- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Unfortunately, this is all I have for you right now. I know it's incredibly short and it leaves you with a slight cliffhanger, but today has been crazy! This is my last summer before my senior year in high school, so I've been visiting a lot of colleges recently. But thank you for sticking with me and sending the reviews! Please keep them coming! If I don't get another chapter out tonight, I will try my hardest to get one out tomorrow. Thanks!!
We walked back to our gate in that awkward silence that no one really enjoys. The security guys were close behind us, trying their hardest to keep each girl away. The crowd had dwindled down now, most of the girls assuming they weren’t going to get any closer to Nick Carter than they already were.

“So, what are you doing going to New York City?” Nick asked me. I took a sip from my hot chocolate and looked up at him with a sense of hope in my eyes. Maybe he would understand my passion and be proud of me for going.

“I got accepted as an intern for Seventeen Magazine,” I smiled, proudly at him.

“Oh, wow! That’s so awesome, Rach! I’m so proud of you,” he exclaimed. I beamed back at him, soaking up his praise. The way he said Rach hit a nerve, in a good way, of course. More like, it hit my heart in a place I hadn’t been touched in a while. “I always knew I’d find you working for some big magazine or something.”

“I wish my family had the same reaction you did,” I laughed lightly and fumbled with my Styrofoam cup, almost sending it to the floor below me. Luckily, my coordination wasn’t off and I caught it before it spilled any.

“Aren’t they proud of you?” Nick frowned.

“You know my mom,” I muttered. “She always manages to find something to be disappointed with.”

“Ah, yeah, I remember,” he laughed lightly. I think he was laughing more because he was nervous rather than he found what I said humorous.

“The only thing she hasn’t disowned me for yet is my fiancé, Ryan,” I sighed and caught Nick’s eyes with my own. He looked a little hurt at the mention of Ryan, but I figured we were both mature enough to get over what had ended years before. “Sometimes I think she’s in love with him. It kind of bothers me only because she seems closer to him than I am.”

I could tell Nick didn’t want the conversation to end, but we didn’t know each other as well as we used to, so he left it at that. We sat in silence for a few more minutes and watched as the planes landed and took off again, some coming from the same direction and taking off in completely different directions. It was ironic, really. “You look good. I mean, not that you didn’t look good before, but you just –.”

“I know what you mean, Nick,” I laughed. “Thank you. You look good, yourself. I really am happy for you and the boys.”

“Thanks. We love what we’re doing,” he smiled. “I’m happy for you, too. I mean, look at you. You’ve landed a spot at a big time magazine company and you’re engaged.”

I smiled and nodded. I mentally slapped myself for thinking, Yeah, only I’m engaged to the wrong person.