- Text Size +
Chapter 20

Nick woke up the next morning by the slamming of a door. He opened his eyes and looked around confused. Then he remembered that he had fallen asleep on the couch in Mary’s living room after sitting next to Cass by her bed waiting for her to fall asleep. He sat up, as he heard a sound coming from the kitchen. Suddenly, he saw Mary appear in the doorway. She looked startled to see him there, and he looked embarrassed down on his bare chest and quickly covered himself with a blanket.
“Nick?” Mary waked over to him. “What are you doing here?”
Nick laughed a nervous laughter. “Mary. Hi!” He raised a hand and waved at her.
“I… umm… I just, you know, I…” He stuttered. Just then, the door to Cass’ room opened, and Nick let out a sigh of relief.
“Hi Mary.” Cass said, walking up to the lady to give her a hug.
“Good afternoon sweetie. Now, why don’t you tell me what this young man is doing here, because he seems to have lost his ability to speak.” Mary said, smiling at Nick.
Cass turned around to face Nick. “Good morning.” She said to him. He gave her a small smile in return.
“You know what?” He said to them both. “I better get going. The guys are probably wondering where I am and I guess Cass has got something to tell you Mary, so I’ll just…” He pointed towards the front door, and quickly pulled on his shirt. Luckily, he had kept his pants on, just in case he ended up in a situation like this.
Mary looked confused at Cass, then back at Nick, but didn’t say anything. Nick walked across the room and towards the front door. Cass followed him.
“Thank you so much for helping me out last night, Nick. You have no idea how much that meant to me.” She looked up at him.
“I’m glad you called. I thought I’d never see you again, you know.” He pulled her into a hug.
Cass sighed and put her arms around him. Memories of the night before washed over her, and she closed her eyes to keep them away. She concentrated on the feeling of Nick’s strong arms around her waist and for a moment, she forgot about everything around her.
“Are you going to be ok?” He asked her.
“Yea.” She said as she broke away from his embrace. “I’ll be fine.”
“Call me of you need anything.”
“I will.”
“Ok, bye Cass.”
“Bye.”
“Bye Nick” Mary yelled from the kitchen.
“Bye Mary.” He said, and walked out of the door.

“Dude! Where have you been? We’ve been trying to call you all day. We thought something happened to you.” Aj said as Nick entered the living room.
All the guys were there, and they all stood up as soon as Nick walked through the door.
“I’m fine guys. There was this incidence, and I guess I forgot to tell you where I was.”
“No kidding!” Aj sounded angry.
“I’m fine, ok?”
“No, dude, it’s no ok. Howie’s been going on all day, talking about how you might’ve been kidnapped by some crazy fans, or ran away or something.”
“Gosh… I’m sorry guys.” Nick walked over to the couch and sat down. The others joined him.
“We were just worried about you, that’s all.” Kevin said, giving Aj a look that said ‘calm down’.
“Yea, you could’ve called Nick.” Brian said.
“Listen guys, just give me a chance to explain, ok? Something happened… to Cass.”
The guys went silent and Nick continued to explain what had happened the night before.

“Man, she’s one unlucky girl.” Howie said when Nick had finished talking.
They continued discussing the incidence for a good half hour when Leighann walked into the living room.
“Hey guys.” She smiled at them and sat down next to Brian. “Did you ask them?” She said to her husband.
Brian gave her a small smile, and looked down. “Umm…” He said.
Leighann sighed. “Honey… you promised you wouldn’t forget.”
He looked up at her. “I’m sorry…” He said, pouting.
“Ask us what?” Nick said curiously.
“Well, we kinda wanted to ask you a favour.” Leighann said. “Brian and I wanted to spend some time together this weekend, and we were wondering if you could watch Baylee. We leave tonight and we’ll be home tomorrow afternoon.”
“I’m going out with Kristen tonight.” Kevin said.
“And I have a date.” Howie responded.
“And I don’t have a life, so I’ll be home.” Aj said sarcastically.
“…and so will I.” Nick finished. “But I do have a life.” He added.
“Would you mind watching him then?” Brian asked.
Aj and Nick shook their heads. “Not at all. We’ll be the cool uncles. Ya know. Teaching him a few pick up lines, how to shake his diaper on the dance floor, get him a tattoo…” Aj said chuckling.
“… drive a car…”
“Nick, he’s three.” Brian said laughing.
“I know. Ok, maybe not drive a car then, but get him a tattoo?”
“Well, as long as you get him a heart that says ‘I love dad’ or something then…Auch.” Brian said as Leighann hit him on the shoulder.
“Don’t give them any ideas, hun.” She said and turned to Nick and Aj. “We leave at 6PM. I’ll get everything ready for you.”
“No problem.” Aj said.

“What’s the smell?” Nick said frowning.
It was 8PM and he and Aj had just sat down in front of the TV while Baylee was playing on the floor.
“I don’t know dude.” Aj said. “It’s not me, is it?” He smelled his arm pits.
“Nah… Don’t think so.”
“You don’t think….?” Aj nodded his head at Baylee, stood up, and walked over to him. He sat down next to the blond boy and sniffed.
“Holy shit…” He said, turning away. “I think big boy here left us a little present.”
“A what?” Nick looked confused.
“Well, you know. He left us a friend.”
“Huh?”
“A poop, Nick.”
“Oooh…”
“Let’s go little fella.” Aj said and picked up Baylee. Nick followed them into the bathroom.
“Give me a clean diaper, Nick.”
Nick went to get a diaper while Aj removed the used one.
“Dude, why does he have to smell so bad? I don’t smell that bad when I’m… you know.” Nick said holding his nose.
“Then again, you don’t eat smashed bananas and beans all day either.”
“Good point.”
“Now, which way does this thing go?” Aj said, trying to put on the clean diaper.
“Let me try.” Nick took the diaper away from Aj, and tried to get it right.
“You’re holding it up side down Nick. Let me do it.”
“No, I can do it. I’ve seen Brian do this tons of times.”
The guys struggled for a good ten minutes before they got it right. By then, Baylee was crying for his mom, and the boys had no idea how to make him stop. They put him to bed, and stayed by his side, trying to make him fall asleep. After two hours, they were exhausted.
“Man, how does Brian survive this?” Nick said. “Please Baylee. Just go to sleep. Mommy and daddy will be home tomorrow.”
“I wonder what Brian does to make him fall asleep.” Aj wondered.
Nick slapped his forehead. “Dude! Why didn’t I think of this before?”
“Think of what?”
“He SINGS!”
“He does?”
“Duh!!!”
“Well, what are we waiting for then?”
“What do we sing?” Nick asked.
“I know.” Aj smiled, and started singing.

Don’t pretend you’re sorry
I know you’re not
You know you’ve got the power
To make me weak inside
And Baylee you leave me breathless
But it’s ok
Cause you are my survivor
Now hear me say…


And Nick continued.

I can’t imagine
Life without your love
And even forever
Don’t seem like long enough.


By the time they had finished the song, Baylee was fast asleep. The boys gave each other a silent ‘high five’, and walked out of the room.