- Text Size +
Chapter 12

“And remember what I told you guys…”
“Yes, we know Nick. Don’t ask questions…” Aj said
“… And especially not about her family” Brian continued.

The guys were on their way to the hospital to see Cass. Nick was so exited about the visit and had been talking about it non stop since he got home from the hospital the night before. He didn’t want to admit it, but he felt proud of himself for getting Cass to open up to him. He still felt like she was holding something back, but at least she was talking to him. As they sat in Howie’s car he was again informing the guys about the situation and what they should and shouldn’t do. In a way he felt responsible for making sure that the visit went as smooth as possible.

“You have to be prepared that she might treat you the way she treated me the first time. You know, she didn’t really want you to come today.” Nick said, as they pulled up in front of the hospital.
“Gee… Now I feel really loved.” Howie said rolling his eyes.
“No dude. I didn’t mean it like that. I mean, she wants to see you, but she’s nervous, you know. Now that she knows who we are.”
“Would it be different if she didn’t know?” Kevin asked.
Nick shrugged, “I don’t know. Actually, I don’t think it would make a difference. I think she’s only using it as an excuse. I think she’d be just as nervous if she didn’t know.”
“We’ll just let you run the show then.” Kevin said.
Aj raised his eyebrows. “Dude, we have to be allowed to talk to her.” He said as the guys stepped out of Howie’s car.
“Your definition of talking isn’t exactly appropriate, Aj. If you start flirting with her, she’s gonna freak out.” Nick said.
“I won’t flirt with her, man. I just wanna let her know who I am, and that I’m a nice guy.”
Nick rolled his eyes. “Sure, but if you scare her, I’m gonna kick you’re a**.” He said trying to sound threatening.
“Aww… isn’t that cute.” Brian walked over to Nick putting an arm on his shoulder. “Our little Nicky is trying to defend her.” He said pinching his cheek.
Aj laughed. “Yea, he so has a crush on her.”
“I do not.” Nick said, pouting.
“You so do” Aj said
“Do not.”
“Do too”
“Do not”
“Do…”
“Guys stop it. So Nick has a little crush on her, so what? Leave him alone Aj” Howie said.
“I do…” Nick started arguing again.
“…not have a crush on Cass!” Brian finished. “We know Nick.” He said as they walked into the hospital.
Nick crossed his arms over his chest and stopped inside the main entrance to get ready to defend himself even more.
“I don’t” he protested.
The guys just rolled their eyes and continued to walk towards the elevators.
‘Man.’ Nick mumbled to himself. “Guys, wait up!”
He walked after them over to the elevator and stepped inside. A few moments later they were at the right floor, and as they walked closer to room nr 113, Nick felt he was getting more and more nervous. He didn’t know why, but he had a strange feeling that something was different this time. The corridor was so quiet and not a single sound was heard. If he hadn’t been there as many times as he actually had the past week, he would have thought he was at the wrong floor. But as they stood outside room 113, he knew they weren’t. He took a deep breath, and spoke.

“Ready guys?”
They all nodded. Nick opened the door to the room, and they all walked inside.
As they entered, Nick’s heart skipped a beat.
The room was empty. They all fell silent for a few seconds. The bed had been made; the flowers that Nick had bought her were gone, and the room looked like it just had been cleaned.
“Where is she?” Aj said confused.
Nick shook his head. “I don’t know. She didn’t tell me she’d be transferred today.”
“Well, she must have mentioned something. I mean, she knew we were coming, right?”
“Maybe she didn’t know she’d be transferred.” Kevin said.
“I think we should ask someone.” Howie looked at the guys. “She’s obviously not here, so there’s no need to stay here and wait.”
Just as the guys were about to leave the room, a nurse entered. Nick didn’t recognize her.
“May I help you?”
“Yes, can you please tell us where to find Cassidy?”
The nurse looked at them, “Oh… I’m sorry, but she’s gone.”