- Text Size +
“It’s not that we’re mad at each other,” I sighed into my cell phone as I pulled my carryon suitcase behind me. “We didn’t really say anything we’d regret later, but still…it was awkward and uncomfortable.”

“Well, at least you are getting through this before you got closer to your wedding. Marriage isn’t easy, Rachel. You’ll figure that out,” one of my best friends, Leighanne Littrell, said over the phone.

“I know, Leigh. But still, it just makes me angry that he was taking my mom’s side on the whole thing. And it even made me wonder,” I muttered as I watched the big screen above my head to check my plane and make sure there weren’t any delays.

“If I know you as well as I believe I do, then you were wondering before this little argument,” Leighanne said, hinting at what I had been hiding for so long.

“What are you talking about?” I frowned, trying to deny the obvious.

“Oh please, you know I can read you like an open book,” Leighanne laughed on the other end. “Oh, wait! Brian’s here. He wants to say ‘hi’. Hold on a second.” I could hear her laugh in the distance as the phone was taken away from her.

“Hi Rachel,” Brian said. I could tell that there was a large, cheesy grin planted across his lips. This made me smile.

“Hello, Brian,” I laughed. I smiled because him and Leighanne were so happy. I could hear her laughing in the background, struggling to get to the phone. But in the bottom of my stomach, I felt a wave of nausea washing over me. I only wished I had what they did.

“Congrats on getting engaged!” He exclaimed. “You must be so excited. I know Leigh’s excited enough for you.”

“I’m thrilled!” I exclaimed. “You’ll be at the wedding, right?”

“I’ll try my hardest, sweetie,” he said. He always called me that. Sweetie. Like the night my life changed forever.

“He didn’t mean it that way, Rachel,” Brian sighed, a look of pure sympathy overcoming his usually bubbly smile. “You know him better than that.”

“That doesn’t change anything, Brian!” The anger in my voice scared him and he hid his face, not wanting me to see the sadness and pain. “I-I didn’t mean to yell at you, Brian.” I hiccuped, tears cascading down my rosy cheeks.

“I know, I know,” he soothed. He rubbed my back to try and calm me down, but it wasn’t working in his favor. “It’s okay, it’s all going to be okay, sweetie.”


“Rachel?” I heard his voice and I closed my eyes momentarily, trying to rid my mind of those memories.

“Yeah, sorry. I think I was getting beeped or something. Uh, well, as long as you try to make it, that’ll make me happy enough,” I smiled. “Listen Bri, I better get going. Tell Leigh I’ll call her when I get to New York and we’ll talk some more, okay?”

“Okay, I’ll talk to you later,” Brian said. I heard Leighanne begging him for the phone in the background. “She has to go, honey.” He told her.

“Bye B,” I said and hung up. I sighed out-loud and noticed my plane had a thirty minute delay due to rain in New York. I found a hot-dog stand and got myself some lunch, then found my gate and sat down. Finally. Peace and quiet. Or so I thought.

What is that noise? I asked myself. I looked all around and found a mob of girls, some as young as ten and others as old as twenty-five or so. What the hell? I frowned and turned completely around in my chair to try and catch a glimpse of what (or who) these girls were chasing. I watched as the mob came closer to my gate and were finally blocked off by three or four large guards. I watched in horror as I saw him. Him, of all people, just had to be here…at this very gate…at this very moment. Maybe it’s not him? I thought to myself. But then he just had to take off those glasses and reveal his ocean blue eyes. Of all people, why Nick Carter?