- Text Size +
CHAPTER 5

Haley Narrating

I heard my cell phone ring around 4:00 while I was eating lunch. I probably should have gotten up before 1 so I wasn’t having lunch at 4:00 in the afternoon, but whatever. “Hello?”

“Hi. It’s Nick.”

“Hi. What’s up?”

“Uh, I was wondering if you and Danielle, Melissa, and Jen want to come to our show tonight at Irving Plaza. We could get you four passes so you could go basically anywhere.”

“Sure. That sounds fun. When should we get there?”

“Uh, we go on at 9, but we sound check at 6. So, if you want to catch us before sound check to get your passes then you should probably get there around 5:30.”

“Okay. Great.”

“Cool. So, um, I’ll see you then.”

“Okay.” The first thing I did was call Danielle. I told her all the information and made her call everyone else. We had to meet in the lobby in less than an hour. I had to get ready. Once I got back to my room I changed into my favorite jeans and a white sparkly shirt. I put my make-up on and went down to the lobby. We left at 5:00 and headed to the show. We got our passes and went to the backstage area. It was 5:45, so they had 15 minutes until sound check.

“Hey. You came!” Nick said. He seemed really bored. I couldn’t even find the other guys.

“Yeah.”

“Well, we don’t sound check for another 15 minutes, so I guess you can just hang around until then. And that’s exactly what we did. At six we headed to where the audience would be. We watched them go through sound check. It was great to see them performing again. You could tell they were happy to be back.

They did do a few new songs that were really good. I couldn’t wait to see how the fans would react.


Nick Narrating

Okay. We had to do good here tonight. For one, the fans were expecting an awesome show, but they’ve been waiting so long they wouldn’t care what we did. The main reason I wanted to do well was because Haley was there. She had said she had been a fan, so that means she’s probably been to at least one of our shows. Hopefully she’d like the new stuff we sing too. All I had to do was be really hot. I’d have to do the ‘you’ve got me actin’ like a fool’ and ‘don’t wanna hear you’ really good tonight.

We were about to go on, and I was really nervous. I was always nervous, but this was different. I didn’t know if it was because we had been gone for so long or if it was because Haley was going to be there tonight. All I knew was I couldn’t screw this up tonight. I knew it would go away after the first or second song, but it still sucked. I hated being nervous. I could tell the other guys were too though. At least I wasn’t alone.

Before I knew it we were on stage with smoke and shit and everyone was screaming. It was definitely good to be back. We marched around and went into The Call. I’m pretty sure the entire place screamed every word to every song they knew. It was awesome. I could tell it was going to be a good show after the first song. The whole place was so full of energy. I forgot how much I loved performing.

Haley Narrating

It was totally amazing. Everyone was screaming throughout the whole show. They were definitely happy their boys were back. I sure was. They were doing great. They were so into the show. Nobody cared AJ couldn’t dance either. Then when they’d do their speaking parts between songs they knew exactly what to say to get everyone excited. It was probably the best show I’d ever seen them do. And I’d been to six of their shows, so I’d seen a lot.

Then they did a new song. The whole place screamed through the entire thing since they didn’t know the words. I think of the new songs the one that got the best reaction was My Beautiful Woman. Then again after Nick says ‘you’ve got me actin’ like a fool’ you don’t really hear the rest of the song. He was really hot when he did it too. I think the song that got the best response all night was either Backstreet’s Back or I Want It That Way. Nick actually sang the ‘don’t wanna hear you say’ part instead of making the crowd sing it. I never understood why he did that. He must know that’s the best part. The people come to see him sing it. They get to sing along with it on their CDs. Backstreet’s Back got a good response because it’s a great song and it was the last one of the night, so everyone just freaked out. Then Nick did the ‘am I sexual’ part. He knew everyone loved that part too. You could just tell.

Overall the show was amazing. After it ended we went backstage and the guys were still excited. We got back there and went right to them.

“Well girls, what did you think?” asked Kevin.

“It was amazing,” I answered. Danielle, Melissa, and Jen agreed too. It had been a really good show.

