- Text Size +
Chapter 13

“What? What do you mean gone?” Nick asked, panic spreading across his face. The other guys held their breaths as they waited for the nurse to continue.
“Well, she left this morning.”
“Left where?” Nick sounded almost angry.
“I don’t know…” The nurse said, almost excusing herself. “She was released earlier today. I don’t know where she is now. I’m sorry…” She said, as she began to walk away.
“Wait!” Nick grabbed her arm and held her back. “Do you know where I can find any information on her? Her last name, an address, anything?” He was almost begging her to give away information she did not have.
The nurse shook her head. “I’m sorry. I don’t know, and I can’t help you either. The hospital isn’t allowed to give out that kind of information. It’s confidential and is only available to the staff. I’m really sorry.” The guys felt sorry for her. She was young, and seemed to be very unsure about what she was and wasn’t allowed to say. They could tell she was sorry though.
Nick looked down. He put his hands in his pockets and tried to hide the disappointment he felt.
“It’s ok.” He shrugged. “It wasn’t a big deal anyways.” He turned around and walked over to the elevators, leaving the guys standing in the corridor not knowing what to do. Nick walked into the elevator and disappeared as the doors closed. The nurse looked at the four guys.
“Is he ok?” she asked.
“He will be.” Kevin said without looking at her.
The nurse nodded slowly and then walked away in the opposite direction of the elevators.
“I feel really bad now, for teasing him earlier…” Aj said sounding sorry.
Brian nodded. “I know, but the worst part is that I think you were right. I really do think that he has feelings for her.”
The boys went silent for a few moments. Neither of them knew what to say.
“I’ll go talk to him. We’ll meet you at the car.” Brian said and walked away to find Nick.

Brian walked out of the hospital and looked around. He spotted Nick sitting on a bench across the one of the parking lots, and made his way over.
“Hey,” he said, sitting down next to Nick.
Nick didn’t answer. He was leaning forward, resting his arms on his legs, and looking down.
“You ok?”
He nodded slightly, running a hand through his hair. Brian placed a hand on Nick’s shoulder.
“It’s ok to say you’re not, you know.” Brian said.
Nick slowly sat up. “I’m fine, ok?” He snapped. There was anger and hurt in his voice, and Brian instantly knew that he was lying. He sighted.
“Nick, I know you. And I know you’re denying the fact that you’re upset because she left without telling you.”
Nick didn’t answer. The two boys just sat there for a while without saying anything. Brian felt sorry for his friend. He knew that Nick had a hard time opening up to people
“I just don’t understand why she didn’t tell me she was leaving.” Nick finally spoke. “I mean, I sat by her side for over a week, and yet she treats me this way. I really wanted to get to know her Bri, but how am I supposed to find her now? I know nothing about her. We had a great time yesterday, and now she’s gone. I was so looking forward to see her again.”
“Well, we’ll just have to find her then. Won’t we?”
Nick looked up at Brian.
“Seriously?”
“Well, you can’t give up on love, man. Can you?” Brian smiled.
“It’s not love Bri, I hardly know her. It’s more like I’m… I don’t know… infatuated.”
“Infatuated?” Brian laughed a little. “When did you start using words like that?”
Nick shrugged “I don’t know. Like… now?”
“You’re weird Nicky.”
Nick laughed and nodded. “Yea, yea, I know. I hate the fact that Aj was right though. He’ll make fun of me for the rest of my life now.”
“We all knew he was right Nick. I mean, you do talk about her a lot, and it’s easy to see that you like her, and we haven’t even seen how you two are when you are together.”
Nick looked puzzled. “Is it that bad?”
“Yea, pretty much.” Brian nodded and laughed again as he stood up. “Ready to leave? We have a lot to do if we’re going track down a girl that we know nothing about.”
Nick stood up, and they both started walking towards the car.
“Well, we do know a few things about her.”
“Like what? Her name is Cassidy and she’s twenty two?”
“Yea… that.”
Brian sighted. “That’s all you know about her?”
Nick nodded. “Yea, sorry man… She never really told me much about herself.”
“Then what did you talk about?” Brian asked.
Nick shrugged. “I don’t know. Stuff…”
“Stuff?”
“Yea, you know. Music, books, you…”
“Well, you should ha… me?”
“Yea, well not just you. The group you know.”
“What about us?”
Nick and Brian had reached the car and were joined by the other guys.
“Never mind, Aj.” Nick said.
“Tell them Nick,” Brian said, poking him in the side.
“Tell us what?” Howie said.
Brian looked at Nick, who didn’t look like he was about to say anything, so he decided to tell the guys himself.
“We’re going to try and see if we can find Cassidy.”
The guys looked surprised.
”But you know nothing about her” Aj said.
Nick shrugged. “Yea, well, we’ll try anyways. Starting now.”