- Text Size +

 

“I’m home!” Nick shouted as he stepped through the front door and into his house.

“In the kitchen.” Cass replied.

Nick smiled. He had only been gone for a week, but he had missed her terribly every minute of the day. When she had called to tell him that she had walked by herself, he felt so guilty for not being there beside her, and he swore that he would never leave her like that again.

He walked into the kitchen and walked straight over to Cass who was sitting by the table, reading a magazine.

“Hey baby!” She greeted him.

“Hey!”

Nick bent down and kissed her gently before he sat down next to her.

“Missed me?” She smiled.

“You have no idea.” He leaned over and kissed her again.

“Well, you’re just on time. I have an appointment with Lauren in one hour. You’ll come, right?”

Nick nodded, and grabbed her hand. “Of course I’ll come. I believe you have something to show me?” He grinned. “I’ll just take a quick shower, and we’ll leave.”

“Ok.”

Nick stood up and started making his way out of the room.

“Nick?”

He turned around.

“I missed you too.” Cass smiled.

 

“Ok, Cass. Are you ready to do this again?” Lauren asked, as Cass was ready to start her session.

Cass nodded and looked over at Nick who smiled reassuringly back at her.

“Now, don’t get your hopes up Cass.” Lauren continued. “I know you showed a lot of progress last time you were here, but that doesn’t mean that it will happen straight away again. Things like this take time. So be patient, ok?”

Cass nodded again. “I know I can do it Lauren. Last time… it was as if someone was talking to me, telling me how to do this, and I haven’t forgotten those words.”

Lauren smiled. “Good. Whenever you are ready, Cass.”

Cass took a few seconds to focus before she grabbed the bar in front of her and pulled herself out of the wheelchair.

“Good, now find your balance.” Lauren said.

Nick was holding his breath, watching every move that Cass made. He knew that she was really eager to show him that she could do it, but at the same time, he didn’t want to get his hopes up.

He watched her struggle to find her balance, but only seconds after she had stood up from the chair, she fell back, letting the suit she was wearing catch her fall. He could instantly see the disappointed look on her face, as he stood up from where he was sitting and walked over to stand next to her.

“D*amn it.” Cass said to herself.

Nick grabbed her hand and kissed it gently.

“You’re doing great Cass.”

“Try one more time.” Lauren said, helping Cass back in her chair, ready for another try.

Cass took a deep breath, and prepared herself to stand up again. Once she was on her feet, she took a few seconds to find her balance, and once she felt she had it, she carefully tried to let her legs carry her weight.

“Yes!” She could hear Nick whisper under his breath, as she struggled to focus on moving her legs. She knew perfectly well how to do it, but nothing happened once she tried.

“Come on Cass.” Nick said to her.

“I can’t…” She whispered.

“Yes you can!”

“No, they won’t move. I don’t know how.” She was on the verge of tears as she realized that she couldn’t do it. She felt her legs shaking from supporting her weight, and before she could react, she felt her body once again fall back.

After one hour, she still hadn’t shown any sign of progress. Every time she tried, and failed, hope drained out of her, and she got more and more frustrated.

Nick watched her, and wished there was anything he could say or do, but he knew it was all up to her. He could only be there to support her, and right now, that didn’t help.

 

Cass was quiet all the way home from her session, but once they got back to their house and she lay down on the couch, she broke down into sobs. Nick lied down next to her, and put his arms around her.

“I just wanted to show you that I could do it…” She cried.

Nick stroked her hair. “I know you can do it Cass. Just give it time. You’ll get another chance in a few days.”

“I don’t know if I can do this anymore Nick. I’ve tried so hard, for so long, and no matter how hard I try, I just can’t do it.”

“Don’t say that baby. You’re not a quitter. I’m not marrying a quitter, am I?”

Cass sighed. “No…” She whispered.

Nick smiled and kissed her lips gently. “Good, cause I know you aren’t.”

 

The next two months passed quickly. It was now only one week until the wedding, and Cass was so into the wedding preparations that she didn’t have the time for anything else besides that, and going to therapy. During the past two months, she had shown some progress in the recovery. She had walked a few times, but only small steps, and only for a few seconds. Nick had been ecstatic when he had seen her take the first few steps. He was so proud of the progress that she was making, and he always found ways of telling her how impressed he was on how she was handling her situation. Cass on the other hand, was very disappointed in herself, although she didn’t tell Nick. She wanted more than anything to be able to walk down the aisle on her wedding day, but as they got closer to the wedding, she realized that there was no way she would be able to do that.

She wanted to talk to Nick about it, but she didn’t want to sound like that was all she cared about. She knew that the most important thing was that she was marrying the man she loved, and nothing could take away that feeling of happiness.

 

On their wedding day, Holly would be Cass’ maid of honour; Brian would be Nick’s best man, Kevin and Howie would be the groomsmen, Leighann and Kristin the bridesmaids, and Baylee was going to be the carrying the rings. Cass had asked Aj a few weeks before if he would like to walk her, or as she said, push her, down the aisle. He had gladly told her that he would be honoured to.