“What was your favorite part?” Brian asked.

“Larger Than Life,” I answered immediately.

“Backstreet’s Back,” Melissa said.

“Um, probably The Call,” Jen said. “It was really cool.”

“Yeah, it was. The whole show was great, but I liked the new ones,” Danielle replied.

“Glad you liked it,” Nick replied with a smirk. That fuck was looking right at me. Damn he was really hot. Especially on stage. He knew it too.

Nick Narrating

That was a good show. Everyone seemed to love it, and Haley seemed to genuinely like it too. Damn, she was so fucking sexy I couldn’t take it. Before I knew it I was jerking off in the bathroom like a fucking teenager who couldn’t bed a girl if his life depended on it. I had to go out tonight. I’d pretty much nailed every decent girl at the hotel, so I’d have to go to a club or something.

Less than an hour later I was at some club near the hotel. It wasn’t a big club or anything, but there were still some pretty hot girls there. Especially that girl in the corner over there. I started to walk over, and as I got closer I realized the girl was Haley. Danielle, Melissa, and Jen were with her. I decided to go over there anyway, since I didn’t know anyone else there. I walked up behind Haley. I know Danielle saw me but she didn’t say anything to Haley, so I went with my original plan. I walked right next to her and whispered in her ear, “Guess who.”

She spun around really fast and smiled when she realized it was me. “Hey.”

“Hi.” She said, “What are you doing here?”

“Well there’s nothing to do at the hotel, so I thought I’d come here.”

“Nothing or no one?”

“Both.” She did know me pretty well didn’t she? And I didn’t know a damn thing about her except that she was the sexiest person in the room right now and I couldn’t have her. I couldn’t even decide if I should ask her to dance. I just couldn’t handle myself around her.

“How long have you been here?” I asked her.

“About an hour. Long enough for all of my friends to get completely trashed.”

“What about you? You planning on getting trashed tonight?”

“Nope. I can’t. I’m driving. We wouldn’t want to be drunk driving now would we?”

Does everyone in the world know about that?”

“No. Just anyone with a TV, radio, or the ability to read. So I think you’re safe from the toddlers of the world.”

“I wasn’t even that drunk! I just had to swerve to avoid a tiny little pebble in the road.”

“And then when they took your blood there just happened to be alcohol in it?”

“Yep. Don’t know how that got there.”

“Of course you don’t.” Then I started hearing Danielle screeching that she had to go to the bathroom. She dragged Melissa with her. Then they headed toward the bathroom.

“Wait for me!” Jen yelled running after them. It seemed she could hold her liquor fairly well. She only tripped over six people on the way to the bathroom, and it was a full eight feet across the room. Now it was just me and Haley. Shit.

“Well,” said Haley, “I’m gonna go sit down and wait for my friends to come back. You, need to find someone to dance with because you look like and asshole standing here while every other person in the club is dancing.”

I couldn’t let her go. This was the only time I’d have her alone for a long time. I had to do something. I had to think of something fast. She was walking away from me. I grabbed her by the arm and said, “Why don’t you dance with me.” She just shrugged and said okay. Well, at least I didn’t get shot down. We danced together for a few songs, but then the rest of the girls came back so we had to stop. That was probably good otherwise I would’ve done something I’d regret. Like fuck Haley right here on the floor or I might have had enough self-control to drag her out into the parking lot.

Around 1 a.m. Danielle, Melissa, and Jen got bored and walked out of the club ready to leave. They were a little too drunk to remember that only Haley had the keys to the car and enough common sense to drive. Since the four of them left I figured I might as well leave because I didn’t know anyone else, and no one would be as good as Haley anyway, so why stay?

Haley Narrating

My friends are driving me nuts. They are so annoying drunk. Nick must think I’m crazy for having friends like them. Wait, why do I care what he thinks? It doesn’t matter. Besides, it was probably a nice change of scenery for him. I’m sure all of his friends were always completely sober. And, after a few days I’ll never really see him again anyway.

