- Text Size +
Chapter 15

“Guys, this is useless. We are not going to find her. I know you think you saw her Nick, but that was two hours ago. She’d be gone by now anyways.” Howie said as they walked past the same record store for the fifth time.
Nick sighted. “I know. But I’m just so certain it was her. I just don’t want this chance to slip away. But you’re right D. I think we’re all pretty tired now. The mall closes in half an hour anyways.”
The guys walked back to Aj’s car and headed home, deciding that they would continue the search the next day.

Cass and Mary had finished their little shopping adventure, and Mary was now sitting in her living room. Cass had gone out a few hours earlier to see if she could get a job, and Mary was expecting her back any minute. Right at that moment, Mary could hear the front door open and seconds later, Cass walked into the living room.
“I got a job!” She said exited, popping down on the couch next to Mary.
“Oh, sweetie that’s great.” Mary gave the girl a hug. “What kind of job?”
“It’s nothing fancy really, but at least it’s something. I’ll be working night shifts at a bar downtown called “Spider”. Mainly, it’s cleaning off tables and stuff, like I said, nothing fancy, but the money isn’t that bad.”
“That sounds great Cassidy.” Mary smiled. “When do you start?”
“They said they needed me as soon as possible, so I’ll start tomorrow at midnight. And I have to work until after the guests have left and the place is cleaned up.”
“Well, then we have to celebrate!” Mary stood up from the couch and dragged Cass with her into the kitchen. “Come on. I have ice cream.”

The next day, Nick, Brian and Kevin headed to another local high school to see if the would have better luck there, then what they had the day before. Again, they had been led to an archive full of books from the 50s and up until the present.
“Well, here we go again…” Nick sighted and opened the first book. Brian and Kevin did the same. “And remember guys. Concentrate on the names, and not the pictures, k?”
They nodded, and began looking through the pages.
After one hour, they still had nothing. They were starting to get tired of looking, and Kevin was about to suggest that they should take a break, when Brian suddenly began laughing.
“What?” Nick said, looking at Brian.
Brian just continued to laugh while gesturing for Kevin to come and have look. Kevin walked over and Brian pointed at something in the book. It only took a few seconds for Kevin to join Brian in on the laughter. Nick just sat there with a confused look on his face.
“What?” He asked again, not bothering to stand up and check for himself.
Brian walked over to him a few moments later with the book to show Nick what they were laughing about. He put the book down in front of Nick and pointed at a name below a picture. Nick looked at it.
“Odd Middlefart” He read out loud. “Odd Middlefart? Seriously?” He started laughing.
“He’s an exchange student from Europe. I think it’s a common name over there. (And if you were wondering… yes, that is someone’s name. Although, where I come from, it doesn’t exactly have the same meaning as it does in English) It just sounds so weird. Poor guy, he must have had a hard time staying here because of that name.” Brian said, still laughing pretty hard.
“Man, I can’t believe he even dared coming here.” Kevin said, standing up.
The guys spent a few more minutes laughing about it before they went back to the books.
After two more hours, they still hadn’t found anything. They had finished looking through the last book, and decided to head back to Aj’s to have dinner.

“You know what?” Aj said as they were all sitting around the dinner table a few hours later. “I say we hit the town tonight. We haven’t had a chance to go out ever since the accident and I think we need to have some fun. Who’s with me?”
“I am.” Howie said exited.
“Me too.” Kevin agreed.
“Me three” Brian said.
“I don’t know guys. I really don’t feel like partying right now.” Nick looked up from his plate.
“Aww, Nick. Come on. You need to do something to get your mind off things.” Aj looked at Nick trying to persuade him. “It’s just one night. Tomorrow we’ll start looking for her again.”
“I don’t know…”
“Nick, come on. Aj’s right.” Brian said agreeing.
Nick sighted. “Ok… I’ll come.”
“Great! We’ll leave in couple of hours then.” Aj said.
The guys finished their meals and went to get ready for a night out.

Nick was sitting in the bar drinking a beer. It was close to midnight. Aj and Howie were on the dance floor surrounded by girl and Brian and Kevin were having a conversation across the room. Nick was getting a little drunk after too many beers and a few drinks, and was lost in his own thoughts as he heard a voice whisper in his ear.
“You look lonely. Want some company?”
Nick turned around and saw a blond girl staring at him. She looked young. Almost too young to even be there. But she was very pretty, and Nick only nodded his head as she sat down next to him.
“I’m Sam.” She said looking directly into his eyes.
“Nick” He forced a smile.
“I know who you are.” Sam said placing a hand in his thigh. Nick shifted uncomfortably, but didn’t remove her hand. He looked at her doubtfully. She smiled and licked her lips, and before he knew it, she had pressed her lips on his. He was surprised how straight forward she was, but he didn’t pull away. He was making out with a girl he didn’t know and had just met, but he was too drunk to even care.

Cass was exited about staring her new job, so she arrived early. She entered the back door and sat down on a chair in the staff’s room. After a few minutes, her new boss Mike entered the room.
“Hey, you’re early.” He said, standing in the doorway.
Cass smiled. “Yea, I know. I didn’t want to be late on my first day.”
“Well, then I have a suggestion. Why don’t you and have a look around. See what kinda people who come here. Get to know the place a bit better.”
“Sure, sounds like a good idea.” Cass stood up and followed Mike out of the room.
“You know, we get a lot of celebrities coming here, so you better prepare yourself.” Mike said as they entered the bar area. “Have a look around and come back here in 15 minutes, and I’ll show you what to do.”
Cass nodded and walked away. She looked around. There were quite e few people there. The dance floor was packed. All the tables around were taken, and there were a lot of people hanging at the bar ordering drinks. Cass stopped and stared at a couple making out by the bar. They seemed to be very into each other. She started walking in a different direction, but suddenly froze dead in her tracks. She looked over at the couple again, her heart beating very fast. It couldn’t be…
“Nick…” She whispered to herself.