- Text Size +
Chapter 9

There was silence in the room. Nick had just told the guys about the past week and the visits he had been making to the hospital. At fist he had been exited about telling them, but then that excitement had turned into nervousness. He had been afraid that they might feel like he had been doing things behind their back, but surprisingly, they had been very understanding. Kevin had immediately suggested that they all should go and see Cassidy the next day, but Nick had been in doubts about that. He had told them that she had been distant and weak when he spoke to her, and he wanted to see her one more time by himself before the guys went. Just to make sure that she was ok.

The guys only had two more days before they were done with the first process of selecting songs. They would then have 2 weeks off before they would start recording.
“We’ll go see her the day after tomorrow, then.” Kevin said, and the others agreed.
“If she’ll let us.” Nick said. “Remember what I told you. She made it perfectly clear to me that she didn’t want anyone’s pity.”
“We’re not doing it because of that.” Aj said.
“No, I know, but she doesn’t.”
“So, it’s settled then,” Kevin continued, “If she wants us to come, we will. If not, we’ll go anyway.” The guys smiled, and even though they knew Kevin was only joking, they definitely wanted to go.

At the same time, Cassidy was lying awake in her bed, thinking about Nick’s visit earlier. She knew she had acted a bit distant and cold towards him, but she couldn’t help it. She felt bad though. He had only tried to be nice to her, but she didn’t know if she could trust him. He was a guy after all, and she had never met one who had had the right intensions towards her. Her mothers’ final words were echoing in her mind.

‘They’re all the same Cassidy. Don’t give in to them, you’ll only end up like me.’

Cassidy wiped away a few silent tears rolling down her cheek. She missed her mother so much, and the only thing she could do right now, was to live up to those words.
Her thoughts wandered back to Nick again. She didn’t want to think about him, but his kind blue eyes seemed to have been haunting her for the past few hours. She couldn’t decide if she liked him, or if she was mad at him for asking her about her family. But still, she had to remind herself that he couldn’t possibly know what had happened. Poor thing, he was so nervous, and he was only trying to make conversations. She decided that if he came back, she was going to try to act a bit friendlier towards him, although she knew it would be difficult. She didn’t want to break the promise she had given her mother. Cassidy sighted. She felt tired after being awake for several hours, and decided that she would try and get some sleep.

Later that night, Nick and Brian were sitting in Aj’s kitchen talking. They had just finished talking about Cassidy, and her reaction towards Nick, when suddenly they heard something move on the other side of the room. They turned around, and they both smiled.
“Hey there, little guy.” Brian said as a blond boy of 3 walked through the kitchen door.
“Wanna come and sit on daddys lap?” Baylee walked over to the kitchen table, but shook his head.
“Nick.” He said, pointing at Nick on the other end of the table.
“Aww, you wanna come and sit on my lap?” Nick said, reaching out for Baylee who walked around the table and over to him. Just as Nick was about to loft the boy up on to his lap, Baylee lifted his little arm and hit Nick hard right between his legs. Nick winched in pain.
“Ouch!” He yelled, as Baylee giggled. “That hurt. Did you see that?” He asked Brian. “Your son just pounced me in the crotch.”
Brian stood up, trying not to laugh as he walked around the table and bent down next to Baylee.
“Baylee! That was not a nice thing to do! Tell Nick you’re sorry.” Brian said looking at Baylee who firmly shook his head. Instead he raised his arm again, preparing for another attack.
“Oh, no you don’t.” Nick said looking at the boy and pointing a finger at him. Baylee took a small step forward, and hit Nick again, right at the same spot as before.
“Holy s***,” Nick yelled out loud.
“Nick, do not swear in front of him.” Brian said.
“What, seriously? He just punched me again, and you’re defending him.”
“Nick, he’s just a kid. He’s in a period right now where he just likes hitting things.”
Nick looked offended. “Things? Thor is not a thing. He’s my pride dude.”
Brian laughed, lifting Baylee up, and carried him to the other side of the table.
“Hey, what’s going on here?” Howie said as he and Aj walked into the kitchen.
“Baylee just punched Nick in the crotch.”
“Twice” Nick added.
Aj and Howie joined Brian in on the laugh and Aj went over to Baylee.
“Way to go dude.” He said, giving the boy a high five.
“Hey,” Nick said, whining a little. “What about me? What about Thor?”
Aj smiled. “You know, as long as Zeus is ok, I’m fine.”
“Aww, you guys suck.” Nick said and walked out of the room.