- Text Size +

* Chapter 11 *

"1...2...3...," I started counting slowly to bring in the band.

As they played the intro to my song, I nervously tossed my long curled blond hair over my shoulder and smiled out over the crowded dance floor, searching for a familiar face. The intro seemed to go by in slow motion as I located a face that I knew. I tried to remember all the things that I had learned a few summers ago at Jazz camp...don’t think about the words, it will only make you forget them...be yourself...and the best part, scatting...if I forgot the words, I could always scat. Before I knew it, the intro was almost over and it was time for me to sing. I took a quick glance at the face I had seen a few seconds before and saw a smile, so I smiled back as the couples on the dance floor begin to slow dance.

I don’t know why, but I’m feeling so sad...I long to try something I’ve never had,’ I sang effortlessly in my soulful alto voice. ‘Never had no kissin’, oh what I’ve been missin’, I sang as I looked out over the audience and caught a glimpse of Nick’s surprised and shocked expression. ‘Lover man, oh where can you be?

I listened intently as the piano player played his little solo after the second verse.

I’ve heard it said that the thrill of romance can be like a heavenly dream. I go to bed with a prayer that you’ll make love to me, strange as it seems,’ I sang the bridge of the song, then continued on with the last verse. ‘Some day we’ll meet and you’ll dry all my tears and whisper sweet little things in my ears. A huggin’ and a kissin’. Ooo what we’ve been missin’. Lover man, oh where can you be? Lover man, where can you be?’ I finished looking into the audience to find AJ, and gave him a told-you-so smile as the lights went out.

I hopped off of the piano, gave the band a quick thank you and met AJ by the steps of the stage.

"Wow!" he said as he gave me a half hug. "What else can I say but wow!"

"Thanks," I said as I pulled away slightly. "Now, it’s your turn," I said happily, lightly shoving him towards the piano.

"Ok, ok," he replied. "I get the picture!"

I watched him nonchalantly walk up to the piano man and talk to him quietly for a second, then hop onto a stool that was in-between the piano and the bass player before I made my way down the stage steps. As I looked down to walk down the final step, I saw two feet. My eyes looked up and saw that it was Kevin. He stretched his hand forward to help me down and I gladly accepted, not wanting to fall or ruin my new dress.

"That was, how do I put it, perfect," he said. "But next time, you have to let me play for you," he said with a smile as we walked past the dry bar (author’s note~dry bar meaning no alcohol) and headed towards the stairs.

"Thank you. I kinda had to do it...," I said, noticing that Kev was confused by what I just said. "They...well, AJ dared me too," I said correcting myself.

"Oh," he replied.

"So, what are you doing here?" I asked curiously. "I thought you had company."

"I do. I’m here with some friends," he explained. "We just got here as you went on. I had no idea that you were going to be here."

"Well, I guess you better get back to your friends," I said.

"Yeah," he said. "Hey, I’ll see ya tomorrow," he said as he left me standing by the stairs.

I went up the stairs and made my way back to our table, where I saw Court and Nick sitting. I went over by the table, but instead of sitting, I stood by the balcony and watched AJ on the stage. I wasn’t paying attention to what he was singing...I don’t even know what song it was. I was too preoccupied with his hair...his eyes...his smile...his voice... After a few minutes, I broke my stare due to the sound of clapping and the fading of the spotlight. I went over and sat down at the table, trying not to interrupt Nick and Court.

"Oh my gosh!" Court exclaimed suddenly. "You were wonderful!"

"Thanks," I replied.

"Yeah," Nick added. "You were great."

"I couldn’t help but notice the look of shock on your face!" I said to Nick trying not to laugh. "Were you really that surprised?" I asked curiously.

"Umm...no...yes...I mean...sort of," he stumbled as Court and I laughed out loud. "It’s just that you didn’t sound like the voice we heard earlier today," he said trying to cover his mess up.

"Uh...thanks," I said unsure of what to say. "I’m taking that as a compliment," I said as I smiled at AJ, who started walking towards the table.

He waved at me as he walked up to the table and took his seat beside me. I looked across the table at Court, who was in turn looking at Nick. ‘She must be falling for him’ I thought while I studied her face for some sort of unexpected facial expression. Then I slowly moved my gaze towards Nick, who was telling us about some new movie that was out. ‘He sure seems happy tonight’ I thought as I let my eyes wonder to look at AJ. He must have noticed that I was looking at him, because he paused in the middle of his conversation with Nick and looked at me and smiled. Of course I smiled back. Who wouldn’t?

"Hey AJ?" I asked.

"Yeah," he replied.

"Let’s go dance," I said as I got up and took his hand, practically pulling him off his seat.

We danced a few fast songs on the crowded dance floor and kept on dancing when the next song came on. AJ showed me a few new moves and just how good of a dancer he really was. ‘He is way underestimated about his dancing abilities’ I thought as the song came near the end. A slow song came on next. He took my hand in his and we danced for part of the slow dance when I noticed that Court and Nick were dancing next to us. I exchanged looks with Court and we decided that we would switch partners for the rest of the song.

"AJ?"

"Yeah," he answered.

"Would you mind dancing with my sis for the rest of this song?" I asked.

"Nope," he said as he grabbed Court’s hand from Nick’s shoulder and cut in.

I grabbed Nick’s hand while he watched AJ steal Court away. I placed my hands loosely around his neck as we began dancing.

"So Nick, are you having fun tonight?" I asked trying to probe my way into his emotions.

"Actually, I haven’t had this much fun in a long time," he said happily.

"That’s good to hear," I answered.

"Are you having fun?" he asked in return with a mischievous smile.

"I’m having a great time!" I replied. "I like it that you guys are totally different than many perceive you to be."

He gave me a semi-confused look so I continued.

"Take you for instance. Most teenage girls think that you are a simpleminded blond play toy that doesn’t know his right hand from his left...no offense," I said.

"None taken," he replied looking into my eyes.

"But I know that you are a nice, regular guy who has a mind and heart of his own and he knows how to use them. And AJ on the other hand..." I continued even more. "AJ isn’t a bad rebel boy like most girls think he is. He’s really sweet and caring, and he likes to make people smile," I said looking over at AJ dancing happily with Court.

"So...how is our great state treating you?" Nick asked to get my attention again.

"It’s really great! I’ve only been here for one day and I’ve had so much fun," I said excitedly. "How’s my sister treating you?" I asked sarcastically.

"She’s treating me real nice," he answered back. "I’m having a really great time with her. She’s fun to have around."

"I’m happy that you are having fun," I said.

"How’s AJ treating you?" he asked, wanting to know how I felt about AJ.

"He has been a perfect gentleman," I answered with a smile, not wanting him to know how I felt. "I haven’t been out with many of those lately."

"I’m sorry to hear that," Nick said concerned.

"No, no. It’s ok really," I replied. "It’s nice to finally find one though," I said right before the song ended.

"We are going to the little ladies room," I said as I grabbed Court’s hand and pulled her along with me. "We’ll meet you at the table," I said to the guys.

"I have some good news," I said to her quietly as we headed towards the restrooms.

"Well, I have a little news for you too!" Court said back to me.