- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
This chapter isn't incredibly exciting, but you learn a little about Shelby's past through her discussion with Aaron. Please review!
How in the world could anyone ever sleep on a moving bus? I was never good with sleeping on moving vehicles anyway. This one seemed to have extra bumps – and it wasn’t very comfortable. I sighed and rolled over on my side facing the aisle way. I lit up my watch on my wrist and saw it was 1:45 in the morning. I rolled out of the bunk and opened the curtain to the living room area. “Everything okay?” The driver asked me as he saw me approach.

“Yeah, just can’t sleep,” I smiled back at him. I walked to the kitchenette area and put a mug of water in the microwave for a minute and fifty seconds. I found a packet of hot chocolate and opened it up. I watched out the window as the trees passed by. What in the world was I doing? Oh yeah, I was on a bus with a guy I hadn’t really spent time with in a few years and we were headed across the country.

“You wanna make me a cup?” I heard a raspy voice behind me. I jumped and turned around to see Aaron. His hair was matted down and I couldn’t help but notice how form fitting his white wife beater was and how fit he was. His plaid blue and gray pajama pants hung loosely off his hips, exposing his gray boxers just a little.

“Yeah, sure,” I caught my breath and turned back to the kitchenette.

“I didn’t mean to scare you,” he chuckled. “I couldn’t sleep. When I saw your bunk was empty, I decided to join you.” He explained. I smiled and put his mug into the microwave as mine was finished. I emptied the contents of the hot chocolate into my mug.

“Sorry, I’m just not used to sleeping on tour buses, I guess,” I said as I pulled out another package of hot chocolate for him. I never felt uncomfortable around Aaron, until now. I was constantly trying to think of something to say or what to do.

“Ah, that’s something you never really get used to. I guess it grows on you after a while, but it’s always nice to be back in my own bed,” he explained. God, his voice was just so sexy. Especially since it was raspy from just waking up.

I heard the microwave beep and I pulled his mug out. I dumped the contents of the packet in his mug and stirred it. I handed him a mug and sat next to him on the couch.

“You seem different,” he said, out of no where. I nearly choked on my hot chocolate.

“What do you mean, different?” I frowned and pulled my legs up under me on the couch to be more comfortable. I saw him shrug.

“I don’t know, you’ve changed,” he replied. I tried not to laugh at how vague he was being. “It’s just…you’re grown up.” He shrugged.

“No shit,” I laughed. “The last time you saw me I was sixteen. I’m almost eighteen now.”

“Yeah, I know, but its more than that,” he shrugged again and took a sip from his hot chocolate.

“You’ve changed quite a bit yourself,” I looked over in his direction. “You seem more mature, unless that’s just an act I’m seeing.” I laughed.

“Nah, I’m more mature,” he nodded his head in a cocky gesture.

“So much for being modest,” I laughed. He laughed too as we both took another sip of our hot chocolate. “It kind of sucks that you don’t come around much anymore.” I threw out there. May as well start conversation.

“If I remember correctly, the door swings both ways,” he shot back.

“Uh, not when my best friend is a famous pop star and travels twenty-four seven,” I said. It came off a little rude, but I needed to get my point across. “You just don’t seem to be there whenever I need you.” I shrugged. “But it’s no big deal. I understand.”

“Shelby,” he sighed. “I tried to be there. I wanted to, really, I did.” He tried to assure me. I knew he meant well, but Aaron was never good at keeping promises. “What did I miss? Fill me in now. That counts for something, doesn’t it?”

“I guess,” I shrugged. “Two years after I left, my dad moved out. I blamed him for a while, but then I found out my mom had an affair. I didn’t talk to her for three months.”

“Wow, I didn’t know you and her weren’t talking,” Aaron frowned.

“No one really knew. I didn’t talk to anyone for a while,” I looked down at the mug. I made circles around the rim. I wanted to say something like, I guess I was waiting for you to call.

“I’m really sorry, Shell,” Aaron put his hand on my knee trying to comfort me.

“It’s not your fault,” I shrugged him off. I took one more drink of my hot chocolate. “I think I’m going to try to get some sleep now.” He nodded and I put my mug in the sink. “Night.”

He sighed and smiled up at me. “Night, Shelby.”