- Text Size +

Cass held her breath. Did he just ask her what she thought he had asked her? She lifted her head from his chest and looked into his eyes.

“What?” She whispered.

Nick looked back at her and squeezed her hand.

“I know this is sudden, and I know we haven’t been together for more than a few months, but what happened tonight, made me realize something. I realized that life’s too short to wait for something you already know is going to happen sooner or later. I could’ve died tonight, Cass… I could have died without letting you know how I feel. I love you…. More than anything I ever thought was possible, and I know that I want to spend the rest of my life with you. So why wait? I want to be able to look back at this moment and know that I did what my heart told me to do. And my heart tells me that I want to be with you forever.” He paused for a moment and bent down to kiss her forehead, before he continued. “I know this isn’t the most romantic setting to do this, I mean, I don’t even have a ring… You don’t have to answer me right now. I want to be able to do this properly as soon as I get out of here. But I’m dead serious Cass. I love you, and I want to marry you.”

Cass didn’t know what to say. A thousand thoughts were razing through her mind at that moment. “Nick, I….” She paused.

Nick shook his head and covered her lips with his fingers. “No, Cass. It’s ok. You don’t have to answer me right now. Just think about it, ok?” He leaned down and replaced his fingers with his lips, and kissed her softly. Cass felt almost numb, but in a happy way.

“Yes.” She whispered, as his lips left hers.

Nick smiled at her. “Ok, we should probably get some sleep now.” He said, leaning back.

Cass shook her head. “No, Nick….I mean, yes! I’ll marry you.” She smiled, and looked at his reaction.

Nick’s eyes lit up, and a big smile appeared on his face. “You what? You…?”

Cass nodded, and reached out to stroke his cheek. “I love you too Nick. There’s nothing else in the world I want more than to be your wife. I could never say no to that.” She said softly.

“Oh, Cass… I love you so much. I don’t know what I would’ve done if you had said no.”

“Well, you don’t have to worry about that now, do you?”

They shared a long and passionate kiss, both desperately wishing that they were somewhere else.

 

“You know, I never thought a night like this, could turn out this good.” Cass whispered once they had turned off the lights and were lying next to each other, ready to get some sleep.

Nick smiled to himself. “I know…” he sighed, pulling her closer. He had completely forgotten about the pain in his chest, and arm, and all he could think was that he was holding the girl that soon would become his wife.

‘”I can’t believe I’m engaged.” Cass said, laughing a little.

“Well, you better get used to the thought.”

“Nick?”

“Umm…”

“What do we tell the others? I mean… like, when? How?” Cass asked.

Nick thought for a moment before he answered.

“You know, I did mean what I said earlier. I want to do this properly, the traditional way, with a ring and everything. I think we should keep it to our self until then.”

“And when are you planning to do this?”

“Now, that I can’t tell you.” Nick teased.

“I figured you’d say that…” Cass sighed.

Nick laughed a little, and kissed the top of her head. “Well, you already know I’m going to propose, the rest of it has to be a surprise. But it will have to be in the nearest future. I don’t think any of us can hide it for too long. Everybody’s gonna wonder why we are acting this happy, when I almost died a few hours ago. But as I said, I’m not telling you when.”

Cass knew there was no point in arguing. He had made up his mind, she knew him that well. Instead, she leaned over in the dark and planted a kiss on his cheek.

“I love you Nicky.”

Nick chuckled. “Nicky huh? You’ve never called me that before.”

“That’s because you hate it… but I like it. I think it’s cute.”

“I don’t wanna be cute….” Nick pouted.

“Well, that pouting isn’t exactly helping you there.” Cass laughed.

“Aww… you suck!”

“Good night, Nicky.”

“Hey, I’m not done arguing here…”

“I am.” Cass laughed and gave him another kiss before she leaned her head on his chest and closed her eyes.

Nick sighed. “I love you Cass.” He whispered, reaching over to put his oxygen mask on.

A few minutes later, they were asleep, both with a smile on their lips.

 

The next morning, Cass woke up, finding Nick fast asleep next to her. She smiled as memories from the night before washed over her. She never thought that waking up in a hospital would feel this good. Giving Nick a quick kiss on his forehead, she got out of bed, and walked out of the room to find something to eat. It was almost noon by then, and as she passed the room she had been waiting in the night before, she saw that the guys were already there. Cass walked in and greeted them all with a smile.

“Hey guys.”

“Hey girl.” Holly walked up to her, giving her a hug.

The rest of the guys all gave Cass a hug and said their ‘good morning’s’ and ‘hello’s’.

“How’s Nick?” Kevin asked.

“Better.” She smiled. “He was still asleep when I left his room. But he was feeling a lot better last night.”

“That’s good.” Brian smiled.

They all looked like they had gotten the rest that they needed, and they were all in a much better spirit than the night before.

“We just talked to the doctor,” Brian continued. “Nick will be released this afternoon if all the tests come out ok.”

Cass grinned. “That’s great. I don’t think he likes it here too much.”

“How can anyone like a place like this?” Aj commented.

“Tell me about it…” Cass said. “So…” She continued. “Have you guys eaten yet? I was on my way down to the cafeteria. Wanna join me?”

“I’ll come with you.” Holly smiled, grabbing Cass’ arm and dragging her towards the door. “We have to talk.”

Cass looked at her curiously, “About what?”

“You’ll see.”

 

“So… what happened?” Holly asked once they were seated. The cafeteria was almost empty, but Holly had made sure to get a table in the far corner of the large room.

“What do you mean?”

“Cass…” Holly placed a hand on Cass’ shoulder. “We’re at the hospital. Your boyfriend almost died last night, and you’re grinning like you’ve just won the lottery. Something must have happened.”

Cass looked down and blushed. “It’s nothing. I’m just happy he’s ok.”

“No, no.” Holly shook her head. “I know you Cass. You can’t lie to me. Come on, tell me! I’m dying to know.”

“I can’t Holly.”

“So something did happen?”

Cass tried to hide her smile, but failed.

“I knew it!” Holly said excited. “Come on girl! I can tell that you’re dying to tell me.”

“If I do… You have to swear not to tell anyone. Not even Alex.”

“I swear!”

“Pinkie – swear?”

Holly laughed. “What are you, five?”

“Hol, I’m serious. You have to promise.”

“I’ll swear on what the heck you want. Just tell me!”

Cass grinned. “Ok…” She paused.

“Cass!”

“Nick asked me to marry him.”

There was silence for about two seconds, before Holly suddenly realized what Cass had just told her. She then let out a squeal, and jumped up form the chair, pulling Cass up and into a hug.

“Holly,” Cass laughed. “Calm down. People are staring.”

“I don’t care.” Holly said, jumping up and down, her arms still around Cass’ waist. “I can’t believe he proposed. You’re getting married! Oh my god. There’s so much to do. We have to find you a perfect wedding gown, send out invitations---“

“Holly!”

“What?”

“It’s not even official yet.”

“What do you mean?”

“Come here. Sit down, and I’ll tell you all about it.”