- Text Size +
CHAPTER 22

NICK NARRATING

I wasn’t in a very good mood because Haley was in Massachusetts and I was still in California. We weren’t going to be back in Massachusetts for another three days. I wouldn’t see her for another three days. So you could say I was going completely crazy. I didn’t know what to do with myself. I hated that whenever I’d call her she’d have to be somewhere or whenever she called me (which wasn’t that often because she’s not completely dependent on me like I am with her) I had to be somewhere.

We had plans to meet each other in Massachusetts, but that was three days from now. I was fucking flipping out. I had no idea what to do with my free time. The past month or so I’d just spent every second of my free time with Haley. Now that was gone. What was I supposed to do?

I guess I could call one of the guys and see when we have to be wherever the fuck we needed to be. Nah. That would just involve working. I really wasn’t in the mood for that at all. I’d rather just sit in my room and feel sorry for myself. I was good at that.

HALEY NARRATING

I was at work. I hated work. I had really gotten used to just screwing around all day in California with Nick. Yesterday I had been with Nick and today I was at fucking work. That sucked. I so did not want to work. I would totally rather be with Nick. I was going crazy. And since last season was over, and the new season hadn’t really gotten started yet there wasn’t much to do at the gym. And my team didn’t even start practicing until September. I’d always hated starting practice so late. I never really understood it either.

Maybe I could leave early. There wasn’t much to do. Yeah. I was totally leaving early today. Then maybe I could just go home and sleep. I hadn’t really gotten that much sleep in California, so that actually sounded good.


NICK NARRATING

The next day I waltzed into an interview and basically acted like nothing new had happened. Or so I thought.

“So what’s going on?” Kevin asked. Damn, I really did suck at hiding things didn’t I? Haley had been right about that. I cannot hide a damn thing.

“Nothing.” I said.

“We don’t have time for you to be lying so please hurry up and tell us what happened.”

“Nothing happened. Nothing’s new and I told Haley I loved her and she said it back so you were all wrong and I was right so fuck you all and you should have trusted me.” That felt really good to shove in their faces. I really enjoyed that. Probably a little more than I should have, but oh well. Now they were all just sitting there staring at me. Apparently I just spoke Chinese or something because none of them seemed capable of wrapping their heads around the idea that I had been right. I’ll give them that it doesn’t happen very often, but it did this time.

“So,” Kevin said, “you told Haley you loved her?”

“Yes.” Now they were getting it. Then they kept staring at me for like ten full minutes. It was starting to really get annoying. “Get there faster!”

“So you love her and she loves you.”

“Yes.” All four of them busted into smiles. They must just like sit at home and talk about me with whoever would listen. Didn’t they have anything better to do? I was 25 I could take care of myself. Well, Haley could take care of me.

“Congratulations man.” Kevin said. “I’m happy for you.”

“Me too.” AJ said “I wouldn’t have said anything so soon, but obviously you were right, so I’m just happy for you.”

“So am I.” Brian said. “You really deserve this.”

“Yeah.” Howie said. “You really do. It’s about time you were happy again. Is whiny Nicky gonna go away now?”

“No.” I said. “Then what would I do for fun?”

“You’re always gonna be whining aren’t you?”

“Yes I am.”



HALEY NARRATING

I got off the plane and didn’t even bother going to my apartment. I just went straight to Melissa’s and then called Danielle and Jen so I could tell everyone at the same time. Eventually everyone got to Mel’s house and I started with my story.

“You all know how I went to California right?”

“Of course. Hurry up.” Danielle never had been the patient one had she?

“Well, I was there for about,”

“Dammit Haley, we know how long you were there now shut up and tell us what the fuck happened. I need to know if there’s anyone I need to beat up. I mean, if I have to fly to California, then I have to go book a flight.”

“No. You don’t have to beat anyone up Danielle. And you shut up and let me tell you the story at my own pace.”

“Fine. Now what happened?”

“Okay. Well, Nick told me he loved me.”

Then there were about ten minutes of blank stares then everyone started screaming questions at me.

“DID YOU SAY IT BACK?”

“BUT YOU’VE ONLY BEEN GOING OUT FOR LIKE THREE WEEKS!”

“HOW DID HE SAY IT?”

“EVERBODY STOP!!!!” I screamed. “First of all, I know it’s fast, and yes, I did say it back.” Then they all jumped up and started hugging me and screaming and jumping around the room.

“Wait.” Jen said. “How did he say it?”

“Well, he went to some interview and then when he came back in a really bad mood because he had told the other four guys that he wanted to tell me that he loved me, but they all told him not to because it was so soon and everything. And he was really upset that they didn’t trust him so I asked him what was wrong and he kept saying nothing.”

“Hurry up!”

“Okay. Well, we got into a huge fight about what he wanted to say and he kept saying nothing and it was just stupid. But obviously by then I had to know what it was so I wouldn’t let it go and then he screamed that he loved me.”

Then everyone jumped up and down again. They kept jumping up and down too for at least fifteen minutes.



