- Text Size +
CHAPTER 3

Haley Narrating

“Haley did you see that?” Danielle asked her after they left.

“What?”

“How Nick kept looking at you during the meeting? I think he likes you.”

“Don’t be stupid Danielle.”

“I’m not. I’m telling the truth.”

“He wasn’t looking at me and he doesn’t like me.” Does he? No that was stupid. He would never like me.

“Fine Haley. You obviously don’t wanna hear what I’m saying anyway.”


Nick Narrating

“Shannon, when you do your heel stretch you have to pull up more. Then you’ll be able to twist sooner.” Damn. She was even hot coaching. She must be really into it. She didn’t even know I was there. Then again I never told her I was coming or anything. I hope she wasn’t mad. No one would recognize me. I had a hat on and everything. I was just bored so I came to see her coach. The practice was almost over and soon hers would be starting. That I wanted to see. She was only in a t-shirt and shorts but she was still unbelievably sexy. “Okay. Go get water.”

She walked onto the mat and started throwing random tumbling. It was awesome. She just threw herself over and didn’t even use her hands. And she got like eight feet off the ground. I heard someone say something to her, but I was too far away to hear what it was. Next thing I knew she threw herself over again, but this time her legs were straighter and she twisted sideways and shit. But she landed on her hands and knees. Oh, she was not happy. “I haven’t landed that once in the last two weeks! I want it in the routine. We’ll get killed at this next competition without standing fulls.”

Then she walked to the far corner of the mat and ran about three steps. Then she started flipping. I don’t even know what she did because she did it so fast. But she landed the twisting thingy that time. “I didn’t throw my double. I barely landed that in competition.”
Her double? Are you fucking kidding me? She does that twisting thing twice before she lands? And she doesn’t die? Damn. Then she went back to the far corner and did the tumbling pass again only this time at the end she twisted twice. Damn.

Then the younger kids came back on the mat. “Okay, get in the opening formation. We have time to do this like one more time before you leave. So don’t fall. And do the dance right this time. Come on, you guys compete this weekend.” Someone started some music and a bunch of the kids did flips and there were three tosses in the back that twisted twice around. The routine was pretty good. They fell a few times, but they were probably tired. “Okay girls, not bad. I’ll see you next practice.”

Everyone left the mat and went to grab their things before they left. She headed towards a back room and I just sat on one of the chairs and waited for her practice to start. Once it did I was transfixed. She was the most flexible one on the team. She could put her leg around her head and straighten it and everything. That put some interesting thoughts in my head. And the girls holding her up were Danielle, Melissa, and Jen. Jess was just doing random flips. She pretty much sucked at everything else. About half an hour before the practice was over I left so she wouldn’t know I had been there. For some reason, I wanted to keep it a secret.

End Narration

By the time the girls got back to their hotel it was about 9:30. “Hey, you wanna come to my room and watch a movie or something?” Jen asked.

“Sure. Got nothing else to do.” replied Danielle. Once Melissa and Haley agreed they were all heading to Jen’s room to watch a movie. They chose an old movie they all had already seen and loved, and had a great time together. Jen had noticed Nick at their practice during one of their water breaks. That was why she had invited them to a movie. She didn’t want Haley alone thinking about anything like that. She thought Haley probably liked him, but knew it wouldn’t be smart to do anything about it. But from what Danielle had told her, she wondered if Nick liked Haley too.

Nick Narrating

I was lying on my bed in my hotel room when my cell phone rang. “Fuck,” I muttered. It was a number I didn’t recognize. “Hello?”

“Hi it’s Danielle.”

“Um hi.” Why was she calling me? And how did she have my number. Oh, someone probably gave it to her at the first meeting we had where I was too busy trying to keep my dick in my pants to hear anything.

I heard some odd noise in the background and someone yelling at Danielle to give her the phone. Finally someone else had it. “Hello?” Oh fuck me! It was Haley. There were four of them in there and Danielle had to use Haley’s phone? Well at least I had her number now.

“Hi. What’s up?” Oh that’s original Carter.
“Well I was trying to go on the computer to talk to my sister, but Danielle’s drunk dialing and won’t let anyone do anything.”

“How drunk is she?”

“Um, well I guess you could describe it as completely wasted.” I laughed. So did she. Damn. Then in the background I heard Danielle, “I swear to drunk I’m not God.”

Now Haley was dying laughing. I don’t know what Danielle was doing. I just hoped she would keep doing it so Haley would keep laughing. After a short conversation I heard her tell the girls she was going back to her room. Why didn’t she hang up? I didn’t want her to, but it didn’t make sense. I heard a door close and the background noise became quieter.

“Okay. That’s better.”

“Definitely.” I was nervous. I felt like I had never talked to a girl before. What a loser.

“So uh, what’s up?”

Me. “Not much.”

“You doing anything?”

I wish I were doing you. Does that count? “I’m on the computer.” I wasn’t but I couldn’t tell her I had been lying here trying to think of ways to get her in my bed. “Hey you said you were gonna go on the computer. What’s your screen name?” She hesitated. Damn. “Come on.”

