- Text Size +
Chapter 4

The ride to the hospital was made in silence. Nick hadn’t spoken a word to the guys about what had happened at the rehearsal. He didn’t know what to say to them. He felt guilty for ruining the rehearsal, but he couldn’t help the way he acted. He didn’t realize it, but the accident had had a bigger effect on him then he knew.

“Ok, we’re here.” Howie said as he pulled up in front of the hospital’s main entrance. “Brian and I’ll just wait in the car. You take your time. We don’t have to be at the arena for another 3 hours.”
“Why don’t you come with us?” Nick said, “I mean you’ll understand our situation a lot better if you see her too.”
Kevin nodded. “Yea, Nick is right. We’re all a part of this now, and it will be a lot easier to deal with this if we’re all aware of the situation.”
“Yea, you’re right Kev.” Brian said.
“Ok, we’ll come,” Howie said, “I’ll just park the car, and I’ll meet you guys inside at the front desk.” They all agreed and stepped out of the car.
“See you in a bit,” Howie said as he drove away and the guys walked into the hospital.

“I’ll go over and ask what room she’s in.” Kevin said as they entered the hospital.
“I’ll come,” Aj responded following Kevin.
“Me too,” Nick started walking towards the front desk.
Brian was busy looking around. “Man, this place really gives…” He turned around to see the guys walking away. “Hey guys, wait up!” He said, walking fast to catch up with them.
The nurse behind the desk smiled welcoming as they approached her.
“Hi,” Kevin said, “You had a girl coming in here last night. She was hit by a car. She’s in her early twenties, dark hair…. Do you know where she is?”
“One moment please, I’ll check the computer.”
The guys nodded and waited for her to give them some information.
“Ah, well.” She said after a minute, “Our mysterious Jane Doe.”
The guys looked at her confused as she continued.
“We have no idea who she is. She didn’t have any identification on her, and no one has reported her missing, or called in to check on her. I believe you don’t know who she is either?”
“No, we were in the taxi that hit her. We just want to know if she’s ok.” Aj said.
The nurse continued. “She went through surgery last night. She had some internal bleeding that needed to be taken care of. We put her in an artificial coma until she’s strong enough to manage on her own.”
“So she’s gonna be ok then?” Nick asked, practically holding his breath.
“It seems so.” The nurse responded. “Her condition is critical, but stabile. A lot of it is up to her. Let’s just hope she’s a fighter.”
“So, can we see her?” Aj asked.
The nurse nodded, “Yes, room 113, but no more than 3 at a time, and you have to be very quiet. And also, be aware of all the machines, like don’t touch anything.”
“No m’am.” Aj said just as Howie joined them.
“Ready guys?” He asked. They all nodded, and walked over to the elevator.
“113, huh?” Nick said.
“Yup, that’s what she said.” Brian said.
“Bad luck” Nick whispered to himself as the door to the elevator opened, and they all entered.
“What?”
“113, bad luck.” He said a little louder this time. “13, you know. Bad number…”
“Right…” Brian answered, a little confused.
They all went silent as the elevator moved closer to the right floor. None of them knew exactly what to say. There had been a bit of a tension between them after what happened at the rehearsal, but no one had said anything about it. Neither of them wanted to bring it up, and especially not now, in this setting. They knew that it was going to be hard to face yesterday, especially for Nick who seemed to have taken it very hard.

The elevator reached the right floor, and they all walked into the deserted corridor. Kevin started walking, and they all followed. He seemed to have taken the lead when it came to the accident. He was always making sure that everyone was getting the right information, and he was always the one to speak when they were asked questions or had to approach someone. Aj and Nick especially, didn’t mind at all. They had too much on their minds anyway.
“Here it is,” Kevin said as they reached room nr 113. “So, the nurse said only three at a time, so we’ll have to split.”
“I’ll go first with Brian,” Nick said looking down. “I just wanna get this over with.” He moved closer to the door, ready to enter.
“Ok,” Kevin said, “We’ll just wait here then. Take your time.”
Brian walked over to the door to join Nick.
“Ready?” He said.
Nick only nodded and took a deep breath as Brian opened the door and they entered the room.