- Text Size +
CHAPTER 2

Haley Narrating
Ring. Ring.
Fuck. That was the phone. What time was it anyway? Oh, noon. I guess they were allowed to call then. Damn I had slept for like 9 hours. “Hello?”
“Hey Haley. You just wake up?”
“Hey Melissa. And no I’ve been up for like an hour.”
“No you haven’t.” Why do I even try lying to my friends? “Get up and get dressed. We’re going to lunch in an hour.”
“Where?”
“Burger King.”
“Classy. Where are we meeting?”
“I don’t know. I’ll come get you.”
“K. Bye.”
“Get up Haley!!!”
“Ugh, leave me alone!”
“Goodbye Haley.” I didn’t even bother saying goodbye. I just slammed my phone down and threw back the covers. Damn it was cold in here. And all I was wearing was a skimpy blue tank top and black shorts. It had been hot last night. What happened? I went to brush my teeth and comb my hair. I hadn’t even had time to change when there was a knock on the door.
Assuming it was Melissa changing the time or something I made my way to the door. “Coming,” I yelled. As I opened it I was surprised to see Nick standing there. “Hi.” I said still rather surprised.
“Haley?!” He practically yelled.
“Nick?!” I mimicked him.
“Oh, I uh thought this was Howie’s girlfriend’s room. She’s staying at this hotel. She didn’t like the one we were staying at. She hated the owner or something. I’m really sorry to bother you. Bye.”
He looked so horrified. It was adorable. “Bye.”
Nick Narrating
Oh my God she was only wearing a tiny tank top. And it showed her stomach. A couple inches. Fuck. I definitely didn’t imagine her being hot last night. And I hadn’t exaggerated in my mind either. In fact she was even hotter than I remembered. And I remembered her as being really fucking hot. And she had just made fun of me. Smooth Carter. I had thought that room was Howie’s girlfriend’s room. I whipped out my phone to call the guys and ask for her room number again. Obviously I had remembered wrong. And of all the people…
Oh good. Brian answered. I didn’t have the other guys’ numbers memorized. I used to have them on speed dial but my battery died and I lost all the numbers. Well that had happened about a month ago. I was just too lazy to get the numbers again. “Hey Brian.”
“Did you find Howie?”
“No.”
“He wasn’t in her room?”
“I don’t know her room number.”
“I told you it was 1015.”
“Oh I thought you said 1510. That’s why I got the wrong room.”

”Who’s room did you get?”
“Haley’s. She had just woken up. She was still in her pajamas.” Shit. Why did I add that last part? What an ass. I really should start thinking before I open my mouth
“I’m sure you enjoyed that.”

“Bye Brian thanks for the room number.” I hung up. I didn’t need anyone’s shit about Haley right now. I turned around and headed to the elevator. I stopped when I heard an argument coming from Haley’s room. She must have left the door propped open after I left.
“Well damn Jeff.” Fuck. Boyfriend. “I can’t just drop everything and leave because you’re bored. Besides, you live in Chicago!” Okay I have some time. “I live in Massachusetts.” How does that work out? “And I’m not even home now.”
After a response on the other end she replied, “I don’t know. They were talking about us doing promo for them and everything. Oooh! How’s Kelly is she better?” Who the fuck was Kelly? Sister, niece, cousin, daughter? Oh, I hope not. That would suck.
All of a sudden I noticed how obvious it was that I was eaves dropping. And before I could do anything about it Melissa’s voice helped me come back to reality.
Melissa Narrating
“What the hell are you doing?” And how did he know what Haley’s room number was? I know Haley went home alone last night. Otherwise I woulda wondered.
“Well I thought this was Howie’s girlfriend’s room and we were looking for him and I came here, but I had the wrong room cause I thought the room was 1510 but it was 1015. And I didn’t know it was Haley’s room, and well that’s why I’m here.”
Jesus he is rambling. Well, that answered one question. “So why are you leaning against the door?” What kind of freak was he?
“I, well, I heard her kinda yelling and I just wondered what she was saying. And I didn’t really mean to. So uh, yeah.”
He really didn’t know what to say did he? He looked pathetic. I thought he was supposed to be the confident one who got all the girls. Shouldn’t he be flirting with me to get out of this situation? That would make more sense. “Okay. Well me and Haley are going to lunch so I’m gonna go get her, but before I do is there anything I can help you with? You think you can find your way to the elevators on your own?”
“Yeah. I’m fine.” He walked towards the elevators but then turned around quickly. “Melissa?”
“Yeah?”
“If you don’t mind my asking, who are Jeff and Kelly?”
Should I tell him? I don’t think Haley would mind. “Jeff’s her brother and Kelly is Jeff’s daughter.” Did he look relieved? Why is that? Did he wonder if Jeff was her boyfriend? Cause that was definitely relief on his face.
“Tell her I said hi.”
“Sure.”
End Narration
“Haley, I think Nick likes you.”
“Stace, what are you talking about?”
“Well, Nick was looking for Howie,”
“Yeah, and he came here. How did you know?”
“Well he was outside your door listening to you argue I guess with Jeff because when I came I asked what he was doing and he told me. He asked who Jeff and Kelly were, so I told him. I don’t think he even cared about Kelly once he heard Jeff was your brother.”
“That could mean anything Melissa.”
“I know but you didn’t hear him ask. And he was rambling and he looked so worried when he asked and everything. I really think he likes you Haley.”
“He probably just wants a simple fuck.”

