- Text Size +
Chapter 3

“Man, I can’t believe that actually happened.” Brian said as he sat down on the floor in the rehearsal studio for a short break.
Nick had just told Brian and Howie what had happened the night before, and they were all sitting there, talking about it. It felt unreal to all of them.
“I’m really glad I wasn’t there. I mean, I get to sensitive when it comes to situations like that, and I guess I would have just been in the way. I can’t believe you actually sat with her all of the time, Nick. That really tells a lot about who you are, you know.” Brian continued.
“Yea, well I didn’t feel like I had much of a choice at that time. God, you should have seen her Bri. She looked so helpless lying there, and all I can think of right now is that her hand was so cold. Like ice.” Nick said, looking down at his hands.
“It must have been hard, man.”
Nick nodded, and quickly changed the subject. “So, when are we done here? I really wanna get some rest before the show. I didn’t sleep much last night”
“I don’t think there’s too much left now. I suggest we do ‘Just want you to know’ and ‘Crawling back to you’ a couple of more times, and we’re done. You guys agree?” Kevin said.
They all agreed and got ready to continue. As the guys walked over to the rehearsal area, Kevin approached Nick.
“Hey Nick, do you have a minute before we start? I wanted to talk to you about something.”
“Yea, sure.”
“Well, I talked to Aj, and we thought it might be a good idea to go down to St. James’ Hospital before the show tonight to see how she’s doing. You know, just to get some questions answered. You should come, Nick.”
Nick looked down again. Kevin noticed that he had been like that all day, never looking at the guys when they were talking to him.
“I don’t know Kev. I mean, what should I say to her? I mean, she doesn’t know us and we don’t know her. It will be awkward.”
“I think it will be good for her, letting her know that we care.” Kevin said, trying his best to convince Nick to come. “I think you need to do this for your own sake too. What happened last night affected you a lot, I can see that. Nick, I know you well enough to know that you need this, so please come with us.”
Slowly, Nick looked up. “Ok, I’ll come. But don’t expect me to go all sentimental over her, k?
“I won’t. We’ll leave right after we finish the rehearsal.”
Nick nodded and walked over to the other guys to start the rehearsal again.
15 minutes later, they weren’t even close to getting it right.
“Man Nick, you need to focus dude. At least sing in the right key!” Aj said frustrated.
“I am! It’s you guys that are off key!”
“Yea, we’re all off key, sure. This is your part,” Aj started singing Nick’s part.
“I know my part Aj,” Nick interrupted. “And that’s exactly what I was singing.”
“Umm,” Brian interfered, “Aj is right Nick. You are totally off key today.”
“Fine!” Nick said looking at Brian, “You know what? I can’t do this shit right now. This rehearsal is done!” He said and walked out of the room.
Howie sighted. “Well, that went well.”
“You know, that accident last night really got to him,” Kevin said, “I think we need to give him some space.”
“Dude, we don’t have time for space right now. We have a show tonight guys. I’m bringing him back in.”
“Aj, don’t.” Brian said, holding Aj back by his arm. “Kev’s right. Nick needs some time alone right now. And as for tonight, he knows his part. He’s just not focused right now. He’ll be ok tonight.” The other guys didn’t look too convinced. Brian continued. “Guys, we know him. He always gives a hundred percent. Seriously, we know these songs like the back of our hands, and so does he.”
“I agree with Brian.” Howie said. “Why don’t we all take a shower and get dressed, and I will drive you guys to the hospital. Brian, you should come too. You’re the only one who can make Nick talk about what he’s feeling, and he might need that afterwards.” Brian nodded in agreement.
“Sounds like a plan.” Kevin said.
“Well, at least don’t blame me if he messes things up tonight.” Aj said. “At least I tried.”
“He won’t mess it up Aj.” Brian said, “Come on, lets go get ready. I’ll see if I can find Nick to let him know we’re leaving.”