- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
HEY!!!
Sorry everyone, but I won't be updating for about a month or so because I'm on vacation. I forgot to tell you guys I was leaving. There's a slight chance I'll put up one or two more chapters, but I probably won't have time because I'm really busy.

I get home on August 17th. By then I'll have to get ready for school, so I'll update, just not as often as I have been.
CHAPTER 21

NICK NARRATING

“Haley?”

“Yeah?”

“Can I ask you something?”

“Sure.”

“You know that thing that Baylee asked us?”

“Whether or not I was your girlfriend?”

“Yeah. That.”

“What about it?”

“Well, are you?”

“What do you think?”

“I guess, yeah. You are.” Then as an afterthought I added, “unless you don’t want to be.”

“No. I do want to be.”

“Good.” She walked over and I kissed her before she got the chance to say anything else. I was so glad she wanted to be my girlfriend.



“So, you have stuff to do today right?” she asked me.

“Yeah. I’ve got a radio interview later. But that’s not until one.”

“Are you sure?”

“No.”

“You might want to double-check that then.”

“It doesn’t matter.”

“Yes it does. Now call Brian or something.” So, of course I did since she told me to. It’s not like I can so no. It’s just not part of my vocabulary. Brian told me I didn’t need to be anywhere until 12:45. I had a feeling it really was one though and he was just lying.

“It is at one.” I told Haley.

“Okay. What do you want to do until then?”

“You?”

“We can’t have sex for three hours.”

“Why not?”

“Let’s watch TV.”

“Fine.” We sat down on the couch and turned on the TV. We decided to watch something, but I wasn’t really paying any attention to it. I was busy thinking about how much things have changed since I met Haley. Two months ago if you had asked me if I’d ever get married I’d probably have said no. But now, I wasn’t so sure about that. I mean, I wouldn’t get married any time soon, but it didn’t seem so unreasonable anymore.

I guess Haley just made me feel normal and like I could have a normal life. I’d never felt that way before. I didn’t know what to do about it. It was so new to me. I didn’t understand it, but there was nothing I could do to change it.

And every time I looked at her I couldn’t believe how beautiful she was. Her hair, and her eyes and everything. It always made me happy to look at her. I even liked just sitting there next to her while she watched TV. I mean, I even watched Bring it On with her. And I was sober. That was saying something. I couldn’t explain it because I didn’t understand it, but I knew I was going to have to do everything I could to not screw this up. It was going to be hard though. I never cared this much before about anyone.

HALEY NARRATING

So I was his girlfriend. I guess that made it official now. At first that scared me, but the more I think about it the more I start to like it. I knew I was falling way too fast, but I couldn’t help it. The more I tried to stop myself the harder I fell. There was no stopping it, so I finally gave up. Now I could honestly say I was Nick Carter’s girlfriend. Okay, still a little weird.

KEVIN NARRATING

“Kris, what do you think of Haley?”

“I think she’s good for him. And she seems really nice. It didn’t look like she was pretending either.”

“Yeah. I hope it works out between them. Nick just seems so happy with her. I’ve definitely noticed a change in him. Even since the day he met her, but more so after they got together.”

“He does seem very happy.”

“Yeah. He even flew out to her house as soon as he had time off. He surprised her.”

“Really? He doesn’t do that often.”

“He’s never done that.”

“I guess that tells you how he feels about her.”

“Suppose so. I just don’t want him to screw it up.”

“What makes you think he’ll screw this up?” I gave her a look. “Good point. But give him a little credit. Maybe he’s learned.”

“I sure hope so.”

BRIAN NARRATING

“Leigh, what do you think of Haley?”

“I thought she seemed really nice. I think she’ll be good for Nick.”

“Me too. He’s even happier now. I just don’t want him to get hurt.”

“Well, I don’t either, but you can’t always be there telling him what to do. He needs to learn on his own.”

“I know. I just really want him to have someone like her in his life. And everyone seems to like her.”

“I know even Baylee.” Baylee had liked her. He talked about her the whole way home from dinner that night he’d met her.

“She was really nice to him.” I said.

“Yeah. She was.”

“I just want him-”

“I know. But there comes a time when there’s nothing you can do. If it’s meant to be it will work out. If it’s not, maybe he’ll learn from it. Grow from it.”

“But-”

“But nothing. You have to let him do this. I know Haley really likes him too, so at least they’re on the same page.”

“How do you know that Haley likes him too for sure?”

“I saw the way she looks at him.” Damn, women can be very perceptive sometimes.

NICK NARRATING

I got to the interview at exactly one o’clock. Haley did have a thing for people being on time. We started the interview and it was the same old, boring questions. A month ago I would have been annoyed, but these days I was just generally happier. All the things around me seemed better and easier, and I liked that.

