everything. I would be leaving the only home I ever knew – Florida and my family.

I glanced over at Nick and watched as he looked out the window. His gaze caught my eyes and he smiled, placing his hand over mine, trying to comfort me.

It was then that I realized it was all worth it in the end.