- Text Size +
Chapter 1

“Noel let me go! You’re hurting me.”
“Well, isn’t that a shame.” He said in an ironic voice. “Then stop resisting will you? We wouldn’t want to mess up that pretty face of yours. Will we?” His voice grew firmer as he spoke.
She looked down and tried to avoid eye contact with him, but he lifted her face and brought it closer to his. She could smell his breath of alcohol as he spoke again.
“You know, you’re making this very hard for me. You know what I want and it has never been a problem before. What makes it different this time? You know, you’re just like your mother,” he gave her an evil grin, “impossible to control, and crazy as hell.”
He suddenly felt a sharp pain between his legs, and realized that she had hit him. He moved his hands to cover up his area, which gave her an opportunity to get away from his firm grip.
“Bitch,” He said under his breath as she ran out of the room and towards the front door.
He quickly fallowed her, but the sharp pain between his legs made him move slower, and as he reached the front door, she was already gone.
“Fuck!” He yelled and ran out of the house. “Cassidy, you get back here right now!”
She could hear him yell after her as she ran down the driveway, out on the sidewalk and into the cold night. But she didn’t look back. Not this time. This time she wouldn’t give him what he wanted. She continued to run, not once looking back. She wasn’t aware of the rain until she had been running for so long that she had to stop and catch her breath. She was soaked by then. Her long dark hair was hanging down her face, her green halter – neck was clinging to her body and her shoes were so soaked with water that it felt like she was running around in a lake.
She took a minute to rest before she started running again. She never looked back to see if he was fallowing her, but she knew him well enough to know that he wouldn’t let her get away that easily. It was raining heavily now, the darkness of the night was closing in on her and she could barely see where she was going. Not that she needed to know, she had no place to go anyway. She suddenly heard a car getting closer and she froze dead in her tracks. It didn’t have to be him, many people lived in this area, but she couldn’t take that risk and started looking for a place to hide. She looked across the road and could barely see a large pile of dumpsters on the sidewalk. Pausing, she turned around. The car was getting closer, but due to the rain and the darkness, she was certain that the driver hadn’t seen her yet. She decided to take a run for it, but before she could reach the other side of the road, she heard the slamming of breaks, and everything went black.

“Man, did you see those fine ladies on the dance floor tonight? I wish we could have stayed longer. I would have loooved to get closer to that brunette.” Aj said and looked out of the car window.
Nick laughed. “Dude, you were pretty damn close alright. You were practically drooling all over her man,”
“Well, right back atcha bro!” Aj turned around to face Nick.
“What, I didn’t even touch her,”
“No, but you sure were drooling.”
“I was not”
“Were too!”
“Hell no!”
“Guys, stop it. Act your age, will ya?” Kevin said in a firm voice. “You’ll probably never see her again anyway. Why fight over her? You know, when you get married and find that special someone, these things seem so irrelevant.”
Aj and Nick laughed.
“Yea, yea, whatever dude!” Aj said rolling his eyes.
The three guys had been out partying for a few hours that night. They were all heading back to AJ’s in a taxi to spend the night there. They had a rehearsal the next morning for a show in Orlando the following night.
“Take a left here.” Aj said to the taxi driver.
“Man, it’s raining outside. Do you think we will have another hurricane coming in?” Nick said anxiously, looking out the window.
Kevin shook his head. “Nah, don’t think so. It would have been all over the news.”
“Man I hope so.” Nick said.
“Awe, little Nicky is scared.” Aj said and patted his friend on the shoulder.
“Shut up dude. I’m not scared, but don’t you remember what happened the last time we had a hurricane? I spent like two days in a studio recording a song for all those poor victims.”
“Duh, I was there too, remember?” Aj said.
“Guys, what is wrong with you tonight?” Kevin said looking at them both. “Why the angry tone? You didn’t drink anything tonight Aj, did you?”
Aj looked at Kevin stunned.
“What? Are you accusing me of drinking? You know I don’t do that shit anymore. I can’t believe you could think that! Hell, Nick didn’t even drink tonight man!”
“Ok, ok!” Kevin raised his hands to show that he didn’t mean anything by saying so, “I’m sorry Aj, I was just asking. I know you’re clean.”
They all just sat there for a while, not talking to each other. Their thoughts were soon interrupted by the taxi driver.
“Shit!!!” He yelled out loud, causing the guys to stir.
The driver quickly slammed the breaks; there was a loud bang, and then, silence. For a moment, they all just sat there, not knowing what had just happened.
Nick was the first to speak.
“Dude, I think we hit something.”
Kevin looked out of the window. “Not something. Someone.”
“Shit, shit, shit!” The driver had finally come to his senses.
He quickly opened the door and ran outside, followed by the other guys.
“Oh man, I don’t think I wanna see this.” Aj said, not knowing where to look.
“I think someone should call 911,” Kevin said as he followed the taxi driver over to the person lying on the ground a few feet away from the car.
“I’ll call.” Aj said. “Nick, you should help them,” he nodded towards Kevin and the driver standing by the person, “I would just be in the way.”
Nick nodded slowly and walked away, leaving Aj to call the ambulance.