- Text Size +
Chapter 5

The two boys slowly walked into the white room. The lights were dimmed and the only sound came from one of the machines that were attached to her body. Nick looked at the girl lying in the bed and was instantly reminded of the tragedy that happened the night before. He had thought about it all day, but seeing her lying there so helplessly made it all so real. It was like he couldn’t deny the fact that it had really happened. He slowly walked over to the bed, closely followed by Brian. For a while they just stood next to her, taking it all in and trying to find something to say that would make sense. She looked so fragile and pale. Part of her face was bruised, her arm was broken, and she had a nasty cut on her upper lip. But despite all this, Nick found himself thinking that she must be a very beautiful girl.

“I don’t know what to say…” Brian said, glancing over at Nick.
Nick shook his head.
“You read my mind. I don’t know either. I mean, God Brian, look at her. I wish I knew what to feel, but every time I think about it I get more confused. I don’t know her, but somehow I just can’t but help feeling sad. She doesn’t deserve this. No one does.”
“I know man. I wish we knew her name so that we could talk to her. I believe they say that people in a coma can hear you, and that it can help them return.”
“Well, we don’t have to know her name to talk to her, but I don’t think I’m ready to do that anyway. I’d feel awkward.”
Brian nodded.
“I know what you mean. Maybe later then…”
“Yea. Later.”

They fell silent again, lost in their own thoughts. Deep inside, Nick knew that he wanted to talk to her, but it would be weird to do it in front of Brian. He felt like that was something he wanted to do when he was alone with her. Not that he ever thought he would be, but maybe he’d try some other time if he ever saw her again.

“So, you wanna stay any longer?” Brian asked after a few minutes.
“Nah, I’m fine. Actually I think I need to be by myself for a while. You know, just clear my head.” Nick took one last look at the girl, before following Brian out of the room.

“So, how was it?” Aj asked as Brian and Nick walked over to the others.
“Hard.” Nick said. “I just need some fresh air. I’ll meet you guys out front when you’re done here. Take your time.” He said as he walked off towards the elevator without waiting for the guys to respond.
“What was that all about?” Aj asked Brian.
“I don’t know, but I think it was really hard for him to see her. It made it all a bit more real, I guess. You should be prepared for that too. She looks really bad, but still there’s something about her. I don’t know what it is, but I think Nick saw it too. She looks almost sad, although you can’t really see an expression on her face.”
Kevin looked confused.
“That doesn’t really make sense, but we’ll understand when we see her. You guys ready?”
“Yup.” Howie said, as Aj nodded.
“I’ll wait for you here.” Brian said, and the three guys walked into the room.

Later that night after the show, they were all hanging backstage. The tension between them was lighter, and Nick even seemed to be in a good mood. Aj was surfing the net on his laptop, Kevin was reading a magazine and the others were just watching Aj and Kevin.
“The show went well, I think.” Howie said.
“Yea, I know. I was so worried that Nick might fu*** it all up after what happened at the rehearsal today, but it was all good. No offence man.” Aj said to Nick looking up from the laptop.
“None taken.” He responded. “I know I was out of it earlier today. I shouldn’t have taken it out on you guys, but I really didn’t know how to react, you know.”
“Who’s Thor?” Aj said, changing the subject.
“Thor who?” Brian asked.
“I don’t know dude. I’m checking out the message board on Weird World, and they’re all talking about Thor.”
“Dawg, you don’t wanna know.” Nick said.
“What, you know?” Aj looked up from the screen again.
“Yea, sort of…”
“Well…”
“Well what?”
“Well, tell us!”
Nick shook his head. “I think you’ll be better off without knowing.”
“Aww, come on dude. You say A, you have to say B.”
“No, you said A, and I’m not saying B!”
“Nick, come on. I’ll find out eventually. I’ll just post a message under a different name asking someone to tell me.”
Brian nodded. “Yea Nick. Tell us!”
Nick sighted. “Fine, but promise you won’t laugh.”
“We won’t laugh” Brian said.
“Ok then. Thor is what the fans call my ****” He said, his face turning red.
There was silence for about two seconds before the guys burst out laughing.
“Guys, you promised not to laugh.” Nick said, his face now in a deep shade of purple.
“Man, I’m sorry,” Brian said under his breath, “but are you serious?”
“Yes Bri, I’m serious.”
“Dude, I want a name like that too!” Aj said, still laughing pretty hard.
“It’s a fan thing, Aj. It’s not like I asked them to name it. If they want you to have a name for it, they’ll find one, believe me! So, anybody hungry?” Nick said, trying to find a way to change the subject. It didn’t work though, and the guys spent the rest of the evening laughing about it.