- Text Size +
He sat staring out from their ocean front property. The sun was rising brightly. The scene around him was beautiful. He felt warmth fill him. Ever since the wedding day, he was happy to have joined the lives of eight other people. Besides they were all friends, well in a way. The five girls had been friends since they were in middle school. Each person in the couple was like their spouse. Could there be any faults in these relationships? Yes was his answer. Lately he and his wife had been having difficulty in beginning a family. Something just wasn’t working out.

“Darling?” he called for his wife. “Are we really going today?”

“Yes Nicholas. Today is the beginning of our lives.”

“I thought that was the wedding day!”

“Hmm... I thought the honeymoon.”

“Oh..I see see see!" He laughed scooping Crystal into his arms.

“This will be the best day of my life...um...after the honeymoon.” They both laughed as they went out to the car. Now that he was almost 25, they decided to adopt. It appeared that they both had an imbalance causing them not to have children.

“What are we gonna name her?”

“Her?! Girl, I want a boy!”

“But I want a girl!” Crystal pouted, her blue eyes shining brightly.

“Oh I guess we’ll just have to get both.” said Nick with a big grin.

“Oh Nicky!”

They pulled into the adoption agency. Holding hands, they walked in and had met with the counselor. “Take your time. They will come to you.” They walked into a room where children were playing. Nick stood amazed when he felt a tug on his leg. There was a little blonde boy who looked just like him at his age.

“Excuse me, Mister. Can you help me?”

“Sure buddy.”

“See that girl over there?” The little boy pointed over to the corner where a little brunette with curly hair sat, playing with a doll.

“Yes”

“Can you take her?”

“Why? Is she that pesty?”

“NICK!”

“Sorry”

“No. She’s been here for a long time. In her sleep, I can hear her calling for her family” said the little boy.

“Hum...we’ll see little buddy. What’s your name?”

“James.”

Crystal walked over to the little girl. What amazed her is this is what she looked like when she was a child. How she had hated curls.

“What’s your name?” The girl asked with shining green eyes.

“Crystal. How about you?”

“My name is Kacie.”

“I’ll be right back," she replied making her way back to Nick. "Nick I think we found them.”

“Yes I think indeed we did.”

They walked to the counselor’s office. “We want to adopt Kacie and James.”

“That will be a deal of paper work..you can pick them up at..”

“We can wait.” They said together.


~~~~ ~~~~~ ~~~~~ ~~~~~~ ~~~~
~1 Hour later ~

Kacie was on Nick’s shoulders and James was beside Nick, holding Crystal’s hand.

“So you’re our parents?” asked Kacie

“Yes we are.” Nick could feel his cup of joy overflow.