- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Sorry for the wait! Please review!
I sat at a table for two and watched nervously out the window at the beach. Aaron and I had decided to meet for dinner at a nice, but casual seafood restaurant called Shell’s in St. Petersburg. It was a long drive for me, but I didn’t have to get to work until 11:00 the next morning and I figured I hadn’t seen Aaron in a while and he was worth a night out. I didn’t understand why I was so nervous. Maybe because he was famous and probably had a million better things to be doing at this moment. I looked down at what I was wearing. Was I dressed appropriately? Was it too casual? Was it too much? I had decided on a white tank top that was trimmed with lace and black gaucho pants. I wore a pearl necklace from my mom with matching pearl earrings and short black heels.

“Shell?” I heard a low voice behind me. I couldn’t help the butterflies in my stomach.

“Oh my, God! Aaron! Wow, it’s so awesome to see you,” I jumped up from my seat and hugged him tightly. “You look amazing.” I smiled. He had on a black button down shirt with khaki pants.

“So do you! I can’t believe it’s been almost two years!” He hugged me tightly. I pulled back slightly and smiled up at him. “I can’t believe you’re in college!”

“I know,” I laughed softly. “Neither can I.” We both took our seats, his across from mine. The butterflies were still fluttering about in my stomach. Why, though? I wasn’t quite sure myself.

“How’s school?” He tried to start conversation as we waited for the waiter or waitress to take our drink orders.

“It’s okay,” I shrugged. “You know I never really liked school in the first place. Procrastination happens to be my middle name,” I smiled and he laughed.

“But you always managed to do well in school,” he complimented me. “I’m proud of you for going to college in the first place.”

“Well, thank you,” I blushed. I hated having the attention thrown in my direction. “What about you? How’s the famous life?”

My famous life or my brother’s?” He sighed. “Don’t get me wrong, I love Nick and I love being there for him, but these days it seems like he’s the only famous Carter around.”

“Oh, shut up,” I rolled my eyes with a joking smile. “You’re the famous Aaron Carter. I bet you at least one person will recognize you tonight.”

“Ah, a bet?” He cocked an eyebrow in my direction.

“Yeah, a bet,” I nodded and folded my arms on the table. I leaned in closer to him. “If I win, and someone does recognize you…” I bit my bottom lip in concentration, trying to think of something that he would have to do for me. “You have to come with me to North Carolina. We’ll make a road trip out of it.” I knew it was a long shot and I wasn’t even sure how Aaron would take it. We hadn’t really seen each other in a while.

“And if I win?” Aaron squinted in my direction.

“You decide. What do you want from me?” I laughed softly, thinking of how that sounded.

He glanced around the practically empty restaurant and looked back in my direction. “If I win, then you come with me to California for a movie premiere.” He replied.

“But, school,” I looked back at him.

“Oh, so you aren’t so confident after I throw what I want down on the table,” he laughed. I bit my bottom lip once more as Aaron put his hand over the table for me to shake. “They do have these people called tutors, you know.”

I glanced down at his hand and then back up into his eyes. “Fine.” I muttered and shook his hand over the table. I watched as the waitress approached. “Hmm, she has to be in her early twenties. She’ll know who you are for sure.” I grinned mischievously. Aaron just shrugged.

“Hi, my name’s Maggie, I’ll be your server this evening,” she smiled at both of us. “Can I start you two off with some drinks?” She asked. I felt my jaw begin to drop. She didn’t recognize him? How could she not?

“Yeah, uh, I’ll just have a diet coke. Shelby, what’ll you have?” Aaron smirked in my direction.

“Uh, same for me,” I stammered out as my eyes darted back and forth between Aaron and the server. Why didn’t she recognize him? He was Aaron Carter for God’s sake!

“I’ll be right back with your drinks,” she smiled and walked away.

“Pack your bags,” Aaron chuckled across the table.

I shook my head with a smile playing on my lips. “The night’s not over yet.”