“Maybe. Come on let’s go.” The two friends walked to the elevator and stepped on.

“Nick, what are you doing here?” asked Melissa.

“Well, okay this sounds stupid, but I forgot to hit the button for the floor so I’m still here. I think I’ve ridden the elevator through the hotel twice now.” Haley tried her best not to laugh. At least he knew it was stupid.

Nick Narrating
Oh fuck. Haley was wearing a maroon short-sleeved shirt that was gathered at the chest and showed about an inch of stomach whenever she reached up. And she just reached up to pull her hair into a messy bun. Shit did I just suck in a breath? She must have heard that. And tight denim shorts. Was she trying to kill me? I was going to have to thank Mother Nature for making it so hot outside.
“Did you ever find Howie?”
“Huh? Oh, uh he showed up back at our hotel a few minutes ago.” Jesus Carter. Pull yourself together. “I’m gonna head back.” Fuck. My hand’s gonna be mighty busy if I don’t get with Haley soon. The elevators dinged at the lobby and we all stepped off. No fans here. That was good or in an hour I’d be part of a sick threesome. I hate all that bullshit. I’m not into that. Well maybe the girl on girl part. I mean damn if Haley wanted another girl there, why deny her the pleasure? I could just picture it… Oh fuck. Should not be picturing those things in public Carter. I am really glad the hotel is only a block away.
End Narration
After killing a couple hours in his hotel room it was time to go down to meet the girls. He was still a little flustered from the elevator, but he had no choice but to go downstairs if he wanted to see Haley again. He made his way down to the meeting room to find that the rest of the guys were already there.
“Hey.” began AJ “The girls should be here soon. We think they should start the promotion in about two months after the cheer season winds down. What about you?”
“So do we give them the money and say see ya in two months or what?”
“Basically.”
Nick Narration
Fuck. Fuck. Fuck. That would be awful! I wouldn’t see Haley for two months! My hand was gonna get tired. Even with groupies at night I had to get through the day. What was I gonna do?
“Although, we should probably see one of their competitions before they do anything for us. Then we’ll understand what they do. We’ll have to ask them when their next competition is.”
Before I could respond Danielle and Haley came in. “Hey guys.” I looked right at Haley. I am so fucking obvious sometimes. She still had the clothes she wore to lunch on and her hair was still up. It looked good up. It’d look better fanned out on my pillow though as she screamed my name. FUCK! I had to stop with that. After the other guys greeted her and I finally got a hold of myself, everyone sat down around the large table. I ended up across from Haley. At least there would be some chances for across the table flirting.
Everything was fine until Kevin had to go get something. I don’t know what though. I was too busy thinking about Haley. Then Haley decided to take her hair down. She leaned back, reached up and pulled out the elastic. She shook it out around her shoulders, and that’s when I lost it. I was fucked. I kept thinking how she would feel pushed up against me and shit like that. By now I was way too worked up to be in public.
Then Kevin came back. Normally Kevin helps with these issues cause well you know it’s not like I want Kevin, but then he asked, “Oh, we meant to ask you when your next competition was.” I had forgotten she was a cheerleader for a minute. That little uniform. Fuck. Why did I want her this bad?
Haley answered, “We have one this weekend on Sunday. That’s the 20th. It’s in New York City.” We were in New York then too. We could go. And she’d be in her uniform. This was going to be interesting.
“We were thinking and we think we should go so we could understand what cheerleading really is. Since we need to go to another meeting now,” we do? “can you come over tomorrow night and work out the details with us. Like when you compete and everything?”
“Well we have practice tomorrow from 6-8, so”
“We do?” Okay so Danielle was like me, never knowing when they had to be where.
“Danielle I just told you that like half an hour ago.”
“I forgot. That’s why you were the valedictorian in high school and not me.” Valedictorian? Are you shitting me? She must be a genius! A really hot genius. Weren’t smart people supposed to be ugly? I guess there were exceptions.
“I wasn’t supposed to be valedictorian Danielle. Dan just failed his last project.”
“Yeah well you didn’t so you’re smarter.”
“Whatever.” Turning back to Kevin she continued, “We rented mats at a cheer gym about an hour away so we’ll be gone for about three or four hours, but I coach the middle school aged kids so I’ll be gone from like 2:30 to 9.” Whoa she coached too? That was hot. Then again she could have said I like purple reindeer and I would have thought it was hot. Hell, I probably would have dressed up like a purple reindeer if it would have gotten her to notice me.
“What other days do you practice?”
“Thursday. 6 to 8:30 then though.”
“Okay. Well we can be free Wednesday night around eight. How’s that?”
“Great. See you then.”