- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Thank you for the reviews! Please keep them coming!
“What do you mean, welcome home? I can’t afford this!” I exclaimed as I looked around the beautiful home. It was completely decked out with new furniture. It seemed like everything screamed ‘Me’ as I looked at it.

“Yes, you can,” he smiled and winked. I heard a bark and my heart skipped a beat.

“Nickolas Gene Carter,” I muttered as a small, Sheltie puppy like the one we had passed at the pet store ran up to my feet. I scooped it up in my arms. “Aw! It’s so cute!” I couldn’t help the tears that came to my eyes. “I can’t believe you did this for me.”

“It’s the least I could do. I knew that leaving your place back home would be kind of hard for you, so I wanted you to come back here and immediately feel comfortable in a new place,” he smiled.

“You know I hate it when you spoil me,” I laughed lightly.

“Yes, but you know me. I love to spoil,” he smiled and nudged my arm playfully as I played with the puppy. “Who’s going to be here to help me train it, though? I mean, it’s such a sweet gesture, but I’m going to be out of the house most of the day. I’ve never trained a dog before.”

“I’ve trained plenty,” Nick shrugged it off like it was no big deal.

“That’s nice, Nick. But, it’s not like you’re going to be here to help me,” I rolled my eyes playfully in his direction.

“Oh, but you’re so wrong there,” he gently touched my arm and pulled me over to a bedroom. I saw it was painted blue with a matching bedspread and all. I couldn’t believe my eyes. Better yet, I couldn’t believe what he was saying.

“Nick, this is moving way too --.” He cut me off before I could continue.

“I know, I know,” he brought his hands up in defense. “But it’s not like we’re going to be living together. I’ll just have a place to stay whenever I’m in New York. I’m not trying to make it seem like we’re living together at all. And I don’t want you to feel inferior because in a way, you’re helping me out by giving me somewhere to stay.”

“Only you paid for the whole thing,” I laughed softly and shook my head at him. He knew I didn’t have the money to have a place to stay. “I can’t accept this.”

“Yes, you can,” he bit his bottom lip trying to find another reason as to why I should take it. “Just look at it as you’re staying in my house. I bought it but you’re going to stay in it while I’m away.”

I laughed. He was too cute for words. I finally fell into agreement. Like I had said earlier, without this place, I didn’t really have anywhere to go. “Fine,” I sighed. “You win. Thank you.” I kissed his cheek.

“No problem,” he smiled and took the puppy from my arms. “What are you going to name her?” He asked me. I smiled and bit my bottom lip in contemplation.

“I’m not sure…” I looked around the penthouse to try and figure out some kind of name. My eyes landed on a movie that Nick had obviously gotten for me. It was my favorite Disney movie as a kid. The Little Mermaid. “Ariel.” I replied with a grin.

“I should have known,” Nick chuckled. Brad looked confused.

“Ariel?” He frowned.

“From that Disney classic,” Nick rolled his eyes. “It’s her favorite movie.”

“Ah,” Brad nodded as he remembered the movie.

“Wait! There’s more!” Nick exclaimed. I rolled my eyes and followed him down a hall to another door.

“More? Nick, when will this stop? You have already spent so much on me, I don’t want your money…” I trailed off as he opened the door for me to see.

It was a pale orange color – almost a little pinkish, like a peach color. There was a bookshelf on the back wall stacked with all my favorite books. There was a beautiful cream-colored, leather couch beside the bookshelf. There was a big bay window along one wall that overlooked Manhattan. In front of the window there was a large oak desk and a comfortable computer chair. There was a computer on the desk, as well as a stack of notebook paper and rows of ink pens. I bit my bottom lip and walked inside. On the wall were wooden letters that spelled out “Rach’s Room”. Nick walked me over to the bookshelf and handed me a book I had never seen before.

“Open it,” he whispered.

As I opened it, I saw a picture that was taken of Nick and I back when we were together. I recognized the book now. I had given it to Nick years ago for our anniversary. It said: ‘To my Nicky, love your Rach.’ He had added something below it that read: ‘Rach, may all your dreams come true – starting with this one.’ As I opened the book, I saw Nick had put a collection of my short stories together. Inside was a contract with a publisher. “O-Oh my God,” I mumbled as I saw the contract.

“Congratulations,” Nick whispered. “They want to be your publisher.”