- Text Size +
CHAPTER 9

Haley Narrating

I was still jet-lagged from flying home last night. I hadn’t slept much since, well everything. Basically since I met the freaking Backstreet Boys I had never been the same. As I changed the channel on the TV I noticed TRL was on. I hadn’t watched TRL in over four years. Oh, that’s not true. I watched it that one day Nick was on for his solo stuff. If you had told me then that I would be on a date with him three years later I would have had you committed. A lot has changed since then.

Jesus a lot has changed. TRL sucked now. It had never been as good after Carson left, but now it was just awful. They showed like twenty seconds of the videos. And the videos were stupid. I didn’t like anything that was on except maybe Kelly Clarkson. But that didn’t count. Everyone liked her.

I changed the channel and my cell phone rang. I knew it was Danielle because she had somehow programmed my phone so that when she called me it played an *Nsync song. I would tell you which one, but they all sounded the same to me.

“Hey Danielle.”

“Hey. Look, I was just wondering if we were still going tonight.”

“Of course we are.”

“Won’t it be weird though? I mean two days ago you were on a date with one of them.”

“I know, but we’ll just make sure he doesn’t see us. It’s a big place. And it’s not like we’re front row.”

“Okay fine. I’ll see you later.”

Nick Narrating

This sucked. I wasn’t going to see Haley for like two months. I am bored out of my mind. We just finished another interview, and we were back in our rooms. I was so fucking tired of the same questions. ‘What did you do over the break?’ And most of us didn’t do shit. I know I sat there spending my money, but I couldn’t just say that.

Or ‘why didn’t you change your name to Backstreet Men?’ I swear to God if I have to hear Howie be like “oh, homedog, they’re my boys. Like my homies.” I was gonna fucking flip out. But then if Howie didn’t answer Kevin did and then that was the entire fucking interview because it took him so long to spit out the answer. And a little secret, the reason we didn’t change our name to Backstreet Men is because it sounded fucking stupid!.

And Kevin just got done screaming at me for leaving Incomplete in the hotel room. ‘It’s not the best song we have. Crawling Back to You would have been better you jackass. Blah, blah, blah, dumbfuck, blah, blah, asshole’, well there was more, but I tuned it out. I mean when I had packed the morning we left I had had a fucking hangover. How did you expect me to think when I had a hangover? It was a bitch of a hangover too. So, yeah all things good in Backstreet camp.

I looked at the clock. 2:30. Didn’t I have to be somewhere at 2? Fuck I better go look for everyone else. Maybe the meeting or whatever the fuck I was late for was running on Backstreet time. In that case I was three hours early. You know you would think we’d have outgrown Backstreet time by now. I mean I was the youngest and I was 25. I should be responsible enough to get where I needed to be on time. But everyone who knew me knew that wasn’t going to happen. I mean I didn’t even know what the fuck I was late to.


Haley Narrating

I tried not to worry too much about what I was wearing, but I kept finding myself looking in the mirror. I guess I cared too much what he thought. Oh well, it was all over now. It didn’t matter. He wouldn’t see me for two months and by then he’ll have forgotten all about me. Danielle and Melissa were at the door already so I decided to just go. Whatever I looked like, I didn’t care. I wished Jen had been able to come. But she had something going on with her family.

“Come on Haley, let’s go. I know you’re trying to look hot for the blond whore, but we need to go.” Danielle screamed from outside the door. My neighbors must love her.

“I’m coming I screamed as I walked out my door. I was pretty quiet while we walked to the car. I just let Mel and Danielle carry on a conversation about which guy cheerleaders from our gym were gay and which weren’t. Now I was wondering if maybe this wasn’t such a good idea. What if one of them saw us? It was one thing to hide from one person, but hiding from five was hard.

Nick Narrating

I was so not in the mood for performing. All day had been one long bore ass day of promo. I hate performing in a bad mood too. Because then you try and be in a bad mood, but then you start performing and it all goes away. But sometimes I just like to be in my bad mood.

We had finished everything we needed to do before the show, so now we were waiting around for the actual show to start. I was sitting here pissed off while Kevin was busy writing really fast on a piece of paper. It was kind of ironic that he talked so slow, but wrote so fast. Then AJ was trying to make it look like he actually had hair, but it was just impossible. Brian was on the phone with his wife, and Howie was on the phone. I didn’t mind that Howie was on the phone because usually that’s really entertaining because I like to throw things at his back, you know see what gets him to turn around. But then I ran out of paper clips.

I could hear everyone walking in. I so was not in the mood to perform tonight.

Danielle Narrating

So I was walking around outside waiting to be able to go inside. I don’t really know where Haley and Melissa were. I know they had told me, but I hadn’t really listened.

“Miss?” What the fuck? “Miss?” I looked around and saw some guy from a radio station who kept calling me.

“Yeah?” I answered.

“If you can answer one question about the Backstreet Boys you can have three front row seats for tonight.” Should I try and get them? Damn, I wish Haley were here. She would know the answer before I would. Wait, would Haley want them? It would increase the chance that Nick would see her. So she wouldn’t want them. That settles it. I’ll go for it. I probably won’t know the answer. “This is a pretty recent thing they’ve done, so you may not know.”

“Okay.”

“What cheerleading team just won $5,000 from them and gets to do promotion with them now?” You have to be fucking kidding me. Like seriously, how would normal fans know that? Did they have like some website that told you everything you would ever need to know about them? They probably did. And Haley probably went to it.

“Southington Cyclones All-Stars.”

