- Text Size +
CHAPTER 23

NICK NARRATING

I had never been happier to get off a plane in Massachusetts in my life. I had seriously been going crazy those last three days when Haley was back in Massachusetts and I was still in California. I didn’t even bother going to our hotel. I just went straight to Haley’s apartment. It was so much easier to find her apartment after I actually knew where she lived. Last time I had come I had had no idea where I was going and to top it off I had been terrified at what she was going to do.

I flew up the stairs to her floor and knocked on the door. I had done that last time too; it was just a lot harder with luggage. She opened the door after I knocked one time. I dropped my bags when she opened the door. What a dumbfuck am I? I just fucking dropped all my luggage because I thought she was so hot. So of course I kissed her before she could make fun of me. I slammed the door behind me and left all my bags outside. Probably not the smartest thing, but I was too preoccupied with sticking my tongue down my hot girlfriend’s throat to care about my luggage.

“I missed you.” I said.

“I missed you too.”

“I love you.” I should probably think of some other things to say huh? Oh well. Kissing works just as well. So obviously that’s what I did.

“I love you too.” That was still good to hear. So I kissed her again. But you probably could have guessed that because that was my usual course of action.

“Can we go into the bedroom now?”

“No.”

“What why not?”

“Because there are no sheets on my bed.”

“Why? How do you sleep without sheets?”

“I don’t. I put them on again before I go to bed. But I’m washing them now. Well, Jen is. I usually make her do my laundry.” I didn’t exactly hide my disappointment I guess. “I never said we couldn’t use the couch.”

I smiled like an idiot. I did a lot of that when I was around her. Love made me look like an asshole didn’t it? Oh well. We could blame Haley for that then.





“Hurry up.” She said.

“Why?”

“Because we have the meeting in half an hour.”

“What meeting?”

“The meeting about what promotion we have to do for you guys.”

“I forgot you guys had to do that.”

“So did I. Until Melissa told me about it again this morning. Now hurry up. We can’t be late.”

“Fine.” I hated having meetings. And I hated work. I would so rather just stay here with Haley at her house. I loved her house. I never really spent time in places like this. But I loved it. “Haley?”

“Yeah?”

“You know they’re gonna ask about us right?”

“Yeah. That one I kind of figured out on my own.”

“So what are we gonna tell them?”

“I don’t know. I personally don’t really care. I don’t exactly have much experience in dating celebrities.”

“Right. Well, we can either keep it a secret, tell people, or just wait until they all find out for themselves.”

“Let’s go with the last option. It seems to make the most sense.”

“Okay.” At least that was cleared up. Last time we hadn’t talked about that the two year old totally called us on it.



We walked into the meeting ready to deal with all the promotion bullshit that I hated doing. Maybe the girls could dress up like us and do it all for us. No, that wouldn’t work. What if Haley dressed up as like Kevin, and then I kissed her and someone got a picture. That might just send the wrong message. And I wouldn’t want to kiss anyone dressed up like Kevin anyway. That’s just plain wrong.

Once everyone was sitting down Shauna started explaining what everyone would have to do. As usual I tuned it out. Only now I could ask Kevin OR Haley where I needed to be. I didn’t pay attention to the first forty minutes of the meeting. And Shauna didn’t say much to me because, well, let’s just say things had been a little awkward ever since the bus incident. She must have just thought I was so good and now she was jealous of Haley. Poor Shauna.

HALEY NARRATING

Their publicist had a lot to say. Except to Nick. It seemed to me that Nick had slept with her. It wouldn’t surprise me. But anyway, apparently only five members from our team would be doing promotion. Obviously that would be me, Danielle, Jen, Melissa, and Jess. Good. Now I got to spend even more time with her. That was just my ideal way to spend time.

Basically we’d be doing mostly radio interviews and a few interviews with magazines. Nothing really interesting happened at the meeting until we were about to leave. Then Shauna had one more thing to say.

“Just so you know, pretty much everyone knows about Haley and Nick because people got pictures of them on a date, getting out of a limo, and of Nick going to a bunch of stores with her.”

I didn’t really know if that was bad or good. Either way, I guess it doesn’t matter.

NICK NARRATING

Shit. That probably wasn’t good. I bet Haley was mad. I wouldn’t like that if I were her. She’s going to hate me after this. We left the meeting and I’d tell you what happened, but I wasn’t paying attention, so I can’t.

Me and Haley got into her car and drove back to her apartment. “I’m really sorry people found out so soon.” I said.

“It’s okay. It’s not like they were never going to find out. We couldn’t keep it a secret forever. But I do want to go home and go to a few websites…”

What? Websites?


HALEY NARRATING

Perfect. The first message board itself had eight threads about Nick’s New Girlfriend, and two about Nick’s New Whore.

“Hey Nick, I’m your new whore!!!”

“What?”

“That’s what the message boards are calling me. I’m your new whore.”