We all walked (or stumbled) into the parking lot. There Nick had to go one way, and of course my car was in the complete opposite direction. I continued guiding my wasted friends to our car, but in the process I dropped my keys. Nick must have been walking really slowly, because he wasn’t that far behind me. I told my friends to go ahead to the car. I figured if they got the wrong car they’d figure it out sooner or later.

Nick and I both bent down to get my keys. He got to them first and handed them to me. We both stood up, but neither of us moved. We both just stood there and, well, we basically stared at each other. It was really awkward. Then before I knew it, he was leaning in towards me. He was going to fucking kiss me. Should I kiss him back or move? Part of me felt like it was too risky to get involved with a Backstreet Boy, but another really, really big part of me thought “Nick fucking Carter is about to kiss you. Do you kiss him or move? You fucking kiss him.”

As soon as I was about to decide whether or not to kiss him I heard a car horn honking and Jen screaming at the top of her lungs, “HALEY WE’RE READY TO GO NOW!!!” Well, that obviously ruined the mood. All I could spit out was “Bye.” And I walked to the car. What just happened? Well, almost happened. I was going to kill Jen as soon as she was sober enough to feel the pain. Wait, no it was better this way. I couldn’t get involved with Nick. It would be too complicated. From this day forward I swear I will never ever touch Nick Carter. Well, maybe a little sex. No that would just make things worse. That was going to be a hard vow to keep wasn’t it?

Nick Narrating

What did I just do? I just fucked everything up worse than it was before. I can’t believe I almost kissed her. She wasn’t even going to kiss me back. Or was she? Oh my God what if she was going to kiss me? Alright that’s it. I’m going to physically hurt Jen. Wait I can’t hit a girl. Oh, I’ll get Howie to do it. He qualifies as a girl so there would be nothing wrong with him hitting Jen, right? Besides Jen could probably take him with her eyes shut.

I had to focus here. Had she been planning on kissing me back? I guess I’d never know. But what if she wasn’t going to? Maybe it was better Jen started screaming before I got shot down. Unless I wasn’t going to get shot down. That was the thing. I just didn’t know. And I never would. Unless we miraculously fell in love, got married, and had six kids. Then I could assume she had been planning on kissing me. But that wasn’t going to happen. This was real life, not some stupid fan fiction story.

Haley Narrating

Alright, so after we got back to the hotel I sent my friends to their rooms to pass out. They were going to have hangovers, but that was their fault not mine. Besides, I had my own problems to deal with. Like, why did Nick kiss me, was I going to kiss him back, and finally what would have happened if he had kissed me?

I knew I shouldn’t get involved even if it was only for a night. It would only make things complicated. But this was also Nick Carter. Nobody turned him down, and deep down I knew I wasn’t going to either. He tried to kiss me because he wants to sleep with me. I was going to kiss him back. And we would have been making out in the middle of the parking lot outside the club. Then we’d be on magazine covers across the country and I would become Nick’s latest whore.

Okay, now for the question that’s been eating at me, but I’ve been trying to ignore it. Did I want that to happen? Okay, I guess it wasn’t the question that was eating at me; it was the answer.

I decided to just go to sleep and hope this was all just a dream. Hey, for most girls it probably is right?

Nick Narrating

I had to figure out what to do. I was gonna see her again. It may be two months from now or it could be tomorrow. And if it was tomorrow I had no idea what I was going to do. Should I say something, apologize, or ignore it? I knew I didn’t want to ignore it, because I had really wanted to kiss her. But what if she didn’t want to kiss me? But this couldn’t be completely one-sided could it? I don’t know how I could like her so much, and have her not be the slightest bit interested.

Maybe if I just went to bed I could forget about everything. Then maybe I’d forget that I just made a complete ass out of myself because I tried to kiss the hottest girl on the face of the Earth and had basically been inches from getting shot down. Oh my God I sound like a 15 year old teenager don’t I. I’m a Backstreet Boy. Aren’t I supposed to be able to get any girl I want?

Maybe I still could. How I was going to get Haley I don’t know, but I couldn’t give up without even trying. Then I’d always wonder what would have happened if I had done something.