“That’s correct. Here are your tickets.”

“Thank you.” I walked around for a while longer and I saw Haley and Melissa. “Hey, you guys, I just won front row tickets!”

Haley Narrating

Fuck. What if he saw me? Oh, this was bad. Danielle knew I wouldn’t want them too. She did this on purpose! This was ridiculous. We kept running into each other like it was a freaking movie.


“How?” I asked.

“Some radio station guy asked me a question and I got it right.”

“How did you know the answer?”

“The question was what cheerleading team won the sponsorship and everything.” The one question she would know was the question they had to ask.

“Guys, I’m gonna go get some food. I’ll be right back.” I just had to get away from them for like thirty seconds. Danielle kept giving me that look like, yeah I totally did this for you even though you didn’t want me to.

Melissa Narrating

“Danielle, you knew Haley wouldn’t want those tickets.”

“Yes I did.”

“So good job. I would have totally done the same thing.”

“She needs to deal with this, and unless we make her she won’t.”

“You’re totally right. Good move.” At that moment Haley came back. She of course had no food. She just needed to get away from us.

“We should go in now.” Haley decided. We all followed her in. We went to our seats, and they were really close. And when I say close I mean like three feet away from the damn stage. He was definitely gonna see Haley.

Nick Narrating

We went to go onstage and I was still in a bad mood. I just didn’t feel like doing this. We started to walk on stage with all the smoke and shit. Then I distinctly heard someone yell Howie’s so hot! That’s just not something you hear a lot, so I had to laugh.

We went through a couple songs before I could really see the audience. I was surprised I could see anyone. Usually all the lights prevented me from really seeing people. I looked at the audience while AJ sang his part and I saw someone I thought I knew. The chorus came and I started singing but I kept trying to figure out who it was.

I kept looking for three songs, and then it struck me. It was Haley. And Danielle and Melissa were with her. Holy shit. Why didn’t she tell me she was coming? I never even thought that she might possibly be here. Holy shit.

Haley Narrating

I couldn’t believe I had come. I should have stayed home. At the first costume change I got a text message. I figured it was Jen since she was the only other person that called me, but she knew we wouldn’t be able to hear. I opened my phone and saw that it was from a number I didn’t recognize. I figured it was one of those ads, so I’d read it and delete it. I read it, but it wasn’t an add.

Danielle yanked it out of my hand, probably after seeing the expression on my face. She read it out loud so Mel could hear it too. “U should’ve told me u were coming. Stay there after the show and I’ll send my security guard 2 come get u. nick.”

“Well, you’re totally staying.” Melissa said. “I don’t care if I have to go get duct tape and tape your fucking feet to the ground you’re staying.”

“Definitely.”

“But he just wants sex!” I said.

“Then go back there and fuck his brains out!” Danielle had a lovely way of putting things.

After the show, Nick Narrating

As soon as the show ended I sent my security guard out to get Haley. I really hoped she got the message. And I really hoped she had stayed. A few minutes later my security walked in and Haley was behind him. Good. Then my security guard walked out.

“Hey.” I said. Very original, I know, but there’s no hand book on what to say after a date where you got chased by screaming girls.

“Hey,” she said.

“So, you couldn’t get enough of me so you came to the show?”

“I didn’t know that was going to happen when we made the plans to come. And then you know, why not?”

“No, you just couldn’t resist me.” She laughed. I loved it when she laughed.

“You’re right. I just couldn’t stand not being around you.” Was it bad that it was actually true in my case?

“I’m really sorry about the whole fans chasing us incident.”

“It’s okay. Seriously. I don’t care.” I hoped she wasn’t lying.

“Good, because I had a lot of fun. Maybe we could do it again sometime.”

“Sure. I’d love to.”

“Good, and maybe this time we can avoid the whole chase scene.”

“That might be a little better.” We just kinda stood there for a while. Why did I have nothing to say to her? Then she said something. “So is that all or was there something else?”

“No, that was all.” Shit. I should’ve said there was something else. But then I’d just have to make something up because the only other thing I could think of was sex in that chair in the corner.

“Okay. I guess I’ll see you later then.”

“Yeah.” She started to walk out of the room, but all of a sudden my mouth was talking, but I didn’t really know what it was saying. “Haley wait. There is one more thing.” I walked over to her and looked at her for a second. Then I decided to hell with it. I leaned in and I kissed her. And I don’t mean a little bit. I mean I really kissed her.

At first she was surprised, but after a second she kissed me back. It was amazing. I had waited so long and it was like better than anything. I pulled away before I started to get too turned on.

“You have no idea how long I’ve wanted to do that.” I said.

“Well, since you’ve only known me for eleven days, I would guess about eleven days.”

“Maybe you do know.” I kissed her again, only this time I knew she’d kiss me back. I knew she wouldn’t run screaming out the door like I was afraid she might do last time. I don’t know what I would have done if she had, because it seems that until I have sex with her there’s going to be this thing where, well, I really wanna have sex with her. Although it may only get worse after we do have sex. But, I don’t think it can get worse than getting hard every thirty seconds when I’m around her.

“Wow.” She said. Yeah, that was kinda my reaction too.

“I don’t wanna wait two months to see you again.”

“Me neither.”

“Then, do you want me to call you?”

”Okay.”

“I’ll call you tomorrow.”

“Okay.” I kissed her again. I probably shouldn’t have, but I couldn’t keep my hands off her. Once again, not a good thing, but we all knew I couldn't control myself.