“Look Haley, don’t take that personally-”

“No, this is probably the thing I was looking forward to the most. I love reading all this.”

“So instead of looking forward to having a new, healthy relationship or something you were looking forward to reading what the obsessive fans write about you?”

“Pretty much yeah.” On the next message board there were more phrases. “Nick, on this site I’m your fuck of the week!” This was fun.

“Really?”

“Yeah. And in another thread I’m your next Paris! This is fun. You should come read this with me.”

“Is that seriously your only form of entertainment?”

“No. It’s just the best one at the moment.”

“I could give you another form right now.”

“Not yet. I have two more sites to go to and then you can entertain me.”

“Fine.” He said as he walked in to read what the websites said. “Our fans are nuts.”

“If you’re just figuring that out now you really need to get your head checked or something. They’ve been this crazy for about eight years. At least.”

“I try not to think about it. It kinda scares the crap out of me to think about it.”

“That I can understand. It would probably scare me too.” That really would suck. I wouldn’t want people naming my boobs like they named Nick’s dick. That would kinda freak me out. I guess he had a point.

I went to three more websites (and yes I did have to search for them. I’m not quite as obsessive as Danielle thinks I am.) before I found what I was looking for. Thirty-two threads about Nick’s new girlfriend (or blond whore, fuck of week/day/month, publicity whore, and my favorite, the Paris of 2005.)

I kinda felt bad because Nick was cringing as he read every word, but I just thought it was really funny. And I mean really, really funny. I was trying not to roll on the floor.

NICK NARRATING

Our fans were scary. They didn’t even know Haley and they were calling her all these cruel names. It wasn’t fair to her or me. I just wished they weren’t so mean. I was afraid that Haley was going to get all freaked out. She might not be freaked out now, but in three months or something the fans might get to her. I didn’t want that to happen.

Why was she laughing. This wasn’t funny. She had four death threats. Weren’t death threats supposed to be taken seriously? I guess not when they came through the Internet from thirteen year old girls jealous of you because you were a Backstreet Boy’s girlfriend. At least she wasn’t freaking out. This was better than her being terrified and leaving me. That would suck.

We read through another three websites and then opened a thread entitled Nick’s New Slut. People really weren’t that creative with their thread titles were they? If you have enough time to post on one of these sites you should have enough time to be creative. Anyway, we read through it, and it was probably the meanest one we’ve read so far.

It basically covered all the bases. New whore, new Paris, everything. Except it was all a lot meaner than the other ones. Every time someone would defend her, this same girl would jump in and bitch Haley out again. I really hoped Haley wouldn’t freak out. She seemed okay so far. But you never know.

She seemed to really be getting really pissed off. I didn’t understand it. Throughout the rest of the websites she had been fine. Even though this particular girl was really mean and bitchy about everything it shouldn’t make her this much madder than the other ones had. Maybe a little, but not this much.

Before I knew what was going on Haley had the phone in her hand and dialed. Her hands flew over the numbers without even looking at them.

HALEY NARRATING

What a bitch. I mean, it was kind of funny, but it was still bitchy.

“Dammit Danielle, why would you do that?”

“Do what?”

“Don’t fucking play innocent Danielle.” Maybe it was a little bit funny.

“Fine. I thought it would be funny.”

“It’s not.”

“Don’t lie. Why would a lying, cheating, bed hopping whore lie?”

“Fine. It’s a little funny.”

“I know.”

“But why did you do that?”

“I said it before, and I’ll say it again. I thought it would be really funny.” As she was saying that Nick ripped the phone out of my hand.

NICK NARRATING

“Why the fuck would you do that? Isn’t Haley like, your best friend?”

“Of course.”

“Then why would you say all those mean things about her?”

“Because I thought it would be funny. Am I going to have to recap the entire conversation I had with Haley with you?”

“It’s not funny. It’s mean. And it got everyone else on that site all riled up and everyone on there’s against Haley now.”

“So what? Someone had to do it. If it wasn’t me it just would have been someone else.”

“But it was still mean. And what if Haley hadn’t figured out that it was you? How did you do that by the way?” I said to Haley.

“Look at the name of the person who wrote it.” She said. “Dancegirl 415. It was pretty obvious.”

“See,” Danielle said, “I made sure she’d be able to figure it out.”

“But still.”

“Look, it’ll make you feel better I’ll go on and say that I met her and that she’s really nice.”

“Good. You better go do it now.”

“Fine. But I have to say that I’m glad you’re so protective. That’s good to see.”

“Okay.”

“You take care of her. I’m going to hang up now and let you go feel manly or something.”

“How do you know about that?”

“Girls tell each other pretty much everything.”

“Oh.”

“Bye.”

“Bye.” I guess I should have guessed that.

“Danielle’s going to go online and say that she met you and that you’re actually nice.”

“She doesn’t have to do that. I don’t care what people say about me. Especially on the Internet.”

“I know. But I do care.”

“Why?”

“Because I love you.”