- Text Size +
Chapter 2

The girl lying on the ground didn’t move. She was lying on her back, her eyes closed and her clothes soaked from the rain. A stain of blood made its way down her cheek and her swollen lips made her look beaten. Nick watched her as she lay there helplessly. She didn’t look dead, but still, he had never seen a dead person, so what would he know? Her hair was dark, almost black, although he wasn’t sure if that was because of the rain or if it was blood. It was hard to see in the dark. The lights from the car were the only thing that made them see what they had to, but not wanted to see. His thoughts were interrupted by Kevin’s voice.
“Nick? Hey Nick?” He placed a hand on Nick’s shoulder. Nick looked up. “I know this is hard bro, but you’re the only one of us that knows how to do this. You have to check her pulse.” Kevin knew Nick had been through this when he was taking his scuba divers license.
Nick slowly nodded and knelt down beside the girl. He took her cold hand in his and placed two fingers over her wrist. He could instantly feel her pulse, but it was weak, and he knew that she needed medical care instantly.
“She has a pulse, but it’s very weak.” He said to Kevin, not letting go of her hand. “Aj, did you call the ambulance?” He yelled at Aj through the rain.
“They’ll be here in 5.” Aj yelled back.
Nick looked down at the girl again, and tried to figure out what to do to help her in the meantime.
“Oh God, oh God, I hit someone. I swear I didn’t see her. She was just there. I was driving so slowly, and I just didn’t see her. I didn’t mean to hit her. I swear I just didn’t see her.” The taxi driver was pacing back and forth, pulling his hair and talking to himself. His voice was filled with panic. Aj approached him slowly, leading him over to the driver’s seat to make him sit down.
“Hey dude, it wasn’t you fault. We didn’t see her either. It’s impossible to see anything in this weather man. She’ll be alright. As soon as the ambulance gets here, she’ll be alright.”

Minutes passed, and finally they could hear sirens getting closer.
“Finally!” Nick said to himself.
Every minute that had passed had seemed like an hour. He felt completely helpless sitting beside her and not knowing what to do. He had kept talking to her, holding her hand, telling her to hold on and letting her know that everything was going to be alright. The ambulance stopped next to the taxi, and Kevin quickly led the way over to the girl, telling them what had happened.
“She was just there. I mean, none of us saw her, and the taxi driver was driving so slowly because of the weather.” He said as one of the ambulance personnel leaned over her to check her reflexes.
“She has a pulse,” Nick said quietly, “but it’s been getting weaker for the past couple of minutes.”
The guy nodded and said “Ok, I need both of you to step away for a minute now. We need to see what we can do for her.”
Both Kevin and Nick stepped away and walked over to Aj and the driver.
“Hey,” Aj said, “how’s she doing?”
Nick looked down and shrugged, “I don’t know, man. She has a pulse, but it’s hardly there. It doesn’t look too good to me though. Man she looks so fragile lying there, Aj. I wish there was something we could do.”
Aj nodded. “I know. At least you did something. I couldn’t even look at her. I hate things like this man. It really gets to me.”
They could hear sirens again, but this time a police car came closer and stopped behind the taxi where the guys were standing. Two police officers walked over to them, but said nothing as one of the ambulance personnel approached them.
“Guys, we’re taking her with us to St. James hospital. We can’t do anything for her here. She needs medical help.”
“Well, will she make it?” Kevin asked.
“To be honest, I don’t know. She might have internal bleedings that we can’t see at this point. She has a broken arm and a large cut on her stomach as far as we can see, but that’s all we can tell you right now. If you contact the hospital later, they will be able to give you more answers.” He said as he walked over to the ambulance that was ready to leave.
The sirens were turned on, and the car sped away out of their sight. The guys all looked over at the police officers, waiting for them to say something.
“Well,” one of them spoke, “I’m Officer Peterson, and this is Officer Michaels.” They all shook hands before Peterson continued. “I guess you understand that we have to ask you a few questions about what just happened?” All the guys nodded and the officer continued.” We can do it here, out in the rain, or you can come down to the station with us and we’ll get you some blankets and a cup of coffee.” Peterson said looking at the guys.
They were all dripping wet and shaking from the rain and the cold of the night.
Kevin was the first to speak. “Well, how many questions do you have, will it take long? I mean, we don’t mind doing it here. I think we all just wanna go home. We have an early rehearsal and a show tomorrow, so we really need to get home and get some sleep.”
The officers looked confused. “Rehearsal, show? What do you mean?”
“Uhm, we’re kinda in a group, and we have a performance tomorrow.”
“What kinda group?”
“The Backstreet Boys. I don’t know if you’ve heard about us?”
The officers both nodded. “Yea sounds familiar, but it doesn’t make you any less of a witness. But I mean, I guess we don’t have that many questions for you. I don’t assume any of you were driving?”
“I’m the driver, sir.” The taxi driver stood up from the driver seat.
“Ok, you will need to come down to the station with us. I hope you understand that.”
The driver nodded and the officer turned to the guys again.
“I’ll ask you the necessarily questions here, and then you can go home, but I need your phone numbers to contact you in case we do have anything else to ask you.”
“No problem, “Kevin said giving the officer the information he needed.
Then they were all asked questions concerning the accident, and 30 minutes later, they were free to go.
“Man, how exactly are we going to get home?” Nick asked when the officers and the taxi driver had left.
“We walk.” Aj said, “My house is like 5 minutes away from here. I didn’t realize we were this close.”
They all fallowed Aj in the direction of his house, and true enough, 5 minutes later, they were all standing in his hall, dripping wet, and very cold.
“I am so getting a warm shower right now.” Nick said, taking off his wet shoes.
“Me too, “Aj said
“Me three.” Kevin agreed.
“Well, see ya in the morning guys. I’ll use the bathroom at the end of the hall. Goodnight.” Nick said and walked away.
“Yea, goodnight.” Kevin said as he started to walk over to his bedroom.
“Kev, wait. Can I just talk to you for a minute?” Aj said quietly.
“Sure man.”
“Well, I’m just worried about Nick. I think this accident really got to him. I mean, he always gets so involved in things. He seemed fine when we were walking back here, but I don’t think he is. I just think it’s really important that we keep an eye on him for the next few days.”
Kevin nodded. “I know. And I was thinking, maybe we should go to the hospital tomorrow between the rehearsal and the show to see how she’s doing. It might be good for all of us to get some closure.”
“Sounds good!” Aj agreed, “Well, I guess we should get some sleep now, or at least try.”
“Yea. I’ll see you tomorrow morning then. 7:30 sharp. Goodnight.”
“Night bro.”