- Text Size +
Chapter 17

The next morning, Mary was sitting in the living room reading a magazine, when she heard Cassidy walk out of her bed room. It was almost noon by then, and Cassidy had only slept for a few hours that night. She had been up thinking about Nick.
“Good morning sunshine!” Mary said cheerfully as Cass entered the living room. She looked awful. Her eyes were puffy and it looked like she had been crying.
“Honey, you look exhausted. What happened?” Mary looked concerned.
Cassidy popped down on the couch next to her, and sighted as she leaned her head on a big fluffy pillow.
“I ran into Nick last night at the club…” She said.
“Oh dear…” Mary put a hand on Cassidy’s shoulder. “What did he say?”
“Nothing much actually…”
She told Mary what had happened, and about what she had seen before she ran into him. When she had finished, she was almost crying.
“Oh, sweetie, come here.” Mary put her arms around her and held her, stroking her hand through Cassidy’s hair, and whispering comforting words.
“It’ll be ok Cassidy.”
“I don’t know what to do… I don’t know what to feel, or how to react. I don’t even know if I like him. I just want to forget about him, but I can’t seem to get him out of my mind.” She wiped away her tears and sat up, stroking her fingers through her hair.
“Things will work out eventually, Cassidy. All I can tell you is to just listen to your heart. It will tell you what to do.”

A few days went by and Cass was trying as hard as she could to forget about Nick. It didn’t work though. Every time she closed her eyes, he entered her thoughts. She kept his phone number in her wallet, but hadn’t called him yet. Deep down, she really wanted to, but she was afraid because she wouldn’t know what to say.

It was Saturday night and she had just changed into her working outfit, ready to start working, when Mike walked over to her.
“Hey Cass.” He smiled at her. “I have a different task for you today.”
Cassidy looked at him curiously.
“The club has hired an artist today. She will be holding a concert in about an hour, and I was wondering if you could take the responsibility and make sure that she gets everything she wants. Just keep her company for the next hour.”
“Sure. No problem.” Cassidy smiled, happy that she would be spending time “backstage”. Every time she was working, she walked around, afraid that she would run into Nick again. At least, now she would have and excuse to stay out of sight at least for a few hours.
“I’ll go get her.” Mike said. “She just arrived. Just wait here.” Ha walked away, and Cass sat down on a chair to wait for them. Moments later, Mike returned with a girl around Cass’ age. She had blond shoulder length hair, bright brown eyes, and was wearing a black dress that didn’t show off too much. She walked straight up to Cass and introduced herself.
“Hi, I’m Holly.” She smiled as they shook hands.
“I’m Cassidy, but you can call me Cass. It’s nice to meet you.”
“Well, I’ll leave you two girls alone.” Mike said. “Holly, be ready in an hour.”
“I will Mike.” She responded as Mike walked out of the room.

The girls started talking and Cass soon found out that Holly was a very nice girl, and that they had a lot in common. They were both twenty two, an only child and from Orlando.
“I have been singing all my life.” Holly said. “Mike is a friend of my boyfriend, and he hires me once in awhile to sing here. The money isn’t bad, and I get good publicity.”
“Well, I can’t wait to hear you sing.” Cass said exited.
“So… do you have a boyfriend?” Holly asked changing the subject.
Cassidy looked down. She was hoping that she wouldn’t ask her that question. She shook her head no.
“Did I say something wrong?” Holly said apologetically.
“No, it’s nothing, really.”
“Are you sure? You don’t sound too convincing.”
Cass hesitated. “Well… there is this guy. I’ve only met him a few times, but I just can’t seem to get him out of my mind. He’s been so nice to me, but I have a hard time trusting guys, because of things that have happened to me in the past. I guess I like him, but something is holding me back, and I just can’t seem to let go and open up to him.”
“That sucks…” Holly said looking concerned.
“I know. I just don’t know what to do. I know he wants to keep in touch, but I just can’t seem to decide what I want to do. Somehow, I have this feeling that he’s different, you know. Like his intentions are good.”
“Is he hot?” Holly asked, smiling.
Cassidy laughed. “Totally.”
“Well, go for it then.”
“I don’t know. I wish it was that easy.”
The girls continued to talk about Nick, but Cass never revealed who is was, and how they met. Thirty minutes later, it was time for Holly to get ready.

The club was packed with guests. Cassidy was watching Holly from the bar area, while cleaning tables. Holly had a really good voice, and everybody seemed to enjoy the show. As it came closer to the end, Holly turned to the band to signal that she wanted to say something.
“Thank you so much for coming here tonight to hear me sing. You have been a great audience.” Everybody was cheering. “I have one song left that I want to do, and I want to dedicate this song to someone that I just met backstage. So Cass, this one’s for you. Maybe it will help you decide.”
Cass looked stunned, and stopped to look at Holly, who just smiled and blinked in return as the band started playing.

I know there’s something in the wake of your smile
I get a notion from the look in your eyes, yeah
you’ve built a love but that love falls apart
your little piece of heaven turns too dark

listen to your heart
when he’s calling for you
listen to your heart
there’s nothing else you can do
I don’t know where you’re going
and I don’t know why
but listen to your heart
before you tell him goodbye

sometimes you wonder if this fight is worthwhile
the precious moments are all lost in the tide, yeah
they’re swept away and nothing is what is seems
the feeling of belonging to your dreams

listen to your heart
when he’s calling for you
listen to your heart
there’s nothing else you can do
I don’t know where you’re going
and I don’t know why
but listen to your heart
before you tell him goodbye

and there are voices
that want to be heard
so much to mention
but you can’t find the words
the scent of magic
the beauty that’s been
when love was wilder than the wind
Listen to your heart....mm..mmm

I don’t know where you’re going
and I don’t know why
but listen to your heart
before you tell him goodbye