- Text Size +
Chapter 6

The next day, Nick was sitting in Aj’s living room, doing nothing. The guys were all staying at Aj’s place for the next week to look at suggestions for possible songs for their next album. Aj was the one who lived closest to the studio, and also the venue where they had their show the day before. It was the easiest solution for all of them to stay at his place. Brian and Kevin had also brought their wives, and off course Brian’s son Baylee. They had had the day off, and Nick had spent the entire afternoon on his laptop, surfing the net.

“Hey dawg, whazzup?” Aj said as he entered the living room.
“Hey Zeus!” Nick said
“Zeus? Who’s that?”
Nick grinned, “You.”
“Me?” Aj said confused, looking at Nick.
“Yup!” Nick nodded.
“Zeus?” Aj went quiet for a few seconds before his brain caught up. Then, suddenly his lips formed into a smile. “No way dude! Are you serious?”
Nick nodded again. “Yup. You’ve got yourself a name. Welcome to the club bro.”
“Wohoo!” Aj started doing a little dance on the floor of the living room, when Brian walked in, looking at Aj as if he had lost his mind.
“What’s going on?” He asked.
“Dude, I’ve got a name!”
Brian looked confused. “Umm… ok.” He said slowly.
“Guess what it is.” Aj said excited.
Brian looked even more confused, looking at Nick, trying to get an explanation.
“Umm… Aj?”
“No dawg! A name! You know, like Nick.”
“Your name is Nick?” Brian said, not following at all.
Nick interrupted. “The fans named his **** too.”
Brian rolled his eyes. “They did?”
Aj nodded. “Yup. Say hello to Zeus!”
“Umm, I’d rather… not.” Brian said as Nick started laughing and he continued. “I’ll just leave now, I think… yea leave... right.... good bye Zeus. Thor.” He said as he turned around and walked out of the room.

“So what are you up to?” Aj asked Nick, changing the subject.
Nick shrugged. “Nothing much. I was just kinda wondering if maybe I could umm… borrow your car. I have some things that I have to take care of.” He said, not looking at Aj.
“Sure man. What things?”
“Umm… nothing in particular, really. Just stuff.”
Aj looked at Nick suspiciously.
“Oh, ok. The keys are on the counter in the hall. We’re having a BBQ here at 6, so you might wanna be back by then.”
Nick stood up from the couch, “Yea, thanks. See ya later.”

Nick stood outside the door to room nr 113 wondering if he should enter or not. He had been lying awake the night before, thinking about what Brian said, about talking to her, and how that could help her in her recovery. He wanted to talk to her, but he was also scared that he might embarrass himself. What if she woke up while he was there? What if she could remember everything he said? What if he scared her, and only made things worse?
Nick shook his head. He decided to go inside, stay for a short time, and then leave without letting anyone know where he had been.

As he entered, he got the same feeling as he had the day before, the feeling that he wanted to leave, but still felt like he had to stay. He was drawn to her in a strange way, and even though he wanted to turn away, he couldn’t. There was something about the atmosphere in the room. He slowly walked over to her bed, and looked down at her. He thought she looked better than the day before. She was still pale, and her face was still swollen, but not so much. He pulled out a chair next to her bedside, and sat down, waiting for a moment before he spoke.

“Hi…” He said slowly and almost in a whisper. “I’m Nick.”
He let a few minutes pass not knowing what to say.
“So…” He said, tapping his fingers on the white sheets on her bed. “How are you?” He had to laugh at himself for asking. “Well, I guess that’s a stupid question.”
He fell silent again looking around the room. It looked cold and unwelcome. Next time, he had to remind himself to bring flowers.
“So… I don’t really… know you, but I wanted to see how you were doing.” He took her small, cold hand in his. “Your hands are cold…” He said.
Again, he didn’t know how to continue.
“I…. umm… I was in the car that hit you. I mean, I wasn’t driving. I was in the backseat with my friends. It was a taxi, actually. The driver didn’t see you, and it was raining so bad, and it was dark outside, we actually thought it might be a hurricane, and I don’t know why I’m trying to defend myself, and now I’m babbling, and I really need to… shut my mouth, now….” He said as his voice trailed off. “Way to go Nick,” he whispered to himself.
“So…” he said again. “I really wish I knew your name. You know, it would be easier to know who I was talking to. I mean, I could come up with one, like, temporarily. They call you Jane Doe, you know, but I don’t wanna call you that. Jane is my mom, and I don’t like her very much these days. I could call you, like peaches, or princess, or sleeping beauty, Cinderella, or snow white, and then I could be dopey or something, and I’m so babbling again now and I’m really sorry about that.” He sighted, putting his hand up to his forehead, “you’re pathetic Nick.” He sat there again, feeling stupid, and not knowing what to say.
“Ok, so I’m gonna leave now, before I make a bigger fool out of myself.” He slowly let go of her hand, stood up, and put the chair back in its place.
“So, maybe I’ll see you again then.” He sighted and looked down at her one last time.
“Bye,” he said as he turned his back to her bed and walked out of the room.