 

Cass spent the night before the wedding at Holly and Aj’s place after convincing Nick that it was bad luck to spend the night before the wedding together.

“I can’t believe I’m getting married tomorrow…” Cass said, as she and Holly was getting ready to go to bed.

“Are you nervous?”

“Hell yea!”

“Is that a bad thing?”

Cass shook her head. “I don’t think so. I mean, I’m nervous in a good way. I’m marrying Nick Carter. That alone would make any girls heart burst.”

Holly laughed. “I overheard a conversation he had with Aj a few days ago, you know.”
Cass frowned and looked at her suspiciously. “Were you eavesdropping?” 

“Me? No way…? Ok, maybe a little. But I mean, they were talking really loud, and I just happened to be in the room next door, accidentally pushing my ear against the door…”

Cass laughed. “You’re such lurker.”

“Lurker? Is that even a word?”

“I don’t know…”

Holly laughed. “But anyways, Nick was telling Aj that he was really nervous about marrying you, because he didn’t want to disappoint you. He said that he wants to make you as happy as you’re making him, and that he’s never felt this way about anyone before.”

Cass smiled. “He said that? That’s like hearing my own thoughts. It’s exactly how I feel.”

“Well, it’s good to know you think alike.” Holly helped Cass get into bed, and sat down next to her. “You’re too perfect for each other.” She smiled.

“And tomorrow at around this time, I’ll be Mrs. Carter.”

“Cassidy Carter.” Holly said. “It does have a ring to it.”

Cass laughed. “Yea, I like it. Good night Hol.”

“Night Cass.”  

 

“Nick, calm down!” Brian said, looking at Nick who was pacing back and forth in one of the rooms inside the church.

“What if she doesn’t show up? What if she doesn’t want to get married?”

Brian sighed. “Nickolas, honestly. Do you really think she doesn’t want to get married?”

Nick stopped for a few seconds and looked at his friend.

“No?” He asked.

“No? You’re not supposed to answer a question with another one Nick. You want me to call Leighann and see how they’re doing?”

Nick shook his head. “No, it’s ok. You’re right. She loves me. She wants to marry me, if not, she would’ve told me. Wouldn’t she?”

“Nick, you love her, right?”

“More than anything.”

“Then trust that, and trust that she feels the same way. I know she does.”

Their conversation was interrupted by the priest walking into the room.

“Are you ready?” He smiled, looking over at Nick.

“Ready as I’ll ever be.”

 

“Oh, Cass. I can’t believe you’re getting married.” Leighann said with tears in her eyes.

“I can’t believe Nick’s getting married.” Aj laughed as they all lined up and got ready to walk into the church.

“Baylee, get over here.” Leighann called after her son. He ran over to her and she bent down to straighten his tie and give him the pillow where the rings were carefully placed.

“You remember what to do, right?”

Baylee nodded.

“Just walk down the aisle and over to daddy.” Leighann reminded him as the music started playing. “Go!” She whispered, giving him a push. Baylee walked away, and Leighann stood up, standing next to Howie.

“Good luck.” She turned around and whispered to Cass as the rest of them walked into the church, leaving Aj and Cass alone for a few minutes.

 

“So, you ready?” Aj asked, positioning himself behind her wheelchair.

Cass sighed “You know, the moment that I met Nick, I knew that we would end up together. I mean, who would spend a week in a hospital next to a person you don’t know? How did I get so lucky Aj? ”

“I’ll take that as a yes.” Aj smiled.

“So, how do I look?”

“You look beautiful Cass.”

Cass smiled back at him, tears forming in her eyes as the church went quiet and the organ started playing Air by Bach.

“Here we go.” Aj said, pushing her towards the door.

“Wait!”

 

Nick was standing by the altar, listening to the organ playing and waiting for the doors to open.

“What’s taking her so long?” He whispered to Brian who was standing next to him.

“She’s probably just nervous.”

Nick rested his eyes on the doors. Anytime now… he thought to himself. Anytime now.

He was just about to turn to Brian again, when the doors opened. He straightened himself up, and took a deep breath.

Cass was walking towards him, Aj supporting her weight as she slowly made her way up the aisle.

“Oh my god.” Nick whispered under his breath. He could hear people around him gasping as they all watched Cass walk down the aisle, a proud Aj by her side.

Nick looked at her, tears in his eyes as he realized that she was moving her legs on her own. She looked back at him, and their eyes locked.

“I love you.” He mouthed.

“I love you too.” She smiled back at him.

 

Cass felt as if she was floating down the aisle. The moment she saw Nick and their eyes met, she knew that there was nothing she couldn’t do when he was there to support her. Step by step, she moved closer towards him. The moment she reached him, she knew that they could conquer anything together.

Step by step.