- Text Size +
Cass fell to the ground, sobbing uncontrollably, clinging to Aj and repeating Nick’s name over and over again. Around them, there were others crying out names of their beloved that were still inside the building.

“Nick…no…” She sobbed, burying her face in Aj’s chest. She closed her eyes, not wanting to see what was happening before her eyes.
“It’ll be alright Cass.” Aj could hardly speak himself. Panic was starting to overcome him, as he started looking around for any sign of Nick. The thought of losing one of his best friends scared him to death, and not only that, but knowing that he was the one that made Nick go back in the building, would haunt him for the rest of his life. He wanted so bad to go in there and look for him, but he knew couldn’t.

More paramedics had arrived, and the fire had drawn a rather large crowd. No one had seemed to recognize Aj, but he knew it wouldn’t be too long before rumours about the two Backstreet Boys would start spreading.
“He can’t be gone…” Cass didn’t know what to do anymore. She wanted to scream, but she didn’t have any strength left in her lounges because of all the smoke that was coming out of the building and surrounding them. The heat from the flames that hit her was overwhelming, but she didn’t care.
Suddenly, Holly bent down and put an arm around Cass.
“Cass! Look.” She pointed towards what was left of the main entrance. Cass lifted her head, and a small sound escaped her lips. Nick was struggling to get past the flames, carrying a little girl in his arms. Cass could hardly see him through the smoke, but he looked tired, and in pain as he handed the little girl over to the paramedics.
“Nick!” She released herself from Aj’s grip, and stood up.
Nick looked up at the sound of his name, and met Cass’ gaze. The look he gave her scared Cass beyond everything she had felt before. His eyes were filled with so much pain and horror, and before Cass even had the chance to react, he fell to the ground. Every thing seemed to be going in slow motion as she ran over to him, and kneeled down beside him.
“Nick.” She yelled, shaking his lifeless body. “Open your eyes.”
Paramedics rushed over to them, carrying an oxygen mask that they quickly put on. Cass looked down at her boyfriend as tears once again escaped her swollen eyes.

He looked so fragile lying there, his eyes closed, ash on his face, and a deep cut below his left eye. Cass grabbed his hand and squeezed it.
“Baby….” She cried. “Come on, don’t do this to me. I need you. Wake up Nick.”
She suddenly felt a pair of strong arms on her shoulder, pushing her away from Nick.
“No!” She struggled to remain by his side.
“Miss, we ‘ave to take ‘im to ze ‘ospital.” A paramedic said to her, his English very poor.
Cass nodded, but didn’t move or take her eyes off Nick. “Please, let me come with you.” She begged. Just then, Aj sat down next to her. Cass looked at him.
“I don’t know what happened Aj…” She looked down at Nick again. “Why isn’t he moving? Why can’t he just open his eyes?”
Aj shook his head, “I don’t know sweetie. Come on,” He grabbed her arm, “Let the paramedics do their job. We’ll meet them at the hospital.”
“Aj… I can’t leave him.”
“There’s nothing you can do for him right now, Cass. We’ll drive to the hospital right away and meet them there.” He said as the paramedics started to move Nick over to one of the ambulances. Cass stood up and Aj had to keep her from running after them.
“No… Nick.” She watched as they closed the doors, turned on the sirens and drove away.

Cass cried all the way to the hospital. Her face was buried in her hands as she leaned forward to shut the world away. Aj felt as if he was in a state of shock. He wanted to cry so badly, but he felt like he had to be strong for Cass’ sake. Holly hadn’t said a word since they drove away in the taxi that had been set up for them. Silent tears fell down her cheeks as she rested her head on Aj’s shoulder and stroke his arm gently. She could feel him shaking, and she knew he was crying on the inside, trying to hide what he felt.
“It’s ok to cry baby.” She whispered to him, not even sure if he heard her.
When they reached the hospital, they ran over to the front desk to get the information that they needed. The nurse could hardly make herself understood, and Cass yelled at her for not giving them the information that they so desperately needed. After a few minutes they were taken to a secluded area on the second floor, and were told to wait there for further information.

“I’m gonna go and call the guys….” Aj said.
They hadn’t been waiting for more than five minutes, but to them, it felt like five hours. Cass and Holly nodded, but didn’t say anything. They were sitting next to each other on a small sofa by a large window, holding hands, and crying.
Aj left, and came back ten minutes later. It was obvious that he had been crying, but neither of the girls commented on it. He walked over and bent down in front of Cass.
“Are you ok?”
She slowly looked up at him. “Of course I’m not ok…” She snapped, and then leaned forward to hide her face in her hands while tears were still falling from her eyes.
“I’m sorry Aj….” She sobbed. “I just don’t know what to do. What if he doesn’t make it?”
“He’ll make it Cass.” Aj sat down beside her on the sofa, and put an arm around her shoulders.
“But what if he doesn’t?”
“Then I don’t know what will happen….”

Thirty minutes went by, and Cass was still crying, leaning her head on Aj’s shoulder, when the rest of the guys arrived. Brian walked straight over to Cass, pulling her up from the sofa, and putting his arms around her. He was crying by then, and so were the other guys. Neither of them knew what to say, but they all knew how the others felt, and knowing that, made it even harder.

Aj was sitting in the corner of the room, by himself, thinking about what had happened while Nick and he were inside the burning building.

*Flashback*

“Shit, I can’t see a thing…” Nick said, as they entered the building. The smoke was burning in their eyes, and it was hard to breath because of the thick smoke.
They searched their way into the main room, where they could hear several people crying for help.
“You ok?” Aj asked.
“Man it’s hot in here...” Nick coughed.
Aj looked around, trying to find anyone who needed help. He spotted a boy hiding under a table, and ran in his direction.
“Nick, I’ve got one. Nick?” He said, not getting any response. “Nick?” He yelled, and then felt a hand on his shoulder.
“Right here Aj.”
“I’m gonna help him.” Aj pointed at the young boy. “I’ll wait for you right over there.” He nodded towards a clear spot in the middle of the room just as flames started to make their way towards them.
“Shit. No, AJ, just take him outside. I’ll be right there.”
“Nick, I’m not leaving you.” Aj yelled.
“I’ll be fine, just go.”
“Nick, no.”
“GO!” Nick grabbed the boys arm and handed him over to Aj before he walked further into the room. Aj took the boy and ran as fast as he could out of the building, feeling the heat getting more and more intense by each step.

*End flashback*


Aj’s thoughts were interrupted by a doctor entering the room. They all stood up from their seats and walked over to him. Howie was supporting Cass, who could hardly stand on her own.
“You here for Nick Carter?” The doctor asked.
Brian nodded and took a step forward. “How is he?”