- Text Size +

* Chapter 36 *

I stepped out of the cab after it pulled up in front of the club and paid the driver before he sped off down the street. I had spent most of the last five or six hours walking around the city, staying out of the ‘public eye’ so to speak and just trying to come to terms with myself. I had completely lost my appetite since that morning so I was feeling a little weak from not getting anything to eat, but I would manage for a few more hours.

"Hi," I said to the bouncer with a smile.

"Are you...are you Ellz? That sings with Meggie D?" he asked curiously.

"In the flesh," I replied happily.

"Say...I’ll make you a deal. You can get in free if I can get an autograph for my girlfriend," he reasoned.

"Sure! No problem!" I said as he led me in the doors past the long waiting line.

After I signed a little note and my name on a piece of paper for him, he told me that if I needed anything, I should come find him.

"Thanks," I said with a smile before I turned and headed for the dance floor area.

I stood on the edge of the dance floor before I spotted Arti and Meg sitting at one of the private tables in a dark corner with AJ, Howie, and Kev sitting with them. Arti and Kev were off in their own little world talking about who knows what and the others were trying to carry on a light conversation.

"Oh well," I told myself as I danced off towards the middle of the floor.

After I danced for a while, I took a seat at a far end of the bar and watched as a guy approached Arti at the table. She smiled happily as she stood up and went off to dance with him. Kev didn’t seem to mind much, but I knew he cared at least a little bit. I turned back to the bar and ordered a bottled water (I always drink water!) from the female bartender. I sipped on my water and sat there staring ahead in silence as someone sat down next to me.

"Where ya been?" AJ asked.

When I didn’t answer, he turned to look at me and put his hand on my shoulder.

"Alex, don’t," I said quietly.

"Please don’t be mad at me..." he said.

"I’m not mad. I want you to leave me alone."

"But..."

"I said, leave me alone," I said bitterly with my voice growing louder by the second.

"Excuse me Ellz. Is this guy bothering you?" Marco (the bouncer that let me in free) asked.

"Yes," I said angrily as I hopped off the stool and walked towards where the buff bouncer was standing.

"Follow me ma’am," Marco said as he led me to a secluded area.

"Thanks. I think I’ll be going now," I told him.

"Ok. It was my pleasure," he replied before he led me to the door so I could leave.

I walked out into the warm LA night and began walking toward the hotel. We weren’t really that far from it, so I just opted to walk and try to calm my angered nerves a little. I stopped on the street corner and walked over to one of the payphones that was unoccupied. After I found the page in the phonebook with the airline numbers on it, I ripped it out and started walking again. It took me about an hour and a half to get back to the hotel because I stopped every once in a while at a shop or stand along the way to look at some of the local ‘LA’ fashion. I bought a few cowboy hats and some new shades to go along with the few other pairs that I had.

"Yes I’d like to change my flight..." I said into my cell phone after I got into my room. "Yes. My current flight leaves tomorrow at 12:34 in the afternoon and I’d like to change it to the next possible flight to Salt Lake City."

I pulled the rest of my things into my suitcase as I was speaking to the airline agent on the phone.

"4:23 this morning...that would be great. I’ll take it," I said while I stuffed the last of my clothes in my luggage and attempted to close it. "Just one ticket. *pause* Yes. First class is fine. *pause* Ok. Thank you."

I hung up and began searching the room for any items that I might have left out by mistake. When my luggage was ready to go, my carry-on was packed up, and my small backpack was done, I lay down on the bed and took a deep breath. After lying there for a few relaxing minutes, I got up and wrote a short note to Arti and then another note to Mel and Cynth.

‘Arti ~ I had the time of my life with you these last couple of days! Come and visit me in Salt Lake before you fly back to England.