“It’s cheergirl415.”

“Cool.” I added her to my buddy list. I didn’t have many people on it, but I dragged her name to the top of the list anyway.

“I gave you mine, now you have to give me yours.”

“I don’t know it.”

“What?”

Oh real smart Carter. Don’t look it up or anything. “Well, it’s got a bunch of numbers and everything and I can never remember it cause I always have to change it. I’ll just IM you.”

“Okay, well, we don’t really need to be on the phone and online do we?”

“No. Guess not.”

“I’ll hang up.”

“K. Bye.”

“Bye.”


Nick: hey its nick
Haley: hey
N: I got a question
H: what
N: what does the 415 stand for?
H: my birthday April 15th
N: cool

Remember that Carter

N: I have another question but you gotta promise to answer
H: no
N: you gotta. Its not that bad
H: maybe. What?
N: were you a Backstreet fan before you won?
H: yeah
Now’s your chance to seem confidant Carter.
N: did you think I was hot
Like she’s going to answer that.
H: yeah
Shit she said yes!!!

Haley Narrating

Shit I said yes.
H: why?
N: cause I thought you were hot when I saw you
Oh. I was going to have to play that up a little. Just for fun.
H: thought?
N: ur still hot
H: that’s better
N: did you have a good practice?
He remembered?
H: yeah
N: that’s good
N: can I ask u some stuff about u?
H: sure
N: how old r u
H: 23
N: k. what’s ur family like?
H: I have 1 sister named Alex who’s 27. she’s engaged. And a brother named Jeff who’s 30 and married with a 2 year old daughter
N: who’s he married to?
H: she’s a lawyer named Kendra
N: how long have you been cheering?
H: since I was 9, so 14 years
N: wow
H: I didn’t start all-stars until I was 15 though
N: still that’s a long time
N: you practiced like that and you were valedictorian?
H: yea
H: I wasn’t supposed to be valedictorian though
I hated talking about being valedictorian. It made me feel like a freak.
N: how long have you known Jess, Danielle, Melissa, and Jen?
H: I met Jess 3 years ago but I’ve been cheering with Danielle, Melissa, and Jen since I was 12
N: are they your age?
H: Danielle, Jen, and Melissa are a year older, and Jess is two years younger than me
N: ok
H: and if u think she’ll grow out of being a whore she won’t. She was born that way.
N: ok good to know
N: where did u go to college?
H: I went to Penn State for business
N: cool
N: do u have a boyfriend?
H: not anymore
Holy shit it’s 2:00 AM
H: it’s 2
H: I should probably go to bed
N: K see you tomorrow
H: Bye

Nick Narrating

Damn. At least she thought I was hot. Then you told her you thought she was hot too. That might not have been smart. Is anything I ever do smart?



Haley Narrating

I woke up and when I looked at the clock it said 9:15 am. I never woke up this early. But I wasn’t at all tired so I got up anyway. I called Jen cause she always woke up at the ass crack of dawn. Maybe there would be something we could do together.

“Hello?”

“Hey it’s Haley.”

“You’re up?”

“Yeah. I couldn’t go back to sleep. Wanna do something?”

“Sure. Shopping?”

“Where?”

“There’s a mall like ten minutes away. I even know how to get there.”

“Sounds good. I’ll meet you in the lobby at 10?”

“Yeah. Bye.”

“Bye.” I got off the bed and went to the hotel phone to order room service. I ordered a bagel since I wasn’t really hungry. Then I went to the bathroom to get ready. I brushed my teeth and showered. Then I threw on a pair of jeans since it was supposed to be colder today and a tank top. I pulled on a shirt over the tank top that buttoned at the top on and left it unbuttoned. A couple minutes later room service was here, and I quickly ate my breakfast since it was already 9:55. After I was done I made my way down to the lobby where Jen was already waiting for me.

“Haley. It’s about time. Come on. There’s a sale and if we get there before 11 we get 15% off all make-up from Macy’s.” Less than 10 minutes later we were there. Obviously we went to Macy’s first and started looking through the make-up. I chose some lip gloss and a purple eye shadow. A few hours later we headed to some clothes stores just for fun. I found a light pink shirt that had three white and blue butterflies on it and a new bathing suit. It was white bikini with a ton of bright flowers all over it. Jen found a bathing suit that was pink with blue and white stripes that looked really good on her. We had a lot of fun, but once 2:00 rolled around we were both really hungry.

“Let’s go to the food court. I think there’s a chicken place there.”

“Great. Let’s go.” After a little more shopping we decided to head back. It was about 6:00 by the time we got back to the hotel since I got us lost. Hey, I’m from a tiny town in Massachusetts. There’s only like 4 roads there. I’m not used to the city.

We met up with Melissa and Danielle to get dinner. We decided we would just go to Chili’s since it was only a few blocks away from the hotel. I didn’t feel like going since I just got back, but if I hadn’t gotten us lost we would have been here sooner. Life’s a bitch isn’t it.

