- Text Size +
Chapter 7

As the days passed, the guys spent many hours in the studio everyday, listening to different songs and making demos of the ones they liked. Aj and Kevin seemed to have moved on from the accident. They still spoke about it occasionally, but in a lighter tone than they had before. Three days after the accident, they had all gone to visit her again, spending almost two hours with her, talking to each other and to her. The guys also believed that Nick felt a lot better too, even though they were still wondering about his frequently disappearances after they had been to the studio. What they didn’t know, was that Nick had been visiting their friend at the hospital every night since the first time he had been there by himself. He would ask Aj to borrow his car, making up different excuses about meeting friends, going to the movies, or just not say anything at all. He would then spend about an hour, sometimes more, by her side. During the last days, he had gotten really into talking to her. He didn’t feel stupid anymore, so he was mainly telling her about his day, the guys, what kinda songs they were discussing and things like that. He didn’t know why he felt the urge to see her so often, but he had thought about it, and come to the conclusion that he was curious. Curious to see if he was able to make a difference in her condition, by talking to her, holding her hand, or just being in the room. Six days had passed since the accident, and she was looking a lot better. Her bruises had disappeared, she wasn’t as pale anymore, and the nurse he had been talking to, said that it was only a matter of days until she would wake up. Nick didn’t know if he looked forward to it, or if he feared it.

She could feel her head pounding as she slowly moved her arm to cover her eyes. The room was so bright, it hurt. Her entire body was aching, head to toe. She opened her eyes just a little, but it hurt so much she had to close them again. A weak sound escaped from her lips, and little by little, she became aware of where she was. The sound of the machines next to her bed made a familiar sound, and the smell of plastic reminded her of a place where she had been too many times before. Slowly, her eyes adjusted to the bright light, and she could finally look around. Her heart sank as she realized that she indeed was in hospital. At first she thought it was all a dream. The sounds, the smells, the voices rushing down the corridor. It was real. She wanted to go back to sleep, but just as she was about to close her eyes again, a nurse entered the room. She dimmed the lights, to make it more comfortable, before she walked over to the bed, smiling. She was a tiny woman in her late 50’s, with short curly hair, and kind eyes.
“Hey there. About time you woke up.”
The nurse sat down on a chair placed by the bedside.
“How do you feel?”
It took a moment to get an answer. She could see that the girl was struggling to find the words.
“My head hurts.” She whispered, her voice sounding crispy.
The nurse immediately reached over for a glass of water and helped her drinking a few sips.
“Well, sweetie, I must say you have been quite a mystery to us for the past week. We have been searching for any kind of information on you for the entire week, but found none. Why don’t you tell me your name?”
“Cassidy.” She whispered.
The nurse smiled. “Well, Cassidy. It’s very good to see that you’re awake, and we will talk later on, but right now I think you need to rest some more. If I’m not wrong, you’ll have a visitor in a few hours.” She smiled at Cassidy.
“Visitor?” she looked confused. Who would be visiting her?
“To put it like this, I believe there’s someone who’s going to be very happy to see that you’re awake. Now, get some rest, and when you wake up, you might be surprised.” And with those words, the nurse walked out of the room, leaving Cassidy to wonder what she was talking about.

Nick arrived at the hospital at 7PM that night. He parked Aj’s car in his usual spot, and walked over to the main entrance and inside the building. The corridors seemed familiar to him now. He even started to recognize the staff, running around. As he got closer to her room, he saw a nurse walking towards him. He recognized her as the nurse he had spoken to a few days before about the girl’s condition. She walked up to him, reaching him just as he was about to enter the room.
“Hello there Nick.” She said with a smile.
“Hello Mary,” he said, remembering her name.
“Nick, let’s sit down for a moment, shall we?” She said, taking his arm and leading him over to a bench.
Nick got a concerned look on his face. ”Did something happen to her?” He asked as he felt his pulse rise.
They sat down next to each other.
“Well, actually. Something did happen.” She paused for a moment. “Nick, she woke up a few hours ago.”
Nick looked surprised. This wasn’t what he had expected. This was good news.
“She did?” He said, smiling for the first time since he got there.
Mary nodded. “Yes. I just thought you wanted to know. Cassidy will be just fine. She’s a bit sore, but she’ll be fine.”
“Cassidy? That’s her name?”
Mary nodded again.
Nick had to smile. Cassidy. He tasted it. It suited her, he thought. It was nice to finally have a name to refer to. But suddenly, he felt he was panicking. What would he say to her? She didn’t even know him. It felt weird knowing that the next time he saw her she might be looking back at him.
“Don’t worry hun. It will be fine.” Mary said as if she had read his mind. “Just go in there. She’s still asleep. You’ll have some time getting used to the thought.”
Nick only nodded. He stood up, walked over to the door, and slowly entered the room.