- Text Size +
Chapter 8

Nick sat down next Cassidy’s bed. She was still sleeping.
It was different being in her room now. The machines had been switched off and she actually looked like someone sleeping, not someone fighting between life and death.
Nick placed his hand over hers. It wasn’t as cold anymore. He let out a sight of relief, and for the firs time, he actually believed that she was going to be ok. As the minutes passed, he got more and more used to the idea of her waking up and talking to him. He was still concerned about her reaction, but not so much anymore.

“Hi Cassidy.” He said. It felt strange using her name after all those days of wondering.
“It’s Nick. I’m just sitting here, waiting for you to wake up and talk to me.” He looked down at her. He wanted to keep talking to her, like he used to, but he was afraid that she might wake up and laugh at him. During the week that had passed, he had gotten so used to talk to her about his everyday life, that right now, it felt weird not to.
Suddenly, he felt her hand move, and he quickly pulled his own hand back. He felt his heart skip a beat and he shifted uncomfortably in his chair as she stirred and slowly opened her eyes. She let her eyes wander around the room, confused at first, but then she became aware again of where she was. It took a few moments for her to realize that she had a visitor, and when she did, she got a look of confusion in her eyes.

Nick didn’t know what to say at first. He felt weird sitting there, a stranger to her, and he didn’t even know if he should be there. She looked at him as if she was waiting for him to say something.
“Your eyes are green.” He said almost in a whisper.
“What?” She said. He was barely able to hear her.
‘God, did I just say that out loud?’ he thought to himself feeling stupid.
“I mean, umm… hi.” He said to her, smiling. She didn’t respond, and Nick thought she looked more confused now than before.
“I’m Nick. How are you feeling?”
“I’m sorry,” she whispered, “but who are you?”
“Oh, I’m Nick.” He held out his hand, but quickly pulled it back, realizing he had just said that. “Well, now I feel stupid.”
‘Did I just say that out loud again?’ he smacked his forehead.
“I’m sorry,” he said looking down at her. “I’m making a complete fool out of myself… I’m just really nervous, that’s all.”
“Why?” She asked.
“Well, I’ve been sitting here every night for the past week, wondering who you are, and if you were going to make it. It’s weird talking to you and finally getting a response, and I guess I’m nervous because I wonder what you will think of me.” His eyes were wandering around the room when he spoke, but as he finished, he looked back at her waiting for her to say something back to him.
“Could you please pass me that glass of water over there?” She whispered.
“Off course.” Nick reached over, and as he was about to give her the glass, he realized that she might need help. “Here, I’ll help you.” He supported her head with his hand and held the glass up to her lips. She took a few sips and leaned back to rest her head on the pillow again.
“Thank you.” She said. Her voice was clearer this time.
“No problem”
An awkward silence fell between them, and Nick wasn’t sure if he should ask her questions, or wait for her to speak first. He looked down at her again. She had turned her head towards the small window on the other side of the room, and seemed to be lost in her own thoughts. But suddenly, she spoke again.
“So, who are you again?” She asked without looking at him.
“Oh, right. Umm… I was in the car that hit you.” He continued telling her the whole story about what had happened the night a week before. When he was finished, she finally turned around and looked at him.
“Thank you, Nick, for staying with me all these days.”
He nodded. “No problem.” He paused for a few seconds, hesitating a little before he continued. “So, where is your family? I know they haven’t been here to see you. Do they live in a different city or state or something?” He asked, but as soon as he had said the words, he regretted it. Tears were forming in the corner of her eyes, and she turned away to hide them. She never answered his question.
“I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have asked.” He said apologetically.
“It’s ok.” She whispered. “I just don’t wanna talk about it.”
“I understand. Maybe you should get some more rest. I can come back tomorrow if you want me to.”
Cassidy shrugged, and sighed. “If you want to. But I don’t want you coming here only because you feel like you have to. I can manage on my own you know, and I don’t need your pity.”
Nick was taken back by her answer, and wanted to defend himself, but he didn’t want to make her think that he wanted to argue.
“I’ll see you tomorrow, Cassidy.” He said as he gave her a smile and walked out of the room.

‘Well, that was a strange visit…’ Nick though to himself as he was driving home. It hadn’t been quite what he had expected. She had acted distant, and although he knew that the accident had affected her, he had a strange feeling that there was another reason to her behavior. It was more to it than the physical damage the accident had caused her. Her reaction to the question about her family told him that much.
As he got closer to Aj’s house, he decided that he should tell the guys about what he had been up to the past week, and about Cassidy. He felt that it was only fair for them to know, and he actually felt exited about telling them.