Nick Narrating

I was bored. We had two hours before the meeting and I had nothing to do. Brian was busy with his family and everyone else just seemed to have something to do. While I was feeling sorry for myself I heard my phone ring.

“Hello?”

“Hey Nick. It’s Howie.” No shit. I’ve only been in your band for 12 years, but I can’t recognize your voice. Especially since we chose a profession where we never use our voices.

“Hey. What’s up?”

“We want to change the meeting with the girls to 7 because Kristin got an earlier flight and Kevin’s been uh, lonely. We’re gonna get the girls’ numbers from the forms or something.”

“Okay. No problem. But, uh I have Haley’s number.”

“How?”

“Danielle was using Haley’s phone last night. She was drunk dialing and called me. I stored it figuring we might need it.” Okay so I put it as number 3 on speed dial. I wasn’t obsessed or anything. 1 was my voicemail, which was pointless since I forgot my password and 2 was Brian.

“Great. Could you give her a call for us and ask if they can come at 7?”

“Sure.”

“Okay. I’ll assume the meeting’s at 7 if you don’t call.”

“K. Bye.”

“Bye Nick.”

I called Haley’s number. “Hello?”

“Hi. It’s Nick.

“Hi.”

“We were wondering if you could change the meeting to 7 instead of 8 because Kevin’s wife just got here, and he’s uh, been a little lonely.” She laughed. Fuck.

“Yeah, we’ll come at 7.”

“K. See you then.”

“Bye.” Shit that was an hour away. I practically ran to the shower. The shower took a little longer than expected because of um, some stuff. When I got out I put on a dark blue shirt with jeans and ran down to the meeting considering I was already 10 minutes late. Everyone else was already there. Oh well.

“Nice of you to join us Nick.” Kevin started.

“Let’s get on with this shall we?” Fuck Haley was hot today. Her hair was down. And she had really sexy jeans on. Fuck, was it hot in here, or was it just me? Okay considering the fact that Haley took off the shirt she had on over her tank top it was hot. Damn. She should not do that. Did she know what she was doing to me? She gave me a look. Yeah, she did know what she was doing to me. Well, two could play that game. I walked over and stood next to Haley.

Haley Narrating

That bastard just came over here. Maybe I shouldn’t have taken my shirt off. It was hot in here though. Now he was just fucking with me. He kept leaning over the table and shit. Fine. Then I “dropped” my pen and bent down to grab it. Yeah, that was fun. Then he gave up. Well besides the fuck me eyes and that cocky smirk. And the fucker had his hair spiky. This was going to be a long meeting. Then AJ’s voice snapped me back to reality.

“Okay, so what are the details on the competition?”

“Well, it’s in New York City. You can meet my brother Jeff, his wife Kendra, and my sister Alex, and probably her fiancé Matt at our hotel. They flew in for the competition. We don’t compete until 6:25, but you should get there around 5 so you can get tickets and everything. There’s eight different halls and I think like 900 teams, so it will be crowded. Jeff and Alex will show you around and everything. Just don’t get separated cause it’s a huge place. Oh, and don’t get recognized. If there’s 900 teams and there’s about 30 people on each team, plus spectators, if you get recognized, well you’re fucked.”

“Okay, so how about we meet your brother and sister around 4:30 in your hotel and then go to the competition?”

“That would work. But one more thing. The first five rows are priority seating, which is reserved for friends and family of the people competing. The people move in and out after each team, and it’s actually really organized at this competition. We’ve been there before. And you might wanna wear light blue, black, or white since those are our colors and that might make it easier to get into the priority seating, although you’d probably be able to anyway.”

“Okay, well, I guess that’s everything. We’ll see you ladies Sunday then,” said Kevin.

“Wait,” Howie started. “Nick, AJ, and I are going to go swimming later at like 9 at the hotel pool. You wanna join us?” I guess Howie’s the ladies man of the group. Or at least he tried to be. I think Nick and AJ had a little more um, experience there.

Danielle was the first one to answer. “Sure, I’ll come.”

“I will too.” I answered. Fuck! Nick was going to be there? In a pool? Damn. Probably should have thought of that before I answered.

Melissa and Jen decided to stay at the hotel instead. I didn’t know why, but when I got back to my hotel I looked around for Jess. When I finally found her I asked her to come swimming with us. Once she heard AJ was going to be there she agreed to come. Whore. I told her to meet us in the lobby at 8:30 so we could head over. I put my hair up into a ponytail and put on my new bathing suit. It looked really good. Then I threw on a t-shirt and shorts over it so I wasn’t walking around New York in a bathing suit. Jess could take care of that. At exactly 8:30 we left the hotel. When we got inside their hotel we followed the signs to the pool. Nick, AJ, and Howie were already there, but they got out of the pool to come see us. We were the only ones there. They probably had the pool closed for everyone but us. That might be dangerous with Nick in a pool and me right here. We just had to hope we were never left alone.