Then something occurred to me in the middle of the what will the new album sound like question. Holy shit. I can’t believe it. That couldn’t be right. But it was. I can’t believe it took me this long to realize what was going on.




“FUCK OFF. EVERYONE!” I screamed. Why didn’t they believe me. Maybe I was right. Why did they always tell me what to do. They say they’re all older and they’ve all been there and I was wrong. “I’M TIRED OF ALWAYS BEING WRONG! MAYBE FOR ONCE, I’M THE ONE WHO’S RIGHT.”

“Look Nick,” Howie started.

“NO HOWIE. I’M TIRED OF THAT. WHY DON’T YOU GUYS JUST BELIEVE ME? WHY ARE YOU ALL SO AGAINST THIS?” I was so mad. Why didn’t they agree with me. I told them so they could support me, but instead they told me I was totally crazy.

They didn’t understand. Everyone was different. Maybe this was my time to do what I had to do. “Look,” I said, “I’ll listen to what you guys had to say, but then I’m still going to do what I think is right.” That was a very mature answer. I was proud of myself. I usually didn’t give those.

“Nick,” Brian said, “I understand that you think you have to do this, and if you really think that then I support you, but I don’t think you should do it. It’s a rash decision and I think you need to think about it more.”

“I agree with everything Brian said”. Kevin said. “Maybe you should think about it for a few days and then deal with it.”

“I can’t. I can’t wait anymore. It’s the only answer.” I said.

“NO!” AJ and Howie were screaming. What? Howie didn’t yell.

“Nick, don’t do this!!!!!!” Maybe he did yell a little.

Then AJ stated his opinion. “Just wait man. Don’t do it yet. It’ll just end bad.” I walked out and headed for my hotel. Why didn’t they ever think that maybe I was right? Why didn’t they trust me? They always thought I was wrong immediately before even considering what it was like for me. I mean, why couldn’t they just support me?

By the time I reached the room I was furious. I stormed in the room and flopped myself on the bed.

HALEY NARRATING

“What’s wrong?” He never acted this way. Something was wrong. He had been fine when he’d left, so I knew it had to be something the guys said.

“Nothing.” He was lying. It was so obvious. He was a horrible liar.

“I know something’s wrong so just tell me.”

“I don’t want to talk about it.”

“Okay fine.” Be that way. Be in a horrible mood all night. See if I care.

“You know,” he said. I guess he did want to talk about it. “they don’t trust me. They never believe in me. I just wanted their support, but they won’t give it to me.” He had to mean the other four guys right? Why would he care what any other ‘they’ thought?

“What did you want the other guys to support you in?”

“I told them I wanted to say that- Never mind it’s stupid.” He was being obstinate.

“What? Tell me.”

“I already said it’s stupid. Now I don’t want to talk about it!!!” He was really pissy today wasn’t he?

“It can’t be that stupid. Just tell me.”

“NO!”

“WHY NOT?”

”BECAUSE.”

“WHY? WHAT WAS IT?!!”

“WHY DO YOU CARE?”

“BECAUSE IT WAS OBVIOULSY IMPORTANT TO YOU SO I WAS TRYING TO HELP YOU! SORRY I’LL NEVER DO IT AGAIN!!” Great, so now we were fighting. You know how some people think the first fight thing is sweet blah blah blah? Yeah, well I think it sucks. “JUST TELL ME WHAT IT WAS!!!!!” Why won’t he tell me?

“FINE!”

“WELL, WHAT WAS IT?”

“It was, nothing never mind.”

“TELL ME! HOW HARD COULD IT BE?”

“PRETTY HARD.”

“WHAT THE HELL WAS IT?”

“THAT I LOVE YOU.”

Nick Narrating

“What?” Shit. Why did I say that? The other guys were right. I never should have said it. It was way too soon. Why did I do it? And why wasn’t she saying anything back?

I didn’t know what to do. I hadn’t planned to say it that way, so I just walked over and kissed her. She was kissing me back. That was good right? That had to mean she didn’t hate me right? She wasn’t going to leave right? I didn’t know what I would do if she left me. I mean I loved her.

I pulled back from the kiss. I looked right into her eyes. “I love you.” I said again.

“I love you too.” I had never been happier to hear anyone say that to me ever. I probably had the world’s dumbest smile on my face, but I didn’t care. I kissed her again, deeper than I ever had before. I couldn’t believe everything had worked out. I had been right. The guys were wrong.

And I loved my girlfriend. I loved her more than I knew you could love someone. And it scared the hell out of me. But I didn’t care. I loved her, and she loved me.