BRIAN NARRATING

I was so happy for Nick. And Haley wasn’t a bitch, so that was obviously a plus. We all actually approved, which really never happened. And Baylee liked her. Now that she was going to be around for a while I’m sure Baylee’s going to have a lot of stories to tell her. He always seemed to have a story to tell.

“Leigh, guess what!” I screamed into the phone as soon as Nick left.

“What?”

“Nick told Haley he loved her and she said it back. They’re in love! And she’s not a bitch!”

“Oh, that’s so good. Is he happy?”

“Thrilled.”

“Good. And I’m going to ignore the fact that you’re practically happier over this than you were when we got married.”

“Leigh-”

“I’m just kidding. You tell him that I said congratulations okay?”

“Sure.” I was so happy. It was pathetic. I shouldn’t be this happy about something that didn’t even happen to me. Truth was, I was so happy for Nick it seemed like it did happen to me. I guess I knew that if he wasn’t happy then he would just keep whining. And we all liked Haley. She seemed to really balance him out. Like he was kinda dumb sometimes, and Haley was freakishly smart. And Nick acted like he was two and Haley actually acted like she had made it past her fifth birthday. Yeah, she was definitely good for him. I think she’s better for him than any of his other girlfriends before her. That kinda made me feel really old.

HALEY NARRATING

I was still talking with my friends when I got a call on my cell phone. I didn’t recognize the number, but I answered it anyway.

“Haley? It’s Kevin.”

“Hi. What’s up?”

“Well, normally I don’t like to meddle, but I just wanted to say that if you and Nick end up breaking up, not that I think you will, well, and not that I think you won’t, I’m just say if you were to break up whether it be tomorrow or fifty years from now-”

“Kevin.”

“Just, if you say anything incorrect or that you made up-”

“Well, I don’t plan on doing that.”

“I know. And I wouldn’t expect you to, but after everything that’s happened I just always like to take extra precautions to avoid him going through what he went through before.”

“I understand. But you don’t have to worry about me. I won’t make anything up for publicity. I promise. And if I do you can sue me or whatever you want.”

“Okay. Now, I also wanted to say congratulations.”

MEANWHILE…NICK NARRATING

I got a call on my cell phone at about the same time that Kevin stepped away to call Kristin. I didn’t recognize the number, but last time I had answered an unfamiliar number it had been Haley and that had actually worked out, so I answered.

“Hello?” I said.

“Hi. It’s Danielle.”

“Hi.”

“Now, I know I threatened you and everything before you went on your first date, but I’m going to do it again because I didn’t really expect this to go anywhere, but obviously it did, so I have more to say.”

“Okay.”

“Basically if you make her cry for any reason other than how sweet and perfect you are I will hurt you. And like I said before it will physically hurt. Sound good?”

“Well, I’m not going to hurt her.” I was determined not to. “I love her, and I’ll do whatever I can to make her happy.”

“Okay, I’m going to test you on that.”

“How?”

“Well, say Haley asked you to quit the group would you do it?”

“Well,” shit. Of course I wouldn’t. But that would be failing the test. But I couldn’t lie or apparently I’d be shot. “No. I wouldn’t. I wouldn’t throw that away no matter who wanted me to unless I agreed with their reasons.” There. At least there was a loop hole.

“Good answer. Haley would never let you quit anyway. If she could have it her way you guys would be making music when you’re eighty. Next question. Say you guys had a huge fight and you still didn’t think you were wrong, but it’s obvious Haley’s not going to apologize. What do you do?”

Fuck. I don’t know. This was a hard test. I was never good at tests either. “Well, honestly I don’t know. If it was something stupid I’d probably just apologize, but if it was something that really mattered to me, I’d probably wait until we came to an agreement. But it would just depend on what the fight was about.”

“That’s respectable. Now, last thing. Say you two were to get married. Not that you have to or anything, just hypothetically, and Haley wanted to have a huge wedding. But she wanted you to pay for it. Would you?”

“Well, yeah. If it would make her happy. I mean, I could afford it so why not?”

“Well, I’d have to call you one whipped motherfucker if you did that, but she wouldn’t make you do that anyway and you passed the test, but you better really love her.”

“I do. I really, really do.”

“Oh, that’s so sweet! I have to say I didn’t expect you two to fall in love. I mean sure I expected you to hook up, but not to fall in love. This is so cool!” She sounded more excited than Haley did. I didn’t really know if that was good or bad.

“Well, I didn’t expect it either. But I have to go now. I’m going to call Haley when I’m done here.”

“Well, unless it’s about six hours from now, me, Jen, and Melissa will still be here freaking out.”

That I believed. “Okay. Bye.”

Wow. That was um, interesting. Everything I said was true though. I really was going to have to really try and not fuck this up. But I kinda knew I probably would. I fucked everything else up. It was only a matter of time. NO! Stop it Carter. Be positive. Just don’t sleep with some random girl or anything and it’ll all work out. I hope.